Poll

Do you think the Combine Civil Authority should be majorly changed?

Combine Nation-Like CCA.
37 (68.5%)
Keep it as it is (TnB's basis)
17 (31.5%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Changing the Combine Civil Authority  (Read 15963 times)

Offline ??. McBullet

• The African Oldfag
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Changing the Combine Civil Authority
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2012, 02:43:09 PM »
After reading through the opposition's reasoning, I recant my suggested rank structure and detach myself from a "Combine Nation Reform." SatN shot the idea in the foot when he called it "Combine Nation," because what he intended to be a more human system is now being conceived as an idiotic gaggle of units roaming about with buckets on their heads. If I could physically do it, I'd change my answer to no. The execution of this poll should've been delayed until there was actually a clear picture of what the reform should've been.

I've taken my non-rank related suggestions over to a new thread for some public opinion.

Offline Airborne1st

• I'm White
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2012, 02:56:26 PM »
I simply can't support this for the reasons KmP, raged, and Sheo posted. HL2RP isn't about your name or unit designation, its about your roleplay as a person behind the computer screen. BB, I respect you highly, but if this change has mostly to do with changing the unit names, then why even bother? We just did that in fact. If changing the names is the biggest change this will bring about, then why don't we just change the division names again?

I also don't like the fact that the specialization divisions will be sitting in the Nexus typing on a console all day. This sort of change would involve everyone but JURY to sit in the Nexus unless a drink machine desperately needed fixing, where VICE could finally get some action, or if someone gets in a firefight and gets shot (Which happens once every 6 months on average) and SHIELD could get some action. That's like taking away from the RP and RP potential of those in the specialization division. Also, making recruitment more selective? That sounds good, but its hard enough to get units in SHIELD as it is. The last thing I'd support right now is making it even harder to get units in our division. We haven't had a unit join SHIELD since it was NOVA, and even still, awhile back. I think our lowest ranking member is an 02, because everyone else was wiped in the reform, or demoted to recruit and is now stuck in JURY, where they'll likely stay.

I also don't support making the CCA into something more human. We're human, and everyone understands that. We're not a police force like you see in your neighborhood though. We're a paramilitary organization that maintains order. Switching to this new organization that acts more human, would basically be turning HL2RP into OCRP, where the police officers are your friendly neighborhood Spiderman watching your back and doing favors for you. That's nothing like HL2 and is nowhere near correct according to canon. The digits mask our identity, and give a feel that you now belong to the Combine/Universal Union. Switching to this new system would make it seem like we have no connection the Universal Union, and are just a bunch of humans who put on uniforms for the lulz, and are trying to enforce our own laws that we made up.

As raged already said, we're not copying TnB, we're copying HL2, and so are they. I personally like the digits system and having the divisions the way they are now. Some of you say, "Oh its just a game, whats the worst that could happen." Yes, that's true, it is a game. For some of us, many of us even, its game that's a part of our lifestyle. Sure we all have lives (I hope), but some of us get really involved in HL2RP and take things seriously, hence this discussion. Truly devoted players don't want to take a chance and ruin what they enjoy or change it at all.

As I've already mentioned above, you can implement any system you want. You can make the CCA act like straight up citizens with guns if you want. You could even beef it up to be a true military, not police or paramilitary, but full on military government. The same things are going to happen. People are going to screw around because they want to. Because most people in this community are between the ages of 11-15, many of them don't have the maturity level to know and understand that they don't need to CS:S surf on the glass windows of the break room in the Nexus. Changing the CCA structure won't fix this. Nothing will fix this actually, unless you only allow people in the organization that you know on a personal level and understand that they're mature enough to handle being in the organization.

So I go back to my earlier statement, if the only thing we're really changing are the names and roles of the divisions and units, then why even bother going through this change at all? We just did a reform and changed the names of each division. Instead of trying to do ANOTHER change, which will piss many people off, why don't we try to get the change we just made situated and make IT work?

On a side note, why does everyone want to stand out so bad all the time? Sure, standing out sometimes is good, but when the most commonly followed method is actually the best, why stray from that method just to stand out and be different? What's it worth being different if the method you use is shitty and doesn't work and doesn't make the members happy?

I apologize for any grammatical errors. I typed this quickly, and didn't proof read it before posting. 

Offline FPSRussia

• AUTISTIC FAGGOT WHORE
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2012, 02:58:44 PM »
Nick, please for the love of god change the way your DvL acts. In all my years of working with the MPF/CCA on community's, you are the second I have met to have a DvL that acts like a 5 year old. You do not go around petting vortiguants or doing cocaine. I have quite frankly seen enough of the shit. People literally now ICly discuss about you and the cocaine shot. DvLs are highly augmented and transformed to the point were they have no opinions on anything nor do they have feelings... They just do it. I really suggest you do not go around and do the stupid shit.
hello my name is Ryan Fournier. I am known on the internet as autism, and I like to pretend I am a little boy named Jamie Laou, a Justin Bieber look alike. I am not 18, so don't listen to me when I say I am. I'm roughly 13 years old.

Offline ?AG-CL? Sheo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2012, 03:03:41 PM »
were they have no opinions on anything nor do they have feelings... They just do it. I really suggest you do not go around and do the stupid shit.

I agree I shriveled in disgust when he called another unit "bro", but ALL UNITS, ESPECIALLY DvL's would have their ability to think intact. How the hell do you lead a whole division without having an opinion on anything?

Offline FPSRussia

• AUTISTIC FAGGOT WHORE
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2012, 03:13:38 PM »
Spoiler for Hiden:
I simply can't support this for the reasons KmP, raged, and Sheo posted. HL2RP isn't about your name or unit designation, its about your roleplay as a person behind the computer screen. BB, I respect you highly, but if this change has mostly to do with changing the unit names, then why even bother? We just did that in fact. If changing the names is the biggest change this will bring about, then why don't we just change the division names again?

I also don't like the fact that the specialization divisions will be sitting in the Nexus typing on a console all day. This sort of change would involve everyone but JURY to sit in the Nexus unless a drink machine desperately needed fixing, where VICE could finally get some action, or if someone gets in a firefight and gets shot (Which happens once every 6 months on average) and SHIELD could get some action. That's like taking away from the RP and RP potential of those in the specialization division. Also, making recruitment more selective? That sounds good, but its hard enough to get units in SHIELD as it is. The last thing I'd support right now is making it even harder to get units in our division. We haven't had a unit join SHIELD since it was NOVA, and even still, awhile back. I think our lowest ranking member is an 02, because everyone else was wiped in the reform, or demoted to recruit and is now stuck in JURY, where they'll likely stay.

I also don't support making the CCA into something more human. We're human, and everyone understands that. We're not a police force like you see in your neighborhood though. We're a paramilitary organization that maintains order. Switching to this new organization that acts more human, would basically be turning HL2RP into OCRP, where the police officers are your friendly neighborhood Spiderman watching your back and doing favors for you. That's nothing like HL2 and is nowhere near correct according to canon. The digits mask our identity, and give a feel that you now belong to the Combine/Universal Union. Switching to this new system would make it seem like we have no connection the Universal Union, and are just a bunch of humans who put on uniforms for the lulz, and are trying to enforce our own laws that we made up.

As raged already said, we're not copying TnB, we're copying HL2, and so are they. I personally like the digits system and having the divisions the way they are now. Some of you say, "Oh its just a game, whats the worst that could happen." Yes, that's true, it is a game. For some of us, many of us even, its game that's a part of our lifestyle. Sure we all have lives (I hope), but some of us get really involved in HL2RP and take things seriously, hence this discussion. Truly devoted players don't want to take a chance and ruin what they enjoy or change it at all.

As I've already mentioned above, you can implement any system you want. You can make the CCA act like straight up citizens with guns if you want. You could even beef it up to be a true military, not police or paramilitary, but full on military government. The same things are going to happen. People are going to screw around because they want to. Because most people in this community are between the ages of 11-15, many of them don't have the maturity level to know and understand that they don't need to CS:S surf on the glass windows of the break room in the Nexus. Changing the CCA structure won't fix this. Nothing will fix this actually, unless you only allow people in the organization that you know on a personal level and understand that they're mature enough to handle being in the organization.

So I go back to my earlier statement, if the only thing we're really changing are the names and roles of the divisions and units, then why even bother going through this change at all? We just did a reform and changed the names of each division. Instead of trying to do ANOTHER change, which will piss many people off, why don't we try to get the change we just made situated and make IT work?

On a side note, why does everyone want to stand out so bad all the time? Sure, standing out sometimes is good, but when the most commonly followed method is actually the best, why stray from that method just to stand out and be different? What's it worth being different if the method you use is shitty and doesn't work and doesn't make the members happy?

I apologize for any grammatical errors. I typed this quickly, and didn't proof read it before posting.

Love the post man, very detailed. I have to say as I said earlier "People will always complain on every community."
Someone says something and others contribute, when in reality it is fine.

Also Sheo, transhuman figures never have an opinion on anything. They go with what is best for the division and do not discuss it.

Ex: JURY-03.000: Sir! There is a bomb in the UCH!
VICE-DvL.738: Unit, relocate to a defined distance at this time.
VICE-DvL.738 radios in: VICE units, relocate to UCH frontal entry point.

The reason why we do not have feelings or opinions is because if we did, then controlling a situation ICly would be a mess. As you see, the 03 is a bit frightend by the bombs presence, as a OfC plus, it would be our job to act without opinion to solve the situation.
hello my name is Ryan Fournier. I am known on the internet as autism, and I like to pretend I am a little boy named Jamie Laou, a Justin Bieber look alike. I am not 18, so don't listen to me when I say I am. I'm roughly 13 years old.

Offline ?AG-CL? Sheo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2012, 03:19:54 PM »
Opinion:Noun:Def: A view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter..

Just because he's emotionless and calculating about it doesn't mean his decision isn't based off of an opinion - it is. But it's an opinion that's detached from empathy and is just based on cold hard numbers. Meaning his opinion is that if he can sacrifice 1 civilian here, to save 5 units there, he'd do it without hesitation.

Offline FPSRussia

• AUTISTIC FAGGOT WHORE
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2012, 03:25:19 PM »
Opinion:Noun:Def: A view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter..

Just because he's emotionless and calculating about it doesn't mean his decision isn't based off of an opinion - it is. But it's an opinion that's detached from empathy and is just based on cold hard numbers. Meaning his opinion is that if he can sacrifice 1 civilian here, to save 5 units there, he'd do it without hesitation.

You apparently do not understand what I mean by this or my word choice is not getting to you. The opinion I mean is not having one on a direct cause, meaning ICly OUR units know what to
do in any situation as they are trained for it. There is not need to have opinions when ICly we know what to do. I do not mean opinions as to feelings or whatnot.

Offline Orange - Cisco Certified

• aSK mE aBOUT mY pENIS
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2012, 03:36:54 PM »
Way to stray from the topic.

But yeah, basically what Airborn said.

Offline FPSRussia

• AUTISTIC FAGGOT WHORE
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2012, 08:21:30 PM »
Way to stray from the topic.

But yeah, basically what Airborn said.

Sorry to get off topic there. I just wanted to clear some things up with some of our Divisional Leadership which lead to the discussion of the actions a DvL should do.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2012, 09:23:38 PM »
Shit hit the fan.

I think the names replacing the numbers halps make the CCA more interesting. I dunno. I find Sergeant to be more interesting then 01 to read. Also, there IS a tread that tells you that as an 01 you should be all srs n shit. Im tired of being serious. If I want 261 to be more of an oddball, why cant I?

Offline Nick?3

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2012, 09:33:57 PM »
Nick, please for the love of god change the way your DvL acts. In all my years of working with the MPF/CCA on community's, you are the second I have met to have a DvL that acts like a 5 year old. You do not go around petting vortiguants or doing cocaine. I have quite frankly seen enough of the shit. People literally now ICly discuss about you and the cocaine shot. DvLs are highly augmented and transformed to the point were they have no opinions on anything nor do they have feelings... They just do it. I really suggest you do not go around and do the stupid shit.

Now you're playing with fire, Purple. Take a step back, and leave my unit out of it publically. If you want to criticise, my Steam's always there. He didn't do a cocaine shot, that's extremely retarded. No... that situation is completely misunderstood. Alright, I called a guy 'bro'... sue me? Sue. Me. I've about had enough dealing with everyone, and he's not some fluffy Vortigaunt petter. He gave it a pat on the back. And he's not brainwashed.

Really... just don't go there. Please. I've done nothing wrong to warrant.

Semper Fi~

BOS: Marines, United States.
Name: Nick Lucci.
POST-ID: 298-31-0615.
Current Position/Rank: First-Lieutenant, Senior Airman and Aviation Officer, O-2/A.
M.O.S.: 7500's; Aviation and C.A.S. support. MV-22 A.S. "Osprey."
S.R.: Roughly three years; second T.O.D.
A.O.S.: Badghis, Afghanistan; Montri; Kuwait (Not D-P Yet)
Unit: VMM-264, 2nd MAW A.S. Division-C, Company F "Black Knights."
^

Offline Orange - Cisco Certified

• aSK mE aBOUT mY pENIS
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2012, 09:42:01 PM »
Shit hit the fan.

I think the names replacing the numbers halps make the CCA more interesting. I dunno. I find Sergeant to be more interesting then 01 to read. Also, there IS a tread that tells you that as an 01 you should be all srs n shit. Im tired of being serious. If I want 261 to be more of an oddball, why cant I?

So you're supporting this because "Sergeant is more interesting to read than 01".

Out of all the silly reasons onto why this should be supported, yours takes the cake.

(Also, you wouldn't even be reading Sergeant, I'd prob be Sgt.)

Offline kmp

• 4chan is my friend
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2012, 09:47:10 PM »
I RPed my character as borderline inane and look where I got? I reached Commander. As long as you do your role well, you can RP any kind of character you wish.

Actually, why don't we go more indepth of what I have done and still come out fine, Purple.

-I've learned the names of 3 conscripts and struck up a conversation with them, even a friendship.
-I've donated around about 10k of tokens to the CWU, as well as 30+ ration shipments.
-In my entire time at CG, I have only killed 5 Units. I mostly just warned them.
-I helped nurse a Citizen I beat back to health.
-I made friendships between multiple Units, and most of them ended up either leading a division, reaching Commander or getting into High Command.
-I cried in-front of a handful of Citizens. Yes, cried.
-I would sit down in detainment and strike up conversations between detainee's.

As you can see, a Commander of our such esteemed "Trans-human leadership" was nice behind his normal exterior. So, Nick, if you wish to play as a nice DvL, some of the greatest DvLs I've known have done the same and lead their division to being one of the best I have ever seen.

Anyways, back on topic from this point forward.

The Universal Union is being run by mindless aliens that would most likely use digits and numbers to run their forces on Earth. It would be much easier to just have digits to sort out the current Units they have, instead of a massive list of "Sergeant blah"
C18.MPF.RAZOR-OfC.448

Offline Nick?3

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2012, 09:52:55 PM »
You rose me up, boyo'... Time to 'Fuck you, I do what I want' to everyone who opposes this. Thanks. Cough... am I a good Divisional? *Battered Eyes.*

Semper Fi~

BOS: Marines, United States.
Name: Nick Lucci.
POST-ID: 298-31-0615.
Current Position/Rank: First-Lieutenant, Senior Airman and Aviation Officer, O-2/A.
M.O.S.: 7500's; Aviation and C.A.S. support. MV-22 A.S. "Osprey."
S.R.: Roughly three years; second T.O.D.
A.O.S.: Badghis, Afghanistan; Montri; Kuwait (Not D-P Yet)
Unit: VMM-264, 2nd MAW A.S. Division-C, Company F "Black Knights."
^

Offline alaskan thunderfuck

• Owner
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2012, 10:06:27 PM »
Not going to let this happen on second thought. The stuff we'd have to change in the script is way too much and no one is really going to be willing to do it for a change that won't affect roleplay whatsoever anyway.
Please don't PM me regarding bans or anything having to do with in-game situations. Only PM me if you've been told I am the only one who can solve your issue.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal