Author Topic: City Twenty Four  (Read 19021 times)

Offline voidicus

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
City Twenty Four
« on: April 01, 2012, 10:06:17 PM »

"In the game of chess, you can never let your opponent see your pieces!"

So, Catalyst:

What would you want to see in a Half-Life 2 Roleplay map? I won't spoil the map design thus far, as I've been playing around with it for quite a while now, with some more private input by Alex and others, but I may as well get the general consensus on what people would want to see from it.

Alongside the map, I'm working on quite a long back-story for the city, which I'll likely end up posting alongside this OP at a later date. For now, though, notes will suffice.

Some things to note as of now (undoubtedly more will be added):
  • City Twenty-Four is built upon the ruins of Geneva
  • The terrain has shifted on a cataclysmic scale
  • Roadways are wide enough to support an APC
  • The city itself is "built" in a vertical tier system
  • The lowest, ground tier will be "outlandish"
  • The second lowest will have an industrial/D6 atmosphere
  • The second highest will be more modern, loyalist
  • The highest tier will be the Nexus/various other Union stuff

When I think I have a decent amount of work done on any particular element, and when things look like they won't be changed around too majorly, I'll chug out some screenshots for your viewing pleasure. Otherwise, right now I need suggestions, comments, complaints, words of encouragement, something cheesy along those lines.

Just be constructive, if you can.

Offline aeiou

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: City Twenty Four
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 10:08:35 PM »
constructive comment

c24 best city 2k12

anyway, if you have suggestions either post them here or contact me or void directly
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 10:12:05 PM by alex :D »

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 11:37:38 PM »
Open maps are hard to optimize. Open city maps are even harder. How do you plan to keep it optimized without breaking the visual component?

Offline voidicus

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 11:44:32 PM »
The cliff itself will serve fairly well to keep everything from rendering at once - it's not a straight drop, but is moreso angled.

Fog and renderdistances were considerations, too, if things got too wildly out of hand.

There would be a few peak areas performance wise, of course, but in all only a few particular spots would be subject to rendering the entirety of the map.

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 01:05:02 AM »
CCA outposts/checkpoints in each level would be nice, as well with some sort of system for quick access to each of them. Maybe some sort of CCA outpost on each level with an elevator that drops to the level below/above.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 09:45:03 AM »
I think the best thing you could do is for the fact your map uses blocks rather then displacements, use areaportals to seal the inside of buildings and any part thats dark you dont need to see inside at a distance (like a tunnel)

For detail blocks such as pillars or stairs, use func_lod to make them fade. Also a model renderdistance would be a grand idea. Just some tips for you.

Offline FPSRussia

• AUTISTIC FAGGOT WHORE
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 11:32:51 AM »
Possible things to add:

I would really like it if you made a Combine Garage to store vehicles that also right next door is the GRID mech room. I think if GRID had a garage that opened up to a compound, then we would be set.

Something like this.
hello my name is Ryan Fournier. I am known on the internet as autism, and I like to pretend I am a little boy named Jamie Laou, a Justin Bieber look alike. I am not 18, so don't listen to me when I say I am. I'm roughly 13 years old.

Offline |T??G| Saimon-avatar

• OMG! Where have my 250 credits gone!?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 02:18:04 PM »
Hello void, you were asking for suggestion and ideas, I've been working on a roleplay map that I might never finish, so I wanted to give you some ideas I drew about some buildings. (I also draw a nexus, if you want to see it reply to this or send me a Pm)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/827/foto0206l.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/708/foto0207h.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/foto0208h.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/foto0209d.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/337/foto0210c.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/foto0211z.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/10/foto0221oa.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/foto0222pw.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/37/foto0223o.jpg/

Hope you can do something with this.
(For some reason the pictures do not load, so I will just leave the links.)
Ivan Gomez - Dead\\r\\nDaeny Morrison - Dead A great Heroin\\r\\nOscar Gomez- Alive \\r\\nJacques \\\'Fench\\\' Laux - Alive, just escaped from the Outlands\\r\\n\\r\\nDaeny Morrison: Treat people as you would like to be treated. Never hurt the innocents.

Offline psycho

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Full Economy [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 10:48:11 PM »

"In the game of chess, you can never let your opponent see your pieces!"[/center]

have u even played chess??? lol.
game over

Offline voidicus

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 11:03:34 PM »
you've clearly never watched futurama

Working on the 'Nexus' at the moment, if anyone has anything dire pertaining to that, speak now or forever hold your peats.

Offline shrimp

• The ONLY Ninja
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 11:23:50 PM »
you've clearly never watched futurama

Working on the 'Nexus' at the moment, if anyone has anything dire pertaining to that, speak now or forever hold your peats.
Try to keep rooms separate, IE the shooting range combined with the armory in C45. And balconies are always nice :)
A real human beeeeeiiinnnggg.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 08:54:54 AM »
Dont forget the key nexus parts:
-med bay
-mech bay
-training center
-meeting room
-high command area
-nexus control room
-armoury
-CA office
-detainment
-lobby

Offline Khub

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 11:43:26 AM »
- GRID
== Development room aka MoC
== Testing room
== Storage room
== Power generator room? Maybe these seen in HL2, these columns with energy balls floating up and down. Maybe with keypad-protected door..

- Working incinerator and or furnace
- Heliport for roflcopters
- Gas chambers / some other kind of amputation things. With containment fields.

- Evil button that turns Nexus / city lights off.
Actually this may sound like stupid kid idea. However, I remember an exogen breach in C45 with power blackout. If the lights went really off, it would greatly support immersion and would totally change the overall feel of the game.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 11:55:48 AM by Khubajsn »

Offline kmp

• 4chan is my friend
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 12:28:46 PM »
You want special stuff for GRID only? I will only be pleased if the rest of the divisions get special "only for them" stuff as well.
C18.MPF.RAZOR-OfC.448

Offline aeiou

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 01:01:20 PM »
- Evil button that turns Nexus / city lights off.
Actually this may sound like stupid kid idea. However, I remember an exogen breach in C45 with power blackout. If the lights went really off, it would greatly support immersion and would totally change the overall feel of the game.

Would not give that to GRID. Even though that seems logical, I don't even want GRID anywhere near that button.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal