Author Topic: Religion and Relationships  (Read 21143 times)

Offline Arkaeth

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Religion and Relationships
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2012, 12:13:51 AM »
Gravity is caused by the attraction of the large of mass of electrons and the other entities protons, they attract together. Its a simple concept really, and requires no real basis of degrees or college education to understand.

I guess I must be the one to point out that this is not true?

You're close, but not quite right. A theory is an idea that has overwhelming evidence that has yet to be refuted despite multiple attempts.

Gravity is just as much a theory as evolution. Are you to tell me that Gravity is "just a theory" and that you can fly away because you don't believe in it?
Gravity isn't a theory in my opinion('tis a fact), but I was thinking on top of my head and forgot to mention to also say it support by heavy evidence.

With all due respect you're wrong, and whether it is your opinion that gravity is a "fact" or not has no affect on whether or not it actually is.
"In ancient times, men built wonders, laid claim to the stars and sought to better themselves for the good of all. But we are much wiser now."

Offline GeneralTrivium

• Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2012, 04:05:25 AM »
If we are to keep this interesting discussion open (which I really want it to) then you must contain yourselves from flaming, otherwise it'll be promptly locked and the stereotype of "every thread about religion is shot down in flames" will be reinforced. I enjoy discussing religion, and I do it without insulting my peers or my opponent.

The whole point of these discussions is not to convince the other party of your personal view, but to help them understand it. You're not going to help them understanding it if you just insult them.

Anyway morals, morals are subjective and derive from an observable process in the brain called empathy. Even the Christian Bible shows that morality is subjective. Do you still believe it's moral that you should be forced to marry your rapist? I think not.

Theories, it's often a mistake made by the religious community between layman's "theory" and scientific "theory". A scientific theory is a hypothesis that has been verified via experiments and observations, and therefore under much scrutiny. As for the theory of Evolution, if you understand Biology then you'll realise that the entire framework of Biology rests upon Evolution. And it works. Do you think scientists would rest an entire scientific field on just a "good idea" that "well, it could be possible"? No. This does not mean Evolution is an absolute truth, it is still open for scrutiny and if evidence is presented that parts of the theory of Evolution may be incorrect, then it will be revised.

« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2012, 10:05:03 AM »
If we are to keep this interesting discussion open (which I really want it to) then you must contain yourselves from flaming, otherwise it'll be promptly locked and the stereotype of "every thread about religion is shot down in flames" will be reinforced. I enjoy discussing religion, and I do it without insulting my peers or my opponent.

The whole point of these discussions is not to convince the other party of your personal view, but to help them understand it. You're not going to help them understanding it if you just insult them.

Anyway morals, morals are subjective and derive from an observable process in the brain called empathy. Even the Christian Bible shows that morality is subjective. Do you still believe it's moral that you should be forced to marry your rapist? I think not.

I left off a bit due to me needing to do school work.
Corruption has changed religion to benefit who controls it/what the person thinks is right(Hence the rape thing)(The brits would know this the best)
And before you go "LOL YOUR USING AN EXCUSE" Remember that corruption is in everybody's heart and is also one of Christians "Seven deadly sins" there are morals there that I agree with and others that don't, but who the hell is to say that the bible that you get at a book store/walmart(If your Texan like me :/) people change things to the way they see them/can translate them.

Every thing is subjected to corruption and corruption isn't just in the upper high-class/"ruling class"(Congress) its everywhere and I think that the religions of the middle east(If you don't know them all think of all the ones that have started wars in the last 3000 years over religion) where made to remove corruption/greed from humanity and people will always take things too far and change them to make them right.

If we're debating religion but its just the ones that come from the middle east, what about The Asian ones that people always forget?(I bet you lot can't name the major ones)
1:23 PM - Pvt. Emory[113thCav]: I think 604 is a cat :3

2:07 PM - Juggernaut: Monkey with a gun
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: + Chunkeymonkey79
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: =
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: CHUNKYMONKEY WITH A GUN69
2:07 PM - chunkeymonkey79: YOU SIR ARE GOD

9:52 PM - Rory Phelps: gosh god damnit fuck my ass

Offline Arkaeth

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2012, 10:14:28 AM »
and I think that the religions of the middle east(If you don't know them all think of all the ones that have started wars in the last 3000 years over religion)

This is one of the most blatantly ignorant statements I've ever heard made. First of all, it's obvious you're implying Islam here. Secondly, to say that this religion has started all the wars in the past 3000 years is simply ridiculous. I am in NO way standing up for Islam, but Christianity is hardly scot-free of blame. Secondly, even if it were true that they had started these wars, 3000 years? Really? Islam hasn't even been around for 2000 years.

It's somewhat frustrating and limiting to a discussion when its participants lack a BASIC understanding of the matter at hand yet presume to act as if they do.
"In ancient times, men built wonders, laid claim to the stars and sought to better themselves for the good of all. But we are much wiser now."

Offline GeneralTrivium

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2012, 10:35:33 AM »
Sorry Juggs, but you have done goofed hard on your history there.

« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2012, 10:38:03 AM »
and I think that the religions of the middle east(If you don't know them all think of all the ones that have started wars in the last 3000 years over religion)

This is one of the most blatantly ignorant statements I've ever heard made. First of all, it's obvious you're implying Islam here. Secondly, to say that this religion has started all the wars in the past 3000 years is simply ridiculous. I am in NO way standing up for Islam, but Christianity is hardly scot-free of blame. Secondly, even if it were true that they had started these wars, 3000 years? Really? Islam hasn't even been around for 2000 years.

It's somewhat frustrating and limiting to a discussion when its participants lack a BASIC understanding of the matter at hand yet presume to act as if they do.
I meant Christianity AND Islam.

Offline ???????£??Rose Nocturna???

• Kitsune Developer
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2012, 10:51:46 AM »
(I bet you lot can't name the major ones)

Buddhism, Confucianism, Shinto, Taoism are the only ones I remember practiced in Asia.

« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2012, 10:52:32 AM »
(I bet you lot can't name the major ones)

Buddhism, Confucianism, Shinto, Taoism are the only ones I remember practiced in Asia.
Nailed it in the head at a mile away.

Offline Mr Jive

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2012, 12:20:09 PM »

Don't forget Judaism! They have been around for almost 5000 years in the middle east (debatable on when it was actually a religion with structure). But yeah Christianity was implied because that's where it ultimately started. Its just a spin off of Judaism created by St Paul (that is right. Jesus was a Jew and his disciples were Jews until they died. It was Paul who drove other followers after Jesus died towards a new religion. If it wasn't for him its possible we would all still be Jewish, at least the Christians that is.)

Anyway that's beside the point. I love to read peoples ideas on religion but all in all its a pointless game. Unfortunately in life nothing (and I mean nothing) is certain. Quite literately fact does not exist. Its just down to likely hood of something occurring. For example: We were created 200 years ago by space shrooms who appeared from a cooking pot in modern day and time traveled. These space shrooms laid down the path for everything and define how we worked. By the time you finish reading this the world will end.

Now this is unlikely. But at the same time not impossible. Why? Because in all certainty no one was alive 200 years ago to dispute. Still you would be insane to believe it because all the odds are against it happening. For modern day theories its the same. Gravity may not exist, its unlikely, but it could be a lie. The point I'm trying to make (as insane as it is) is that religion is possible. It cannot be disproved, nothing can (In a sense). Its also possible that science is 100% accurate at the moment. But it might not be. If you get what I'm saying.

IMO the only thing that is impossible is us trying to disprove/prove religion.
OCRP IC name: Rudy Smith

Offline Arkaeth

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2012, 12:37:01 PM »

Still off by a thousand years.

Offline Arkaeth

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2012, 12:39:03 PM »
Do people have to disprove the existence of unicorns? How about dragons, or kracken?

No. Because there's no evidence to back these things up, people don't believe in them. It's only because of deception and self-deception that this is not the case for religion.

Offline GeneralTrivium

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2012, 12:57:11 PM »

Don't forget Judaism! They have been around for almost 5000 years in the middle east (debatable on when it was actually a religion with structure). But yeah Christianity was implied because that's where it ultimately started. Its just a spin off of Judaism created by St Paul (that is right. Jesus was a Jew and his disciples were Jews until they died. It was Paul who drove other followers after Jesus died towards a new religion. If it wasn't for him its possible we would all still be Jewish, at least the Christians that is.)

Anyway that's beside the point. I love to read peoples ideas on religion but all in all its a pointless game. Unfortunately in life nothing (and I mean nothing) is certain. Quite literately fact does not exist. Its just down to likely hood of something occurring. For example: We were created 200 years ago by space shrooms who appeared from a cooking pot in modern day and time traveled. These space shrooms laid down the path for everything and define how we worked. By the time you finish reading this the world will end.

Now this is unlikely. But at the same time not impossible. Why? Because in all certainty no one was alive 200 years ago to dispute. Still you would be insane to believe it because all the odds are against it happening. For modern day theories its the same. Gravity may not exist, its unlikely, but it could be a lie. The point I'm trying to make (as insane as it is) is that religion is possible. It cannot be disproved, nothing can (In a sense). Its also possible that science is 100% accurate at the moment. But it might not be. If you get what I'm saying.

IMO the only thing that is impossible is us trying to disprove/prove religion.

200 years ago it was 1812, and people were alive then :v

And tell me, is knowledge such loose weave of a morning when you decide to leave your house by your door, or by the window on your second floor?

Offline Mr Jive

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2012, 01:06:55 PM »
Sorry don't make the mistake that I believe in any way that the world was created 200 years ago by mushrooms. And yes I leave by the door but the window exit is still possible, its just unlikely I would take that path.

Offline GeneralTrivium

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2012, 02:40:11 PM »
Sorry don't make the mistake that I believe in any way that the world was created 200 years ago by mushrooms. And yes I leave by the door but the window exit is still possible, its just unlikely I would take that path.

Because you know that if you were to leave by the window on your second floor that you would fall and severely injure yourself.

Offline Mr Jive

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2012, 04:39:53 PM »

Because you know that if you were to leave by the window on your second floor that you would fall and severely injure yourself.

Exactly! That's what I'm trying to say. It is unlikely that I would leave my house like that because I would be stupid too. We should dismiss the idea because its soo unlikely but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal