Author Topic: PC Build  (Read 11043 times)

Offline ReillyP

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: PC Build
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2013, 11:16:04 PM »
No, do not go with Windows 8.1

Windows 7 is still the best plan for an operating system as Windows 8/8.1 is not optimized for gaming and actually knocks a large motherfucking chunk out of your gaming performance. It also has a bunch of limitations if you ever plan to do any development on them.

All in All, Windows 8/8.1 is a pile of shit.

nope.
Doing benchmarks at work has shown me with mid to very High-end rigs with windows 7v8 and 7v8
Found next to no negative or positives over each other

In all truth I used XP through VISTA and most of 7... only reason I stopped was because of the support drop.
It is really up to what you like and are used to, if you love 7 then keep it until things stop supporting it.

I use 8 right now and hated metro at the start but now I don't mind it, faster boot and all.

Change with electronics, PC's more so, is always going to be part of the game. Playing it well is finding the right blend of cost to preformac and preference.

If you can get 8 for the same price or less than 7 do it..
I slay demon and demonic accessories.

Offline Stevob21

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2013, 10:28:24 AM »
Benchmarks vs. Real-world tests.

There is no comparison, I develop on windows, I had the developer preview which was out before anyone else got their hands on it, it is bloody terrible.

Stick with Windows 8/8.1 until it's proven to atleast boost game performance and compiling time, Windows 7 has stood the test of time and it is one of the best operating systems you can get currently.

I guess you are forgetting that I am actually a developer and the speel of "I use benchmarks @ work" proves nothing.

Offline ReillyP

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2013, 11:01:03 AM »

There is no comparison, I develop on windows, I had the developer preview which was out before anyone else got their hands on it, it is bloody terrible.

Stick with Windows 8/8.1 until it's proven to atleast boost game performance and compiling time, Windows 7 has stood the test of time and it is one of the best operating systems you can get currently.

I guess you are forgetting that I am actually a developer and the speel of "I use benchmarks @ work" proves nothing.

Doing benchmarks and burn-in includes synthetic and in game testing still showing next to no difference on high end and mid range rigs.

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2013, 03:45:39 PM »
i also had the developer build for W8 and it was pretty horrible but the actual OS for windows 8/8.1 isnt that bad whatsoever, all it takes is a bit of getting used to like i said and the differences for gaming between them are minimal at best, it all comes down to personal preference

also please dont use the "im a developer" card again, makes you sound elitist as fuck

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2013, 03:56:12 PM »
i also had the developer build for W8 and it was pretty horrible but the actual OS for windows 8/8.1 isnt that bad whatsoever, all it takes is a bit of getting used to like i said and the differences for gaming between them are minimal at best, it all comes down to personal preference

also please dont use the "im a developer" card again, makes you sound elitist as fuck
He doesn't mean in CG. Afaik he's a dev IRL for, something. I dont remember what though.

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2013, 06:26:00 PM »
Hi, even though this thread shouldn't be a OS debate I'm just going to throw in this. As a network admin, the fact that the metro UI is in Windows Server 2012 makes me want to burn down some specific buildings in Washington.

"Tap here to install the IIS role"

Offline ReillyP

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2013, 07:23:55 PM »

Doing benchmarks and burn-in includes synthetic and in game testing still showing next to no difference on high end and mid range rigs.

I guess being a dev means synthetic and real world tests can be disregarded.

I do agree though, I have had dev build before the public test of 8 and it has been complete crap.
Not sure if any of you had this problem but depending on the license you were given/bought/stole you have different update times. My computers at work update well before my home PC does and they both run the same build.

Offline Keskjer

• Catalyst Gaming
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2013, 04:27:31 PM »
Your all welcome to post your opinions, but lets not start a un-needed argument for W7vsW8+ and etc. He can easily google the differences and find what OS to use. He can also use google to fine numerous forums sites with the same debates about which is better.

Offline Stevob21

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2013, 12:48:47 PM »

I do agree though, I have had dev build before the public test of 8 and it has been complete crap.
Not sure if any of you had this problem but depending on the license you were given/bought/stole you have different update times. My computers at work update well before my home PC does and they both run the same build.

Being a developer doesn't change the fact that synthetic benchmarks can be disregarded, it's the fact that an average person get's hooked in by some simple benchmarks.

Synthetic benchmarks are called that for a reason, they are built to try emulate real-word scenarios but I have yet to see one which actually corresponds to real-world performance. I have also tried Windows 8 since the developer preview, and 8.1 but they still seem to have a seriously bad problem with SLI performance, specifically micro-stuttering.

It has been more than enough time for this problem to be fixed by Nvidia, and it seems like it isn't as simple as that and it's actually a operating system level problem.

Until I see from my own physical tests of games working to identical if not better performance than Windows 7 on Windows 8, I will not support Windows 8/8.1 in any way. As in every single test, each split by at least 5-6 months the problems have not been solved/partially solved.

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2013, 12:56:11 PM »

Being a developer doesn't change the fact that synthetic benchmarks can be disregarded, it's the fact that an average person get's hooked in by some simple benchmarks.

Synthetic benchmarks are called that for a reason, they are built to try emulate real-word scenarios but I have yet to see one which actually corresponds to real-world performance. I have also tried Windows 8 since the developer preview, and 8.1 but they still seem to have a seriously bad problem with SLI performance, specifically micro-stuttering.

It has been more than enough time for this problem to be fixed by Nvidia, and it seems like it isn't as simple as that and it's actually a operating system level problem.

Until I see from my own physical tests of games working to identical if not better performance than Windows 7 on Windows 8, I will not support Windows 8/8.1 in any way. As in every single test, each split by at least 5-6 months the problems have not been solved/partially solved.

its like a 1-2fps difference between windows 7 and windows 8 holy fuck you are acting like windows 8 is the 2nd vista

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2013, 03:45:31 PM »
Please move your w7 - w8 debate to another thread.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal