Author Topic: Learning Mapping - Planning on using HRP - Might Make Whole New One!  (Read 2510 times)

Offline Machetian

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Just learning how to Map for Garry's Mod now, and I'm planning on making maps for HRP as practice. No, this is not for them wanting to be used, only for practices. I'd like the height you guys use, I'm planning on making this massive. Mainly the total map height via default Hammer grid counts. Also the Sea Level V.S. Total map height (in a fraction, I.E Total Map Height = h Total Sea Level (deepest point) = s (s/h)). Also I'd like some extra features you guys would like. I'm thinking of adding coral reefs that quite litterly glow at night and are visable from the surface, but are nocollided like the Seaweed and all that from Just Cause 2. Video Below
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ3AlBdz4mw" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ3AlBdz4mw</a>

But yeah, I just started so I'll really like some help.

Offline Darkshifter98

• Flipper of Elephants
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Learning Mapping - Planning on using HRP - Might Make Whole New One!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 12:19:18 AM »
Well, if you hadn't learned already, always make sure you have the hammer grid set at incriments of a power (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, ect.), as for the growing reef part, I guess you could make a couple of models (XSI is free and was used to make most HL2 models, otherwise Blender or 3DSmax are a decent choice too) and make some animations for them, setting that they grow during the night along with whatever you'll use to make it night.
\\\"Hold right bumper to flip... wait, what? How did you do that?\\\"

Offline Machetian

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 12:29:57 AM »
Thanks, got another guy helping me figure out the basics.
dem growin reefs mang

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 11:50:10 AM »
You cant really make a map much larger then flatgrass x and y dimensions. You can make it feel like its big like what I did with Ineu, adding twists and turns and ups and downs but thats about it. As for the glowing coral why? Have you seen glowing coral irl? If you insist though, youd have to get the coral custom modeled for you then scripted to glow. If you want it to golw only at night, youll have to add 2 skins, one glowing and 1 not glowing. Then, when night rolls around, get the day/night script to trigger the coral to change to the glow skin.

If this is your first time mapping, you might want to try something a little simpler to get yourself familiar with hammer.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal