Author Topic: Role playing - "Think you're good? Here's the nooks and crannies." [HL2RP]  (Read 12495 times)

Offline Klashy

• ( . Y . )
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I think some people have forgotten what role playing is about. Let me remind you; It's about immersing yourself in a different reality while pretending to be the character that you are playing.

Immersion's definition:

noun

an act or instance of immersing.
state of being immersed.
state of being deeply engaged or involved; absorption.

Half Life 2 Roleplay isn't about earning money, it isn't about gaining stats, it's not about achieving a certain goal, it's about developing a character's story within a different reality, and making your character survive a scenario.

This means, when you play Half Life 2 Role Play, you surround yourself in the world you are in. You're not in your safe little American/British/Danish homes or cities anymore. You're in a city run by the civil protection who are known to snap necks over curse words, and beat over running. They are to be FEARED.

-Here's a problem brought up earlier in OOC about failure to immerse in the game mode.

Combine: "Get out of here!"
Citizen moves back five feet, continuing to stare
Combine pulls out electric baton
Citizen stares

Not really sure what this means, if that is /me'd all of it, well then take it ICly, yeah theyre supposed to fearRP but fearrp can result in just standing still doing nothing (kinda like paralyse)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is bull shit. It makes the game unenjoyable not only for the combine, but for other citizens spectating. Other citizens are supposed to see the compliance and control that the combine have over the citizens; It's all a part of the atmosphere of the game.

- Another problem that I constantly deal with; The CCA are talking, they chit and chat, I get involved with them trying to roleplay seriously, and then the LOOC chatter starts happening about something completely retarded, and it kills the mood of the game.

Combine: Citizen, I need to speak with you
Worker: Yes sir, what's the issue
Combine: This citizen is very hurt, and needs medical assistance
Combine(LOOC): LOL D00D TRICYCLE STUCK HALF WAY UP HIS ASS.
Worker: Right... uh, i'll get on that.
Combine2(LOOC): ARE YOU GONNA GET THE TRICYLCE OUT LOLLLEIESSS, LETS GO GET DONUTS BRO!

If someone asks for (L)OOC silence during RP, people should comply to that. Its up to the people involves/around if they want to chat meanwhile or not. If someone keeps talking looc while rp even after silence was asked, tell an admin

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is just annoying and bothersome. I don't like how often OOC is used in this game. OOC should be for explaining something that happened on accident in game or having to do with glitches within the game, not have a separate conversation with the person you're playing with, if you wanted to do that, go into SF and save the rest of us the mood kill. Maybe we should play with it disabled for a little while and see what it's like?

OOC is for people to chat with eachother, can be whatever. Rules, help, anything, dosnt even have to be (HL2)RP related, if you are so bothered by OOC chat, turn it off in settings.

-Dead bodies, STOP GRABBING THEM AS SOON AS YOU SEE THEM. First of all, you're all malnourished citizens, there's no way you'd be able to lift a body up off the ground and carry it. Second off, it's just plain stupid, dead or unconcious people don't get picked up and thrown around, think about how ridiculousness that would be in real life.

Grandma faints
Grand child 1 picks up grandma by back, slamming her around as he walks her up the stairs, placing her down in a weird positon
Grand child 2 jump crouches over the grandma, picking her up again and setting her down only to be annoying

Its already kickable/bannable to fling corpses around for no reason and specially without /me since its well powergaming. if you see this, again, call admin

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Retarded.

For a roleplaying world to come alive, we need everyone's help and cooperation. Just stop being minges and trolls. When you see something different, be mature about it, look at it, gaze it, don't run up and steal it, or try to break it.

And truth be told, if you're under the age of 16, you shouldn't be playing HL2RP. You should be playing some other lesser game mode because without an established high school education, you can't have the maturity to appreciate this form of acting. That doesn't apply to EVERYONE, however, I'm sure most would agree that 18 year old and older are more serious than 14 and under...

Age dosnt have shit to do with RP-skill or anything. I was admin on hl2rp aswell when i was 14, got DvL  and was never banned. There are people 18+ that are bigger failures and dicks than people around 13. It comes down to the PERSON not the age. A 12yearold can be a better RPer than someone 18. Yeah it sounds unlikely but sometimes it does happen that a smart kid comes around

Sure, this was sort of a rant, but it's a rant that's been a long time coming, help the server get it's atmosphere back, and do your part. It only takes one idiot to fuck up the entire game for everyone.

My answers arei n red bold.

Ah, Mr. I Disapprove Everything (No matter what it is.)

You're being too critical, you know exactly what I'm talking about. "That doesn't apply to EVERYONE" << The exact reason I put that there, So i didn't get some butt hurt comment about how "I'M THIRTEEN I CAN ADMUND"

For the no fear RP reason, you said "
Not really sure what this means, if that is /me'd all of it, well then take it ICly, yeah theyre supposed to fearRP but fearrp can result in just standing still doing nothing (kinda like paralyse)
"

Yes, they ARE SUPPOSED TO. But they don't, the entire reason of me putting this here. And given several fair warnings to move away doesn't set off a paralyzed response in the brain. Now if the combine quickly turned around smacking the person, I can see it startling them to paralyzed state, but i'm takling in general, and you KNEW that.

To flinging around bodies you said "Its already kickable/bannable to fling corpses around for no reason and specially without /me since its well powergaming. if you see this, again, call admin
"

It's rare than an admin is on to take care of this all the time that this happens, i posted this to inform people so maybe they could read this and realize "Wow, picking up dead bodies is pretty fail rp."

To the OOC complaint section you said "OOC is for people to chat with eachother, can be whatever. Rules, help, anything, dosnt even have to be (HL2)RP related, if you are so bothered by OOC chat, turn it off in settings."

All I'm saying is, it should be cut down in local use, because it's hard to take the atmosphere seriously when people aren't using OOC to ask about rules or help, They're using it simply because it's there to bring idiocracy into the roleplaying world. I gave a very valid example.

So what do you suggest, since theres obviously no admins and OOC is supposed to be used for only server yet we shouldnt use it.

Should we make applications to join the server?

The one thing that can deal with all of this is ADMINS. Theres a reason theyre there.

Did you even read what I said? All I'm saying is, it should be cut down in local use, That doesn't say "OOC should be removed from the game completely and admins too" I don't even know why you'd come out with such a belligerent statement, I made this thread to educate people to take out of character talking to SF or /pm's. Not remove OOC and Admins from the game, what the fuck?

"The one thing that can deal with all of this is ADMINS. Theres a reason theyre there" << Admins are not all ways there, and what the message i'm trying to get to you is when admins AREN'T around, people should have the proper maturity to follow these small steps to make the atmosphere of the game more realistic.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:00:12 PM by [cG] Klashy »

Offline swag master spiderman

• Grand Wizard of the KKK
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I've only been playing for a while, but ooc and looc being used doesn't really bother me, I just get back in character and ignore it.

Offline Anzu

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
If theres no admins and people are being dumb, there is Ban Requests.

Everything you have ranted about in this thread already has its proper approaches. Nothing needs to be changed.

Offline Klashy

• ( . Y . )
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Ban Request, that doesn't fix the atmosphere of the game play.

This isn't a change request for anything concerning the developers of the game, this is an attitude change request by me to the other players. I'm only asking the players if they'd help bring the immersion of the game back, by not doing stupid acts such as the ones stated in this thread.

Offline Atticat

• View Profile
    • Awards
One more thing. I see so many "strong and powerful" characters walking around. You are all malnourished, the supplements only have the nutrients to barely sustain you. If somebody is oh so strong, then the CCA should be dragging them away for interrogation on the accusation of steroid use.

What's worse, the CCA does not acknowledge this part of the game. It seems to be some unspoken rule to ignore this facet of HL2RP.

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Guides won't change anything as I've learned, no matter how correct this is, the already-good players will read it and improve slightly, the worse people who this is aimed at won't read it and won't change...

The Mysterious Stranger

This is basically a few paragraphs that shows what Half-Life 2 roleplay is suppose to be at it's finest, not to be surrounded and played by a bunch of minges and fail roleplayers. Yes, some of these people can play (excluding the minges) but it just ruins the fun for those who are listening and/or watching sentences that appear on their screens. For example, a fail roleplayer encountered in a fight against another roleplay is expertise in roleplaying and knows the basics. The atmosphere is suppose to be depressing and desolate like there is no saviour out there that your citizen can think of and that's what the community is aiming for along with good roleplayers. Roleplayers DO change the game depending on their skill.

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
One more thing. I see so many "strong and powerful" characters walking around. You are all malnourished, the supplements only have the nutrients to barely sustain you. If somebody is oh so strong, then the CCA should be dragging them away for interrogation on the accusation of steroid use.

What's worse, the CCA does not acknowledge this part of the game. It seems to be some unspoken rule to ignore this facet of HL2RP.

The CCA don't want to waste time arresting minges because of a description when they'll probably just disconnect or mingerun.

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
People with incorrect titles is usually them not knowing the canon, which is why I usually explain to them why it's wrong instead of detaining them...

Offline Atticat

• View Profile
    • Awards

The CCA don't want to waste time arresting minges because of a description when they'll probably just disconnect or mingerun.

There's lots of things I don't want to do, like wasting time playing doctor with minges. Unless they start getting totally out of hand - I still have to do it. That's an extremely poor excuse. Might as well take it out of the game if it's going to be ignored and say the supplements do have nutrients so the citizens can work decently.

Offline Kevin

• I AM SO KROGAN
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I started playing hl2rp when I was 13, sure I fucked around quite a bit but after I got into I started realizing being serious about it was much more enjoyable.
Frolie [Tray is Krogan]: sup bra
Tray [Isn't Krogan]: not much panties

Offline Klashy

• ( . Y . )
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
For what SMT said about this guide helping no body, well, jeesh man. Thanks.

Second off, this isn't a rant, this isn't a guide, this is for people who WANT to learn to how to roleplay here, who really want to enjoy the good of the game.

Minges don't even bother coming to the website. If I were a minge, I wouldn't bother fucking around on some forum, I'd be worried about being in the game ruining it. Good think i'm not a minge though.

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards

There's lots of things I don't want to do, like wasting time playing doctor with minges. Unless they start getting totally out of hand - I still have to do it. That's an extremely poor excuse. Might as well take it out of the game if it's going to be ignored and say the supplements do have nutrients so the citizens can work decently.

So we should waste time attempting to RP with minges instead of ignoring those who want to actually RP seriously?

No, I'd like to play with people who actually RP instead of taking 10 minutes to detain a minge only for them to disconnect in detainment.

Offline Klashy

• ( . Y . )
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
If I deal with a minge, I simply disregard them, If they continue, I shoot them in the leg and try to get them unconcious and just lock them away in a cell, removing them from the rest of the player base. Because truthfully minges are worth zero timing, and maybe if even one minge, just one minge, read what I wrote in this thread, then maybe, the entire world would just fucking nut.

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I felt I would put in my two cents in this thread.  Firstly, I agree whole-heartedly with you, Klashy.  More needs to be done about the incursion of minges.  If you wish to sound overly dramatic, you could say our server is under siege from players who seemingly join it just to troll us.  More needs to be done to improve the RP environment in general, and many of the CCA High Command, myself included, have started cracking down on unprofessional behavior within our ranks.

Secondly, the CCA and minges.  In response to Lawdee, the CPs are not robots.  I see units acting unprofessionally in-character up to 01.  It is when they receive augments that they lose their humanity and become terminators.  Inserting the argument between Atticat and Moon, as a NOVA unit, it seems like I am called upon every second to deal with some strange virus or insanity.  When I write them off as being a minge, more and more people take up the RP, and soon we have an impromptu event so convoluted, that the only way to end it is an admin order.  As for actually dealing with the strong citizens, I frankly just void it.  If the CCA started to implement a no-tolerance policy towards strong minges, it would be like the Brazilians sending in a full army to sweep the Favela.  There would be so many lawbreakers, that CPs and admins together wouldn't be able to handle all of them.

Thirdly, a HUGE problem on our server right now is people making "muscled" players.  People need to realize that you're not thin because of muscle, but because of malnutrition.  You think there are MREs in those rations you get every so often?  NOPE!  They're nutrient supplements, like those multivitamins you took as a child:  They sure as hell don't fill your stomach, but they do give you enough nutrients to survive another day.  This does not include energy.  Saying that you work out, which is how your got muscled, won't fly.  You need protein to build muscle, and the amount of protein in those supplements (IF there is protein in them) is minute to the point of negligibility.  The only time I will tolerate this is if you have structured your diet COMPLETELY off of non-UU food.  Speaking of UU food, that stuff isn't much better for you than the supplements.  Imagine McDonald's meets Tofurky:  You have no idea what it is, but whatever it is, it isn't turkey, and it definitely isn't healthy.

Finally, in response to Teh Caek, sure, we could just post ban requests, but who the hell is going to post a ban request on someone who they saw dragging a body around on the street?  Assuming that people always have fraps at the ready to post a ban request is as idiotic as assuming that admins are always online and at the ready.  You guys have as much a life as we do, and this thread is a think tank on how to put a bandaid on the damage that minges are doing to the RP until an admin can get on to rectify it fully.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 02:10:53 AM by Hazard Time »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal