Author Topic: City Twenty Four  (Read 19021 times)

Re: City Twenty Four
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2012, 05:36:52 PM »
Nonetheless, still working on the Union tiers of the city. I accidentally a lot of my progress earlier. Got fed up, took a break. I'll likely be working on and off on this map for a while; especially considering that the project itself doesn't have a particular motivation, other than to look nice and play well.

The wonders of not having a deadline.
You accidentally what? Deadline tomorrow, work, work goddamnit.

Offline voidicus

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2012, 07:10:25 PM »
As for what I accidentally, I REALLY had some bad brushwork forming, and I didn't catch it until just recently. It's all rectified, now. Back on the terms of progress:

Working on a sort of courtyard and barracks for units.

tease oh tease swoon~~~

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2012, 07:15:42 PM »
As for what I accidentally, I REALLY had some bad brushwork forming, and I didn't catch it until just recently. It's all rectified, now. Back on the terms of progress:

Working on a sort of courtyard and barracks for units.

tease oh tease swoon~~~
That monument makes think of the C45 monument, it gives me FPS drops. Are you certain this monument won't give us that effect?
And Voidicus, I love what you're doing with 24. It's very dark, and I think the not having a sky and lightning is because of quicker compiling?

(I clicked Notify, that's like, the first time I ever did <3)

Offline voidicus

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2012, 07:39:02 PM »
That monument makes think of the C45 monument, it gives me FPS drops. Are you certain this monument won't give us that effect?
And Voidicus, I love what you're doing with 24. It's very dark, and I think the not having a sky and lightning is because of quicker compiling?

(I clicked Notify, that's like, the first time I ever did <3)

The monument alone on C45 isn't what gives you FPS drops, I'm fairly certain. That just so happens to be an area where a metric shitton of the map is rendering (or tyring to render) at once. The shiny light on the top may not help, either. Maybe.

The black sky is actually entirely intentional, at least for the time being. If I come to terms over it, I might whip up a custom skybox; otherwise it gives a nice, dark, cold atmosphere.

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2012, 07:55:26 PM »
The black sky is actually entirely intentional, at least for the time being. If I come to terms over it, I might whip up a custom skybox; otherwise it gives a nice, dark, cold atmosphere.
A sky itself is never completely dark and black, it's always grayish (at least in cities).

And you should light up some stuff more, example 'the wall'
Click to see the original size.
To show off it's structure you should light it up a bit, if you're not going to, hell it's maybe even better to consider not texturing them.

Is above picture on top of 'the wall' and what is it's function?

Do you have an idea of how you want it to look and where you want buildings to be, or is this going to spoil the teasers?

Offline voidicus

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2012, 08:05:04 PM »
A sky itself is never completely dark and black, it's always grayish (at least in cities).

And you should light up some stuff more, example 'the wall'
To show off it's structure you should light it up a bit, if you're not going to, hell it's maybe even better to consider not texturing them.

Is above picture on top of 'the wall' and what is it's function?

Do you have an idea of how you want it to look and where you want buildings to be, or is this going to spoil the teasers?

Top image is a sweeping view of the entirety of the wall; it's not the main attraction of the map (though it's admittedly there for a reason). I didn't want to detract from the rest of the map for just this one wall, so only the base is visible. Leaving it untextured would be dumb, and leave a lot of context out.

The lower image is from the bottom of the wall looking up, as an example of how large it is. It's one of the supports.

I have a lot of building design concepts already, I just haven't shown any of them.

:~)

no double posting allowed!!!!

WIP of barracks:

« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 05:35:57 PM by void »

Offline Khub

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2012, 06:06:15 AM »
Do not forget to add restrooms in these barracks :) They look good as well.
* Khubajsn requests another teasing screenshot - or even a video of voidicus walking around some of finished parts?

Spoiler for Off topic:
My 123rd post :D

Offline EmperorDisasster

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2012, 08:44:12 AM »
How about for the Nexus elevator, some or all of it could have an open view of the city so units are able to look out onto the city as they travel through different floors of the Nexus.

E.G:
im bach

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2012, 09:40:21 AM »
As stated that would cause a lot of rendering and lag.

The cliff itself will serve fairly well to keep everything from rendering at once - it's not a straight drop, but is moreso angled.

Fog and renderdistances were considerations, too, if things got too wildly out of hand.

There would be a few peak areas performance wise, of course, but in all only a few particular spots would be subject to rendering the entirety of the map.

Offline voidicus

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2012, 04:13:55 PM »
The rendering plays a part in this, of course. Additionally, though, I'd really like to keep things from going straight off the deep end while I'm still very much so capable of making things as simple as they can be. At the least, slightly less frustrating than what Hammer often gives me.

Mechanically, I couldn't see why the Union would do it; it would be a structural flaw in the wall, all things considered. The various Combine structures I've seen have stressed functionality over visuality; save the Citadel, of course, but that is an intentional callback to their control over the planet.

Sorry for the lack of updates as of recently, enjoying the last few days of my Easter break. Expect things to pick up again as the week progresses. Hopefully. Maybe. Who knows???????

N1NJ4 3D1T H3H3H3H3H3:

3VOLUT1ON 1N PROGR3SS:

N1NJ4 3D1T 2.0 H3H3H3H3:

Shoo.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 08:44:25 PM by voidsprite »

Offline ?????¬??

• An Idiot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2012, 09:30:40 AM »
You, sir, redefine sexy.

Offline Monkey with a gun

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2012, 11:15:51 AM »
Looking amazing so far. I know you're generally busy with all the CCA requests, but any idea on what the CWU building is going to look like?

Offline voidicus

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2012, 11:55:15 AM »
Looking amazing so far. I know you're generally busy with all the CCA requests, but any idea on what the CWU building is going to look like?

CWU is going to have a building either directly across from, or right next to where I intend to put 'loyalist' housing. I've been looking at some architecture for the different tiers, and I think that postmodernism will be a larger influence of the loyalist tier. (If you don't know exactly what it is, look it up, there are plenty of examples). I was thinking of shoving the City Administrators in with this lot, and expanding the building; politics don't quite have a place in the upper tier.

The Union/'Nexus' tier is taking on a more minimalist style thus far, as it's been made to specifically stress functionality. While the surface of the upper tier is fairly minimalist and styled in the sense of a foreign military base, the underground aspect has evolved... Well, dramatically.

I won't even tease. :~)

I haven't done much in terms of mapping this week because of a couple of reports being due, so really heavy progress likely won't pick up for another week or two. I'll still poke in here and there with brushwork updates and the like.

Offline Globey

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2012, 01:18:20 PM »
Looks good! :D

Please add parade square for the CCA, as well as some sort of train system. If you do add the train system, it would be pretty cool if the CCA were able to control it, perhaps charging a fare for a ride on it.
C45.CCA.GRID-DvL.604 - Healthy - Executing citizens. Tally: 4
John Gatsby - Healthy - Celebrating, having detonated an explosive melon in front of two CA's

--------------------------
Cutlass, Sail and Cannon:
Ernest Cumberbatch, Port Royal, Governor. Governing.
John Gatsby, of the brigantine Brimstone. Amputating Limbs

Offline voidicus

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2012, 06:44:26 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal