Author Topic: Wipe and put restrictions on profile pics  (Read 10092 times)

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Wipe and put restrictions on profile pics
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 07:58:48 PM »
Stop talking like you're web developers, k.

The pictures don't do shit to load times. They're cached, they take less than 200ms to load unless you've never seen it before.

The problem is that we have forum software loaded with bloat that gets executed on every page load, like I said before, the time spent is not downloading it's waiting for the webserver to return the result, ergo not the pictures.

im aware that caching exists, but massive gif avatars are still dumb, they make scrolling down the main page a tiring job

the page still loads slowly, not matter what's causing it, having to wait 6-7 seconds for the main page to load is bad

Offline Hardcore

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 08:02:47 PM »

The pictures don't do shit to load times. They're cached, they take less than 200ms to load unless you've never seen it before.

The problem is that we have forum software loaded with bloat that gets executed on every page load, like I said before, the time spent is not downloading it's waiting for the webserver to return the result, ergo not the pictures.

I'm from EU and I got no high load times.

Offline hogs

• [LOOC] Shane West: cash first.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 02:20:06 AM »
3. (Alternative with number 2) Remove the ability to use image urls as profile pics, keep the dimension restriction and add a file size restriction to images to further reduce lag.

please explain how this changes lag in the slightest

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 03:40:48 AM »
im aware that caching exists, but massive gif avatars are still dumb, they make scrolling down the main page a tiring job

Then this is an entirely different argument and unrelated to this thread.

the page still loads slowly, not matter what's causing it, having to wait 6-7 seconds for the main page to load is bad

Well I'll just call my buddy up at SMF and tell him we need to the it faster. Update will be done in 3-4 hours.

Offline tics

• The Artist Formerly Known as Ricky
  • Developer
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 04:04:14 AM »

Then was there really a point at all in removing forum signatures?
Live free or die

Offline alaskan thunderfuck

• Owner
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Wipe and put restrictions on profile pics
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 06:14:59 AM »

They're annoying as shit anyway
Please don't PM me regarding bans or anything having to do with in-game situations. Only PM me if you've been told I am the only one who can solve your issue.

Offline hogs

• [LOOC] Shane West: cash first.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 08:56:18 AM »

They're annoying as shit anyway

yes they mostly consist of this

my xcharactersjohnny fetus -- alive in the outlands fIGHTING FOR SURVIVAL
jill 'xX_slay3r_Xx' hounddog -- killing cp no0bz

MAI FUNNY QUOATES

Offline tim

• SPACE JAM
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 01:52:07 PM »
snip

except none of them are like that lol
#

Offline kronik

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Lottery Winner [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 04:55:21 PM »
Well it's pretty clear that the initial suggestion isn't going to happen. Maybe someday in the future signatures will be re-enabled, but for now it looks like they're going to stay disabled.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal