Author Topic: We need a new Serious RP server!  (Read 21459 times)

The Mysterious Stranger

Re: We need a new Serious RP server!
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2012, 05:49:53 PM »
 Hey lads, hear of Terminator roleplay? (epic canadian "lads" right there eh?)

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2012, 05:55:03 PM »
Yeah there's a big discussion on the past couple pages about it lol. I would like to try it out in a survival RP style.

Offline Sexy Frog

• "Fire alone can save our clan..."
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2012, 08:54:05 PM »

And as stated in the earlier discussion by me, it's the exact same thing as Half Life 2 RP except with with different characters. Exact same concept, exact same struggle, exact same kind of RP.

>No matter what happens, no matter how old I get.
>I'll never forget...
>Fats Mcgee. And his Retard Three.

Offline Elions

• Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2012, 09:30:18 PM »
Guys. Guys guys guys. I just had. An idea :V

Deus Ex RP.

Offline Lone Wanderer <??"?

• The one and only.
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2012, 09:31:53 PM »
Terminator RP, that seems like a great ide-No. How about we do something original, something someone else doesn't have. I don't really keep up on what TnB does now, but I'm gathering from this thread that their TRP is dead or rarely populated. Still, why do it? Like Frog said, it really doesn't stray to far from the HL2RP storyline in it's themes.

*HL2RP Antagonists: Almost Robotic Army of Supersoldiers/alien synths slowly killing off humanity.
TRP Antagonists: Actual Robotic army killing off humanity.

*HL2RP Protagonists: Resistance members trying to overthrow the Union.
TRP Protagonists: Humans trying to figure out how to destory the robots.

*HL2RP Average-Joe: The poor citizen, living a terrible life in a run down hole, where death follows them everywhere.
TRP Average-Joe: The poor refugee, living a terrible life in a run down hole, where death follows them everywhere.

*HL2RP Setting: Crippled version of Earth, with no real human government, economy or society.
TRP Setting: Crippled version of Earth, with no real human government, economy or society.

See where I'm going with this? You could argue there are some variances, and you'd be right, there are. The storylines aren't exactly the same, and both offer different roleplaying options and characters to develop. But the underlying themes are similar. Looking at what CG currently has to offer, there's a City-Life RP server (OCRP), a Post-apocalyptic society server (HL2RP;City), a post-apocalyptic survival server (HL2RP;Outlands), and a Seafarring roleplay server (HRP). Now, what's something that's different, something that adds a new type of roleplay to CG? Well, here's a few types, most of them already suggested, of what could be implemented that does so:

-Epidemic RP: While I personally love this suggestion a lot, and would enjoy it even more so, it doesn't really stray to far from that idea of a post-apocalyptic roleplay. Sure, the roleplay you'd participate in would be different from that of HL2RP, but the theme behind it wouldn't. Characters would develop with the same problems and struggles of those who faced the rule and suffering delivered from the Union's hand. The main difference would be that instead of fleeing from Overwatch and beating back hordes of antlions, you're running from the local crazed lunatics and opening fire upon hordes of infected humans. I'm not saying this idea is bad at all, in fact, I think it'd be an okay server to add. It does differ enough from HL2RP to have success, and I believe I'm safe in saying that a serious ZombieRP server would attract more players than a TerminatorRP server (pleasedonthurtmeTRPloversokaythankyou).

-SpaceRP: Now, this one I think could go a lot of different ways. SpaceRP can be interpreted differently, depending on the enviornment, planet, conditions, other lifeforms, stage in space exploration, etc. A server of this nature would give a lot of room for development. You could choose to have the time period as such that humanity has highly advanced technology, featuring advanced stellar warships, futuristic technology, and the like. Or, you could have them as some of the first space pioneers, potentially 50 years into the future. Likewise to this diversity, the settlers could have built on a rocky, barren planet, with no other life forms whatsoever, Or, they could be faced with the same struggles as Columbus and his men within the depths of a jungle planet, fighting off the native alien populace. I'm not going to go to much more in depth, but you can imagine how far you could go with a Sci-Fi roleplay server, one where humanity's full creativity and resources aren't limited by powers such as the Union (IE: HL2RP).

-FantasyRP:  Deep down, everyone loves their fantasy. Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, you know you like it. All the magic, crossing of blades in epic battles, and the beautiful elves all around, you can't get enough of it. But think about it, have you ever really thought about putting yourself in those shoes? Taking on the role of your own, individual character in the conflicted fantasy world? A magic wielding man, holding great power and conjuring the greatest of potions, or a great knight, combating the strongest of monsters in the depths of the local swamp. There's quite a bit you can do, and it does bring out the imagination of people, allowing them to present more ideas to the community for development of the server's story and progression. And quite honestly, fantasy is a pretty fun subject to be dealing with (at least from my point of view). Even if the fantasy side of things doesn't appeal to you, you can still use the medival aspect of it to create an amazing RP enviornment. I've yet to see a MedivalRP server out there, but I do think it'd be a great thing to partake in, regardless if there is magic or not.

-ArmyRP: I gotta say, people love their militaryRP here. CCA, OTA, making groups with military ranks and the like. I'm not one to judge in anyway, I find it enjoyable myself. There's no doub that there's a playerbase out there for it, I just think it might be a bit difficult to attract them. You've got people trying out other GMOD servers with it, you've got people doing DoD:S Realism, and other things as well. I think it'd also get old after awhile, once you've completed all the drills, trainings, done some missions, etc. Not as much room to grow as some other options. But I'm sure someone out there could prove me wrong in that aspect.

I'm sure there's plenty more roleplaying options out there, and I'm sure some of you could argue against some points I made in my post. Those are just some ideas and my brief opinions and some of the suggestions made, and why they're good or why they aren't. Ultimately, it's up to the owners (at least I think 8)) who make the choices regarding this, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Rofl said they had something coming eventually (/me crosses fingers and hopes he wasn't retarded). I just hope this helps to get some people's minds rolling and the like.

Current Characters:
Abdul Sadek - Unregistered citizen, currently near City 18.
Monica Halleway - A seemingly crazy woman roaming the plaza.

Former HL2RP-Characters:
Jennifer Hanson - Former trader now involved with the Lambda Movement in City 17.
'091' - A former rogue medical unit now on the Combine Homeworld. Or is she?
Michael 'Y' Eloriga - A wanted criminal located in City 17, frequently spotted on rooftops.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2012, 09:33:32 PM »

And as stated in the earlier discussion by me, it's the exact same thing as Half Life 2 RP except with with different characters. Exact same concept, exact same struggle, exact same kind of RP.

Not necessairly. In HL2 humans were forced into slavery, oppression, and brainwashing. In Terminator humans were just plain salughtered or captured, never to be seen again. This can make for a different RP atmosphere. In HL2RP Outlands, the environment is similar to the way it was before the war, just less humans and a lot of destroyed towns. AFAIK, no large animals either. In TRP, its a barren wasteland.

Another MAJOR aspect is the land itself. In HL2, the cities are inhabited and run by the combine. All the technology, parts, food, supplies, etc in the city have either been seized or reused. In Terminator, a lot of this stuff is still available to scavenge. That means vehicles, food, radios, etc are a LOT easier to find.

Something else in TRP that makes it better the HL2RP Outlands is the groups. In HL2RP Outlands, most of the resistance groups are fighting for a single goal, to overthrow the combine and restore order. In TRP, more groups would be focused on survival and hiding from T's and HK's. Some might provide mechanical support while others scavenge food. Some might specialize in defense and reconnaissance. Maybe theres some who provide medical aid and services. Yes a lot of these can be done in outlands, however the IC mindset in outlands is "overthrow the combine" where the IC mindset in TRP is "run for your fucking lives!"

So what does this all mean? There's a LOT more potential in TRP then HL2RP Outlands. Backstories are also a lot more diverse then "I was living a normal day, I got rounded up. I lived in the city. I escaped the city." Instead, they can be anywhere from "We traveled from a mexican farm town" or "We were visiting the northern mountains." or "We hid in a nuclear shelter my crazy grandfather built."

Basically, I think TRP would be more successful then HL2RP Outlands.

Terminator RP, that seems like a great ide-No. How about we do something original, something someone else doesn't have.

Yes I read your whole post. But it's missing the point I'm trying to get across. HL2RP Outlands is great. Theres good RP, good conflicts, good everything. The only problem I myself see is the story is getting boring and repetative. Keep the style of RP, keep the mechanics, change the story to let people try on a new shirt if you know what I mean.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:41:36 PM by Statua [CMD] »

Offline Elions

• Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2012, 09:48:19 PM »
The only problem I myself see is the story is getting boring and repetative. Keep the style of RP, keep the mechanics, change the story to let people try on a new shirt if you know what I mean.

I'm sorry but... How is changing "overthrow the combine" to "Defeat the evil machines" fixing anything? At best you're eliminating the idea that there's organized cities where both the combine and humans coexist in a way.

As much as i like the terminator franchise, this doesn't really change much except the bad guy and how common some stuff is, other than that, it's the same "Run from bad guy, plan to destroy him/her/it somehow".

Offline Sexy Frog

• "Fire alone can save our clan..."
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2012, 11:37:19 PM »
-Epidemic RP: While I personally love this suggestion a lot, and would enjoy it even more so, it doesn't really stray to far from that idea of a post-apocalyptic roleplay. Sure, the roleplay you'd participate in would be different from that of HL2RP, but the theme behind it wouldn't. Characters would develop with the same problems and struggles of those who faced the rule and suffering delivered from the Union's hand. The main difference would be that instead of fleeing from Overwatch and beating back hordes of antlions, you're running from the local crazed lunatics and opening fire upon hordes of infected humans. I'm not saying this idea is bad at all, in fact, I think it'd be an okay server to add. It does differ enough from HL2RP to have success, and I believe I'm safe in saying that a serious ZombieRP server would attract more players than a TerminatorRP server (pleasedonthurtmeTRPloversokaythankyou).

-SpaceRP: Now, this one I think could go a lot of different ways. SpaceRP can be interpreted differently, depending on the enviornment, planet, conditions, other lifeforms, stage in space exploration, etc. A server of this nature would give a lot of room for development. You could choose to have the time period as such that humanity has highly advanced technology, featuring advanced stellar warships, futuristic technology, and the like. Or, you could have them as some of the first space pioneers, potentially 50 years into the future. Likewise to this diversity, the settlers could have built on a rocky, barren planet, with no other life forms whatsoever, Or, they could be faced with the same struggles as Columbus and his men within the depths of a jungle planet, fighting off the native alien populace. I'm not going to go to much more in depth, but you can imagine how far you could go with a Sci-Fi roleplay server, one where humanity's full creativity and resources aren't limited by powers such as the Union (IE: HL2RP).

-FantasyRP:  Deep down, everyone loves their fantasy. Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, you know you like it. All the magic, crossing of blades in epic battles, and the beautiful elves all around, you can't get enough of it. But think about it, have you ever really thought about putting yourself in those shoes? Taking on the role of your own, individual character in the conflicted fantasy world? A magic wielding man, holding great power and conjuring the greatest of potions, or a great knight, combating the strongest of monsters in the depths of the local swamp. There's quite a bit you can do, and it does bring out the imagination of people, allowing them to present more ideas to the community for development of the server's story and progression. And quite honestly, fantasy is a pretty fun subject to be dealing with (at least from my point of view). Even if the fantasy side of things doesn't appeal to you, you can still use the medival aspect of it to create an amazing RP enviornment. I've yet to see a MedivalRP server out there, but I do think it'd be a great thing to partake in, regardless if there is magic or not.

-ArmyRP: I gotta say, people love their militaryRP here. CCA, OTA, making groups with military ranks and the like. I'm not one to judge in anyway, I find it enjoyable myself. There's no doub that there's a playerbase out there for it, I just think it might be a bit difficult to attract them. You've got people trying out other GMOD servers with it, you've got people doing DoD:S Realism, and other things as well. I think it'd also get old after awhile, once you've completed all the drills, trainings, done some missions, etc. Not as much room to grow as some other options. But I'm sure someone out there could prove me wrong in that aspect.

I see what you mean with these and without trying to be too biased I will give my analysis starting from the bottom up.

-ArmyRP: Seen it, seen it, seen it. I won't deny that ArmyRP has it's perks but overall the roleplay to too dependent on other people. In Army rp you are automatically indoctrinated into the armed forced as default as a recruit or whatever which reminds me eerily of Star Ship Troopers RP. And as I recall correctly, someone even mentioned it. It's dependent on other people and you are basically being ordered around by fuck-tards. I've tried Armyrp on Dark Fraction and it wasn't the best experience in the world. Not to say that that experience with that one community will consume my entire opinion of the game mode over all as I'm sure the quality varies, but I don't find it all that appealing.

-FantasyRP: To be honest, I like the sound of it but the way it's portrayed seems way too broad. Fantasy has such a vast spectrum of things that packing all that in with everything would just clash together, would it not? I mean, if we say fantasy, I can have Doctor Who,  Lord of the Rings, Teletubbies and World of Warcraft all in the same server and it'd just wind up being a cluster fuck of ideas. People definition of 'fantasy' various from person to person. But if fantasy RP is strictly medieval it's still confusing but more plausible I suppose. But stripping all that aside, the custom content needed for this would be beyond human conception! Not to mention that actual developing of the stuff needed would be insane. Moving on...

-SpaceRP: Now here is a really interesting one. I love the concept of space travel as much as the next guy, however it falls along the lines of FantasyRP. The custom content and downloads would be pretty hefty at best and if you are actually talking about constructing space ships, it's basically be like spacebuild but with RP capabilities. The good thing about SpaceRP in theory is that it can allow a broad spectrum of crap and factions and it would all still make sense. You can have 31284139041809 different races with different abilities and still have it believable and playable. In a sense, I'd like to compare it to SPORE. It would be like that, RP based throughout the galaxy with different races on different levels of sentience. If I wanted I could have a character that is tribal, or have a character that is overly religious, have a character that is extremely advanced and intelligent, have an animalistic character and much more. Again, we would be limited to the models offered for download but I've learned about suspension of disbelief. Just because it isn't exactly what it is, doesn't mean you can't ignore the fact and pretend.

-EpidemicRP: Very valid points with this one, although ERP is my top choice I will try to keep myself impartial for this. It's a good gamemode as well as idea, albeit mostly ripped off from L4D but so are most of the RP game modes. Comprising of 4 major factions it's a lot like Outlands flung into City in a sense. City landscape but with the Outlands sense of survival and action. I admit, it does require a lot of downloads because of the models and props used as well as the overall content of the Epidemic script. Last I saw, around 700-ish MB in total. Though all in all, I can't name any other game modes in GMODrp that you are actually able to play as the zombies and hunt down humans when able as well as play the humans for the thrill of survival and the Scarlet Dawn to mug and rob and live the life of a bandit, the entire time giving you aspects of every point of view. I won't deny that it's a similar survival theme to HL2rp in the sense of Outlands but it has good potential.

Those are just my thoughts anyways. I tried to remain as unbiased as I could, but I think maybe some favoritism crept into some of those. I dunno.

>No matter what happens, no matter how old I get.
>I'll never forget...
>Fats Mcgee. And his Retard Three.

Offline Lone Wanderer <??"?

• The one and only.
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2012, 12:00:24 AM »
@Statua:

I completely understand what you're saying. I'm not saying the idea is bad, I'm just saying I'd like to stray away from that kind of story. I do like Outlands a lot, and I'm sure I'd enjoy TRP if I got into it. But, I'd really like to try on a new outfit entirely. Even though Terminator does offer different RP, and I'm sure it'd attract some players, I think doing something more original and different in the community will attract some more players rather than simply spread out the people who currently are interested in servers like City and the Outlands.

@Frog:

I agree with a lot o the points you made, obviously. However, when I wrote about FantasyRP, I didn't really intend it to come across as being that broad. I meant that there were a lot of different opportunities and paths that you could take in that kind of roleplay or for the over all theme for the server. For example, there could be a typical fantasy war theme, with different races combating against eachother. You could choose to have a more odd alignment, with a human-orc coalition combating the elves. You could even have a peaceful approach to everything, with a more neutral orientation to everything with a few baddies out there. There's so many different races, settings, themes, conflicts, objects, skills, etc that could be implemented. Aside from SpaceRP, I think that this is one of the most open roleplay settings that could be implemented.

Current Characters:
Abdul Sadek - Unregistered citizen, currently near City 18.
Monica Halleway - A seemingly crazy woman roaming the plaza.

Former HL2RP-Characters:
Jennifer Hanson - Former trader now involved with the Lambda Movement in City 17.
'091' - A former rogue medical unit now on the Combine Homeworld. Or is she?
Michael 'Y' Eloriga - A wanted criminal located in City 17, frequently spotted on rooftops.

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2012, 01:33:12 AM »
why are some of you guys suggesting we need something new and original and then bigging up epidemic RP as our "new and original" RP idea

:(

Offline kmp

• 4chan is my friend
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2012, 01:55:56 AM »
You do know that the community that had Epicdemic, including the creator (rick dark, also made tacoscript), died around about 1-3 months after they began? Does that not show something? Sure, the script sounds cool, but would you really play it constantly?

HL2RP is fine, it's been around for a while with CG. You all think that replacing it will solve our player problem, it won't. We've hit a bump, which we shall come through with.
C18.MPF.RAZOR-OfC.448

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2012, 03:28:13 PM »
TBH all I really want is for SOMEONE (Karma) to fix Outlands and restore the CSS, EP2, and Weight Tool on the server. Would be nice to try on a new pair of shoes (ie. TRP story with outlands style/mechanics) but there's still a lot of stuff that's possible on Outlands.

Offline That Guy in a Box

• I Intend To Live Forever, or Die Trying
  • VIP
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2012, 10:31:30 AM »
*A mysterious man, one of a familiar stench of the past comes into the discussion* "'Sup foo's?"
But more on topic if we wanted something 'original' I have an idea.

MODERN REVOLUTION RP (It's just an idea, don't judge)
Basically it's four years into the future, taking place in NYC. The west side of the country is engulfed in a Civil-War, the east within a high tension point. Although almost all of the soldiers are fighting out west, the government has relied on police forces to have a heavy presence all around the city, and when the (ever so often) times come, to fight the U.S.A's fight in absence for the military. Small-time, allied rebel groups pop up in the most anarchistic, poor, un-controlled areas of the city. Often found having small firefights with the local police and SWAT, or maybe going on small time bombings or heists.

Well Boxy, how the hell is this different then the other ideas? And why are you so retarded?

Well, average Joe of CG, I'm not retarded, and I'm going to compare the settings of ideas and current RPs.
*HL2RP Antagonists: Almost Robotic Army of Supersoldiers/alien synths slowly killing off humanity.
TRP Antagonists: Actual Robotic army killing off humanity.

*HL2RP Protagonists: Resistance members trying to overthrow the Union.
TRP Protagonists: Humans trying to figure out how to destory the robots.

*HL2RP Average-Joe: The poor citizen, living a terrible life in a run down hole, where death follows them everywhere.
TRP Average-Joe: The poor refugee, living a terrible life in a run down hole, where death follows them everywhere.

*HL2RP Setting: Crippled version of Earth, with no real human government, economy or society.
TRP Setting: Crippled version of Earth, with no real human government, economy or society.

MR-RP (Modern Revolution RP) setting: Weakened version of the U.S, though Humanity is still holding it out. Taking place, mainly, in NYC.
MR-RP Antagonists: Local Police forces and (Event only) U.S Marines/Soldiers/Other things to fuck us up.
MR-RP Protagonists: Small-time rebels armed with half-assed weapons trying to free the city.
MR-RP Average Joe: A poor U.S Citizen, living in the confines of the Government's control of the City. Either supporting the U.S, or the Rebels.

As you can see, the main idea of it differentiates from the other ideas people have come up with.

No, to all those people out there like 'Oh noes, I'mma lose mah cee pee. That can't happen. DON'T REPLACE HL2RP!!!'
We're not talking to replace it, just come up with something fresh. HL2RP is boring as fuck, and you know it.?
Commence the hatred replies.
I think the inspiration box is just a garbage can...
Also, HEY, I'm not inactive I just don't bother posting nine times out of ten.

Offline Pielolz

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2012, 01:34:50 PM »
All of your ideas are dumb.

They are done too much, and too poorly. We would just be *goin with the flow*
How about W40k RP? One that has never been done properly, if we brush the errant turds off of the otherwise delicous apple pie of W40k RP, we have the best RP server ever. All other servers use antlions for Tyranids and combine for orks, we have awesome coders that can create (or reskin and resound) NPCs to look like the kick ass ones from W40k. With a custom map with input from the w40k fags, we can create an awesome action filled RP.

yay, nay?

Offline swag master spiderman

• Grand Wizard of the KKK
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2012, 02:59:50 PM »
All easier said than done, you want models and sounds as well as a custom map, they're not just freely available, and I doubt we'll get any made.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal