Author Topic: Lack of danger & hostility  (Read 9642 times)

Offline putin

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Lack of danger & hostility
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2013, 12:32:45 AM »
I'm going to summarize this thread and add my opinion.

OTA:
Citizens of outlands are the jews and the OTA are German solders searching for you, this should be how people interact with any combine. I have to admit that my character Frank has made a few mistakes and lolattacked the combine, I'll make sure this stops and encourage others to follow the path of the jews.

NPC's: NPC's can be used sometimes but should always should be supervised by an admin. Zombies do walk around pretty slow and are very avoidable so I think unsupervised zombie NPC's in the tunnel's wouldn't be an issue.

"evil/grey" characters: People should make characters that sin like every human does. Frank Dorco, my main, has a huge drinking problem which causes trouble for some people.

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2013, 07:20:17 AM »
Adding hostile NPCs, even zombies, pretty much means that you have to own a firearm to travel anywhere. Not sure if want.
o7

Offline garry :D

• ~I LOVE a boat~
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2013, 07:23:52 AM »
I had meant to post in this earlier regarding the OTA situation, but I got sidetracked with something else. Here are the revised patrol guidelines:

Patrols and raids:
  • A patrol is the fulfillment of an unscheduled reconnaissance between two or more points. There is not a specific target involved in this kind of action. Patrolling units should NOT become engaged in combat unless they encounter active resistance (such as a refugee firing at the patrol with a shotgun or if they encounter a refugee who refuses to comply with a move-on order). The required amount of units is a minimum of 3.
  • There is currently no limit on the amount of patrols that can occur per week [previously, it was a limit of once a week but many players on Outlands have requested more]. They must not occur unless there are 10 or more players already on the server.
  • A raid is the fulfillment of a scheduled strike against an objective. There is a specific target involved in this kind of action, usually a supply depot or a high-value target. Raiding units should NOT become engaged in combat with non-essential targets who are not related to the objective unless they offer resistance. The required amount of units is a minimum of 4 regular units with 1 Elite unit included.
  • Passive RP should not be disrupted at any time unless there is an obstruction in your path (a refugee-built roadblock on a patrol route is an example of interference). On a related note, if you walk by a building window and you see the top of an unarmed citizen's head who poses no real threat, keep moving. You're free to hint at the fact that you OOCly see them by doing something like "*OTA.VANGUARD.12345 peeks his head to each side of the window frame. He examines what little is visible of the interior, but moves on after finding nothing of value."
  • Patrolling units should be following the main roads and not deviating near the bunker. Patrolling up the river and back in a loop is fine, but don't ascend the pathway up to the bunker.

tl;dr - OTA won't PK you on patrols unless you start shooting at us first or if you are caught on the side of the road with a tonne of weapons and ammo. In most cases if we see you OOCly in an area that is 'hidden' then we'll keep moving on IClly.   

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
Why is the server population requirement 10? Why not 8 or 6? Just wondering why that specific number.
o7

Offline garry :D

• ~I LOVE a boat~
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2013, 09:28:48 AM »
It stops us from treating the Pass as if it's empty all of the time when the server is out of peak hour.

Offline Delta1116732

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2013, 02:26:08 PM »
Adding hostile NPCs, even zombies, pretty much means that you have to own a firearm to travel anywhere. Not sure if want.
That's why I suggest mostly slow zombies so you have a choice to run or shoot. You can pretty much out walk them.

Out of Character for OOC:
Colombo Beniamino: i'm honestly contemplating joining NOVA even though i don't like medical RP because it actually has active DvL

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2013, 06:59:09 PM »
Adding NPCs is a horrible idea. A few reasons why.

1. One does not simply rp with an NPC.

2. Weapons would be needed to anywhere- this would suck.

3. NPCs make the game feel very shallow, un serious and so boring.

**Insert poorly made signature with fire, lens flares and obnoxious text**

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2013, 07:04:21 PM »
City and Outlands are RP servers, serious ones at that, if anyone is adding NPCs they've probably lost their mind

Offline Delta1116732

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2013, 07:37:24 PM »
Adding NPCs is a horrible idea. A few reasons why.

1. One does not simply rp with an NPC.

2. Weapons would be needed to anywhere- this would suck.

3. NPCs make the game feel very shallow, un serious and so boring.
Did you read my full argument?

1. "NPC's don't create RP" Thats true they don't in combat RP or anything like that. As I said before a sense of fear RP is added, and along with that team work of the IC characters to avoid them. Sometimes not everything has to be based off of RP. Sometimes people just want to see danger for the fun of it."

2. "That's why I suggest mostly slow zombies so you have a choice to run or shoot. You can pretty much out walk them."

3. Un serious? I don't see how putting NPC's from Half-Life 2 makes it seem un serious. People have a choice to avoid or shoot them, and how is it boring? Your adding a fight into the game that makes it boring. Players have the option to do a good fight, or role play instead of just being focused on role play that doesn't really seem that horrible.

Out of Character for OOC:
Colombo Beniamino: i'm honestly contemplating joining NOVA even though i don't like medical RP because it actually has active DvL

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »
Sometimes not everything has to be based off of RP. Sometimes people just want to see danger for the fun of it.

That's not what serious roleplay in general is about, especially not Outlands HL2RP at CG. If you "just want to see danger for the fun of it," you can get plenty of that playing any FPS vidyagame of your choosing.
o7

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2013, 01:14:30 AM »
Ineu Valley has like, a shitbucket ton of space away from roads to build little tents or bases now. There's no excuse for not finding a place hidden from OTA patrols to base at.

Keep in mind, in ineu_valley, OTA will do their patrols along the major roads, completing a full loop around the area. This means they will walk past the inn to cross the bridge. OTA will not look into the inn or enter any buildings, unless provoked to do so. If you're out on the street however, they will get you and spank you, unless you have an armory on you. Then they might detain you.

TL;DR, the inn is still considered a hands-off zone for ota, however you are encouraged to find refuge somewhere in the bush. There's lots of it with lots of space for building forts n shit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal