Author Topic: Massive Project  (Read 9080 times)

Offline deleted

• View Profile
    • Awards
Massive Project
« on: April 27, 2012, 01:23:37 PM »
Okay. This will be my first map, so I'm making it as big as Hammer allows. This is also a request, is you're like Statua or one of those great mappers that I bow to, I could use some help on this project. It's going to be called possibly RP_City84 (Which will be the same thing without the nodes and building areas) or GM_(Something). I'm learning from YouTube, learning for a month or two now. Please no flame like: It's Impossible, or lolnoob u caut mak dis leywel so here's what's gonna be on it or MAY be on it...
Plans for the map:
Fully NPC noded (Rapelling Nodes, Air Nodes, Ground Nodes, Radio Nodes)
Massive Landscape
Lots of Extra Detail
Mountains/Cliffs
Medium Private Building Areas (MPBA)
Roads
High 3D Skybox
Bay/Sea-like thingy, a lake or two, maybe a river with working current if I can learn about that.
Repeating terrain (With boundaries, of course)

Plans for the City:
Gate leading to exterior world space,
6 Districts or Sectors,
Over 40 buildings
Apartments
Also fully noded
Nexus
Citadel(Maybe)
Exterior warspace at City Gates (So you can do Resistance-versus-Combine deathmatches)
Thumpers
Electricity System
Canals/Outer Canals, working crane included
Train and Boats (Teach me about func_move or whatever and it's possible, PLEASE!)

So... This probably will require an Alienware-grade computer. But oh well. I'm gonna work on it anyway. It will probably take 4 months to a year, but it'll still be fun to make. Please leave suggestions and help in the replies, no flame wars, and thank you for reading.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 01:27:25 PM by Zaughi »
Click to see the original size.

Offline Swoots

• pounding horse pussy since 1847
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Massive Project
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 01:26:48 PM »

NRK

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 09:10:30 PM »
Although you are not lacking ambition, your plan is highly unrealistic. The Hammer grid size goes something, don't quote me on this, like 10 times it is then on gm_flatgrass. You couldn't do one thing in your plan that won't break one of Hammer's tedious limits - like entities or brushes. Take an example of noding it. You could not node this and not, by far, and not reach the entity limit. GMod 13 couldn't couldn't run these, no Source game would ever be. I don't know any engine or computer that isn't NASA's that could come even close to running what you are thinking of.

On another note, your idea of a large city with landscapes and the such, like in games like GTA and ArmA, is pretty interesting and a nice way to look at RP, but it goes against one thing. There are only a limited amount of player slots on a server, max reaching 64. Super huge maps would mean next to no RP for anybody. Walk 20 minutes and see nobody even when the server is full. Overall, nice idea but it would never work - singleplayer or multiplayer, on Source or on any other engine. Good luck, you're going to need it.

Offline garry :D

• ~I LOVE a boat~
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 09:17:31 AM »
You have actually made maps before, yes?

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 09:28:33 AM »
Statua or one of those great mappers that I bow to

i didnt realize copy pasting map areas from hl2 counted as being a good mapper

Offline Khub

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 12:11:49 PM »

Okay, do your own version of Ineu pass from different HL2 map, and post us the link if you think it is so easy.

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 12:41:27 PM »

Okay, do your own version of Ineu pass from different HL2 map, and post us the link if you think it is so easy.
I didn't say mapping is easy, infact I'm saying NOT mapping is easy, copy pasting parts from existing maps doesn't make anyone a "good" mapper, the best maps are 100% original.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 06:32:15 PM »
I didn't say mapping is easy, infact I'm saying NOT mapping is easy, copy pasting parts from existing maps doesn't make anyone a "good" mapper, the best maps are 100% original.
He's got a point but he seems to miss that bout 40% of Ineu is scratch built, including the entire bunker other then the outside (the compound and the big doors, which were modified still)

Smt is a dipshit though. Don't worry about what he says. He has the tendancy to whip his e-penis around like a child with a ragdoll.

-ADD-

Oh and just cause I copypasta'd outlands 10 and 10_b doesn't mean I'm not a great mapper. Hell I tore down SEVERAL areas of that map. Thing is, if I tried to make Ineu from scratch, I wouldn't be done till about June, from when I started in December. Mapping that's A LOT of fucking time when scratch building and loss of interest is common. Especially if you don't have any references such as blueprints, concept art, or real-world locations to replicate.

And you know what, I know valve hammer inside and out. I have techniques up the ying yang. I know it's limits of everything, what you can and cant do, and even how to script several basic and advanced sequences solely with hammer. Don't assume I don't know much cause I took two maps and bashed them together.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 06:36:43 PM by Statua {FRAGOPOLIS.NET} »

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 02:30:00 AM »
He's got a point but he seems to miss that bout 40% of Ineu is scratch built, including the entire bunker other then the outside (the compound and the big doors, which were modified still)

Smt is a dipshit though. Don't worry about what he says. He has the tendancy to whip his e-penis around like a child with a ragdoll.

-ADD-

Oh and just cause I copypasta'd outlands 10 and 10_b doesn't mean I'm not a great mapper. Hell I tore down SEVERAL areas of that map. Thing is, if I tried to make Ineu from scratch, I wouldn't be done till about June, from when I started in December. Mapping that's A LOT of fucking time when scratch building and loss of interest is common. Especially if you don't have any references such as blueprints, concept art, or real-world locations to replicate.

And you know what, I know valve hammer inside and out. I have techniques up the ying yang. I know it's limits of everything, what you can and cant do, and even how to script several basic and advanced sequences solely with hammer. Don't assume I don't know much cause I took two maps and bashed them together.

did i touch a nerve

Offline wag1

• somalian dry
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 02:07:10 PM »
All this stuff you're talking about adding... You must understand... RSO...

Offline deleted

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 02:33:58 PM »
I've done a few semi-linear maps before. This is just my first big, open project. And I absolutely understand RSO's, so this is probably going to be built upon single-player. Maps like OuterCanals are incredibly noded plus the maps in HL2. I think I can node this too if I make it slightly linear. I'm going to tone it down a little. I'm only working on making the spawn point look good right now. As I said, this will take time. OuterCanals is huge, and I've played on it with no lag whatsoever. Also think map size like GM_Valley and Gm_Atomic. That size or a bit bigger. Hammer, as I've noticed on my draft project, really CAN'T hold it, so you guys were kind of right. But on the bright side, I can still include almost everything else. Except the trains and boats. I decided it won't be fun in singleplayer unless I build them myself in-game. The Citadel, because I don't have HL2, I cannot do. Maybe as a 3D skybox counterpart. I'll have the rest set up, thanks for the feedback on the plan. I'm working on the ACTUAL PROJECT now, the draft for the smaller version is half-complete.

Offline FPSRussia

• AUTISTIC FAGGOT WHORE
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 10:53:39 PM »
RSO is something very common with big maps like you have described.
hello my name is Ryan Fournier. I am known on the internet as autism, and I like to pretend I am a little boy named Jamie Laou, a Justin Bieber look alike. I am not 18, so don't listen to me when I say I am. I'm roughly 13 years old.

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 11:38:31 PM »
You have actually made maps before, yes?

Okay. This will be my first map, so I'm making it as big as Hammer allows. This is also a request, is you're like Statua or one of those great mappers that I bow to, I could use some help on this project. ...Etc.

Offline deleted

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 10:12:12 AM »
Grammatical issue, I'm typing fast. Here's a revised version, bud: "Okay, this is going to be my first open map, so I'm making it half the size of the Hammer grid but on the origin of the grid and in a square fashion." Happy now?

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 02:56:36 PM »
Open maps are extremely difficult but more do time consuming to optimize. Good luck with that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal