Author Topic: TTT_Jungala  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Sexy Frog

• "Fire alone can save our clan..."
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
TTT_Jungala
« on: December 09, 2012, 06:35:28 PM »
Hey there peeps,

It's me, Sexy Frog. Some of you know me some of you don't whatever. Point is, I've been working on a new TTT map. For those of you who play TTT often, you may (or may not) have seen my previous map TTT_Gaint_Daycare which I was proud of upon release. Unfortunately I broke is because I am a moron in V2 and I have been too lazy to fix it and get V3 out. However, I had been working on a map called TTT_Poorland but sadly that broke as well because god knows why. And now I bring you TTT_Jungala. It's very near completion, if I had to give an estimation, I'd say roughly 97% done. Only real thing I'm have some trouble with is the traitor tester. For those of you interested, I will post a video in this thread so you can check it out. I apologize in advance for the weird camera wobbling shit, for some reason YouTube derped my video, it was perfectly straight but me not paying attention I agreed to the auto fix and they made it like that and I dunno how to change it back.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Y_LcKwrlI" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Y_LcKwrlI</a>

Feel free to give any kind of feed back, good or bad that I can use to edit this map before release. Hopefully, I can get this map out this month since I've been working on it for about a month or two on and off of course.

Thanks,
Sexy Frog

>No matter what happens, no matter how old I get.
>I'll never forget...
>Fats Mcgee. And his Retard Three.

Offline This is Red

• The best color in the world is  not red.
  • VIP
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: TTT_Jungala
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 07:26:13 PM »
Hello good sir.

From what I have seen in the video the map is looking good. It's big, colorful, and overall really neat. There are only a few nitpicks that I could find in the video, so here you go:

-The trees look a little too green. I understand that they are supposed to be covered in moss, but from a distance it just looks completely green.

-Some of the rock textures had some blue in it. Nothing really big here, could just be shadowed areas under the rock, w/e.

-Obvious one, the ladder at 3:02 is missing a few textures.

-At 3:56 you are walking across a bridge, and at the end of it you have to jump to get over it. I would suggest fixing this by raising the bridge a bit or something, I dunno.

And that is all I have to complain about. Now I will stop being a great and get to the good bits.

I quite like some of the 'hidden' tunnels/caves you have, they are a nice touch. The waterfall is pretty good, I think it should have been moved to some place where it could be seen easier though (don't ask me where I just think it's a wee bit hidden). The traitor death bridge and traitor tester in the volcano is - again, a nice touch. The background scenery is also nice, with the appropriate effects to fit (i.e. smoke for the volcanoes, ships, etc.).

Welp, that's about it. Overall a good map with only a few things that get my jimmies in a twist. Now if you will excuse me, I need to leave before you kill me for dissing your map.

* Red the Ho Ho Ho runs away.
oh

Offline Sexy Frog

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 08:31:05 PM »
Hello good sir.

From what I have seen in the video the map is looking good. It's big, colorful, and overall really neat. There are only a few nitpicks that I could find in the video, so here you go:

-The trees look a little too green. I understand that they are supposed to be covered in moss, but from a distance it just looks completely green.

-Some of the rock textures had some blue in it. Nothing really big here, could just be shadowed areas under the rock, w/e.

-Obvious one, the ladder at 3:02 is missing a few textures.

-At 3:56 you are walking across a bridge, and at the end of it you have to jump to get over it. I would suggest fixing this by raising the bridge a bit or something, I dunno.

And that is all I have to complain about. Now I will stop being a great and get to the good bits.

I quite like some of the 'hidden' tunnels/caves you have, they are a nice touch. The waterfall is pretty good, I think it should have been moved to some place where it could be seen easier though (don't ask me where I just think it's a wee bit hidden). The traitor death bridge and traitor tester in the volcano is - again, a nice touch. The background scenery is also nice, with the appropriate effects to fit (i.e. smoke for the volcanoes, ships, etc.).

Welp, that's about it. Overall a good map with only a few things that get my jimmies in a twist. Now if you will excuse me, I need to leave before you kill me for dissing your map.

* Red the Ho Ho Ho runs away.

* Sexy Frog shakes fist angrily in the air as he runs away.

- But on a more serious note, the tree models and rock textures I can't do anything about since I didn't make them. I decompiled an already existing map that had these models and then used them for my own purposes.

- Ladder textures aren't missing, they are just shadowed for some reason. I'll get to that.

- Yeah, that bridge jumping is a bit annoying and I'll try to straighten that up.

I thank you for the other compliments though.

>I'll never forget...

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 10:33:40 PM »
Well. I always like to finish off with good news so I'll give you some CC first.

-The first thing I noticed was the cliff textures. The repeating level of the textures is killing me. Consider increasing the scale of the textures to 1 or finding a larger texture to smack on there.

-The ground also is rather repeating. Consider using a blend texture and go nuts with it making trails and shit.

-A fix for the green trees in my opinion would be add tons of foliage. Hundreds of three models isnt bad. Use fallout distance for a numb er of them if optimization is an issue. Heck. Its a jungle right? Throw ferns, rocks and trees galore in there. Since it's TTT, you'll want it to be hard to navigate. Its not GMS right?

-Maybe another thing for the ground blend and tree issue. Have 2 different blend textures going on. Have a sand/grass texture for the coast and a grass/dirt for the jungle area. Dont be afraid to have lots of displacements.

-The boat is horrible.... Try to find a custom model or something.

-The little house is so out of place.... Make it look more scratchbuilt from materials  and not manufactured.

-The water looked good till you started climbing. Consider using a 3D skybox with the water extending about 2x-3x from the main area.

-The waterfall is a pretty good addition, however the mist at the bottom could use some work. The clouds are too white and too small. It looks more like cotton balls right now.

-The bridges are in the same boat as the house. I assume by the ship in the water and the rafts you're gearing toward the stranded kind of appearance. Make things look more scratch build and less manufactured.

-Get rid of the cloud from the top of the waterfall. Waterfalls dont work like that.

-The plane is a nice touch too, however if the land is developed enough to have ladders, bridges, and homes, would the plane really be smoking? Add more dirt buildup and crap around it. Maybe even some more foliage moving around it.

-The volcanos are really uh, interesting. They seem rather blocky and bland. The lava texture is also too repeating looking. Try to see if you can get an animated lava texture or make a water texture with a bright orange fog level and no reflect.

Sorry if anything here sounds like I'm being a dick. If you got the time, try these out and take your time. They'll result in a truely beautiful map.

Now for the good.

-Skybox and surrounding area (not sure if 3dsky) are very nice. Helps make the area look good.

-Water texture is fitting for the most part, however if this area was tropical, you might want to try a more topical water. I have a texture you can try if you like. The animated bump on the top is better then the valve water IMO anyway.

-Ladder is fitting. Keep it.

-The models you used for the trees and ferns and bushes are great. Multiply and you'll have a badass jungle.

-Good displacement work. Megusta (cept for the volcanoes)

-Caves are a nice touch. Good hiding spots. Maybe add a couple more.

-I like the entire concept of all this and think you should try your best to make it beautiful yet optimized.

Offline tim

• SPACE JAM
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 11:02:03 PM »
honk honk

these are a big nono
#

Offline Sexy Frog

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 11:09:23 PM »
Well. I always like to finish off with good news so I'll give you some CC first.

-The first thing I noticed was the cliff textures. The repeating level of the textures is killing me. Consider increasing the scale of the textures to 1 or finding a larger texture to smack on there.

-The ground also is rather repeating. Consider using a blend texture and go nuts with it making trails and shit.

-A fix for the green trees in my opinion would be add tons of foliage. Hundreds of three models isnt bad. Use fallout distance for a numb er of them if optimization is an issue. Heck. Its a jungle right? Throw ferns, rocks and trees galore in there. Since it's TTT, you'll want it to be hard to navigate. Its not GMS right?

-Maybe another thing for the ground blend and tree issue. Have 2 different blend textures going on. Have a sand/grass texture for the coast and a grass/dirt for the jungle area. Dont be afraid to have lots of displacements.

-The boat is horrible.... Try to find a custom model or something.

-The little house is so out of place.... Make it look more scratchbuilt from materials  and not manufactured.

-The water looked good till you started climbing. Consider using a 3D skybox with the water extending about 2x-3x from the main area.

-The waterfall is a pretty good addition, however the mist at the bottom could use some work. The clouds are too white and too small. It looks more like cotton balls right now.

-The bridges are in the same boat as the house. I assume by the ship in the water and the rafts you're gearing toward the stranded kind of appearance. Make things look more scratch build and less manufactured.

-Get rid of the cloud from the top of the waterfall. Waterfalls dont work like that.

-The plane is a nice touch too, however if the land is developed enough to have ladders, bridges, and homes, would the plane really be smoking? Add more dirt buildup and crap around it. Maybe even some more foliage moving around it.

-The volcanos are really uh, interesting. They seem rather blocky and bland. The lava texture is also too repeating looking. Try to see if you can get an animated lava texture or make a water texture with a bright orange fog level and no reflect.

Sorry if anything here sounds like I'm being a dick. If you got the time, try these out and take your time. They'll result in a truely beautiful map.

Now for the good.

-Skybox and surrounding area (not sure if 3dsky) are very nice. Helps make the area look good.

-Water texture is fitting for the most part, however if this area was tropical, you might want to try a more topical water. I have a texture you can try if you like. The animated bump on the top is better then the valve water IMO anyway.

-Ladder is fitting. Keep it.

-The models you used for the trees and ferns and bushes are great. Multiply and you'll have a badass jungle.

-Good displacement work. Megusta (cept for the volcanoes)

-Caves are a nice touch. Good hiding spots. Maybe add a couple more.

-I like the entire concept of all this and think you should try your best to make it beautiful yet optimized.

Righty time to answer.

- I never really thought of increasing the texture scales, I should probably do that.

- The ground is a blend texture and I WAS going to make trails but the scale of the displacements were really large and made the trail abnormally large as well.

-  I actually like the green trees. They're supposed to be mossy but I guess from a distance they're a bit off. Luckily those models have two skins, mossy and bare bark.

- I didn't really think of having two different blend textures, but wouldn't it like blend weird? The grass is a custom blend texture and so it wouldn't match with the default.

- I hate the boat too. I was looking all over garrysmod.org and gamebanana for a cruise ship model but to no avail. So I improvised.

- How would I make the house look more scratch built? Do tell.

- Yeah, the water textures in the 3D skybox is a tad larger than the maps.

- I thought the mist was pretty decent at the bottom, but y'know it's misty displaced water whatever. I kinda figured it'd be white. I suppose I could give it a touch of blue.

- I know what you mean about the bridge. I was going to have them be separate planks connected by rope but that was too much work so I just did that.

- I'll get rid of the cloud. I saw it on the original map that used those textures but the top of the waterfall was cut off due to that portion of the map being inaccessible.

- My dad said the same thing. But like he said 'if it's so old that it has hanging moss growing on it already, don't you think that the smoking would have stopped?' I kinda didn't really care 'cause it looked nice. I can add more foliage and crap around it.

- Not my best volcano's but I'd have to start them from scratch if I redid them.

Other than that, thanks for the compliments on the map. I want to try and make this as good as I can.

>I'll never forget...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal