Author Topic: PC Upgrade  (Read 3883 times)

Offline Tyrion The Anal Explorer

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
PC Upgrade
« on: July 30, 2014, 11:28:59 AM »
I have decided to upgrade my graphics card in my computer from an R9 270X to a GTX 770 for my birthday. But I don't know if to get 2GB of VRAM or 4GB of VRAM. If I decide on 2GB I can afford the 2GB EVGA SC. But, if I decided on 4GB I can't afford the 4GB EVGA SC as it's beyond my budget so I would probably get the 4GB MSI Twin frozr.

If you could offer your opinions and suggestions it would be appreciated :)

(By the way, my budget is around 280 GBP so if you can find a 4GB EVGA SC for that price then please tell me.)

^^Credit to Dixon xD

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: PC Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 12:12:08 PM »
we answered this in shoutbox lol, if you are going to do 1080p gaming then theres no reason to go higher than 2GB VRAM so get the 2GB one

if anyone tells you to get more than 2GB VRAM for 1080p gaming then they are really stupid unless you plan on moving up to like 4k gaming in the future, which is still not worth it atm

Offline Stevob21

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 12:58:10 PM »
The twin frozr is an overall better card, it has slightly higher core and boost clock than the Evga 770 SC ( as I suspected, most normal evga cards are clocked less than other standard cards )

I suggest future proofing yourself with the twinfrozr, this gives you the ability to run 1440p monitors and even a couple of 1080p monitors without problem. For that price range, the frozr is the best choice you can make and not taking the better 4GB card is just insanity considering its only roughly £30 more.

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 01:09:22 PM »
or like literally save your money and get:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-msi-gtx-770-tf-gaming-pcie-30-(x16)-7010mhz-gddr5-gpu-1098mhz-boost-1150mhz-cores-1536-dport-dvi

you dont need 4GB unless its going to 4k gaming and even then the current cards we have already struggle at doing such a thing at high quality 60fps so you might as well be smart and get the 2GB MSI Twin Frozr plus the cooling on that card is really nice and then use the rest of the money to get something else like an SSD for caching to speed up your system even more

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 02:55:49 PM »
The twin frozr is an overall better card, it has slightly higher core and boost clock than the Evga 770 SC ( as I suspected, most normal evga cards are clocked less than other standard cards )

I suggest future proofing yourself with the twinfrozr, this gives you the ability to run 1440p monitors and even a couple of 1080p monitors without problem. For that price range, the frozr is the best choice you can make and not taking the better 4GB card is just insanity considering its only roughly £30 more.

Bought the 4GB MSI for a few reasons:

1. I do plan on running a second monitor in future.
2. The newest games coming out are starting to need more than 2GB of VRAM.
3. I want to give my GPU some headroom.

^^Credit to Dixon xD

Offline Stevob21

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 05:27:42 PM »
Good selection, if you plan to run a couple of 1440p monitors or a 4k monitor way off in the future, I suggest just tossing another twinfrozr in (they will get cheaper) and just SLI them rather than buying another graphics card a few years down the line.

Hope you enjoy the smooooooth FPS boost that you get from the 770, my twin 660's have done me good for roughly 2 years now and still hitting a few hundred fps is pretty much any game thrown at it.

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 10:00:51 AM »
Good selection, if you plan to run a couple of 1440p monitors or a 4k monitor way off in the future, I suggest just tossing another twinfrozr in (they will get cheaper) and just SLI them rather than buying another graphics card a few years down the line.

Hope you enjoy the smooooooth FPS boost that you get from the 770, my twin 660's have done me good for roughly 2 years now and still hitting a few hundred fps is pretty much any game thrown at it.

I threw the 770 at Metro last light, crysis etc.
Been getting fantastic framerate and quality, had a few problems on metro last light where it tanks a little due to the SSAA but that doesn't surprise me.

^^Credit to Dixon xD

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 10:14:48 AM »

Been getting fantastic framerate and quality, had a few problems on metro last light where it tanks a little due to the SSAA but that doesn't surprise me.

SSAA is like the most intensive AA method though and drains performance because it renders the entire game at like 2-4x the resolution and downsamples it

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 10:53:38 AM »

SSAA is like the most intensive AA method though and drains performance because it renders the entire game at like 2-4x the resolution and downsamples it

Yep.

Just tested it on farcry 3 and other games and been getting 60 fps on almost max settings.

^^Credit to Dixon xD

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal