Author Topic: Richard Sherlock's Authorization Application  (Read 3369 times)

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Richard Sherlock's Authorization Application
« on: October 21, 2012, 04:49:24 PM »
Player Section

Steam Name: The Doctor
How long have you been Roleplaying? (can be any game): About a year.
How long have you been playing Serious GMod RP?: Eight months.

Character Section

Authorization(s):
-Basic Knowledge of Chemistry
-Knowledge on how to build a basic chemisty kit constructed from improvised materials

Name: Richard Sherlock
Affiliation: Resistance

Write a detailed in-canon back-story how your character obtained these authorizations.
-Chemistry Knowledge-
Green Court House 1997
Richard: aged 16

"Richard, you must study." The tutor said in a stern tone, watching Sherlock sit vacantly at the table, staring down at the textbook. Richard had never liked his tutor; Mr Henderson, he was too pushy, didn't appreciate Sherlock's talents and only demanded that he continued to study rigorously, never stopping to congratulate or praise him. Typical. Richard had come to expect that from people; the lack of appreciation, the constant need for more. He found it difficult to study with this fool around him. "You'll be failing your chemistry at this rate... I will have to inform your father about this, he will be so disappointed." Said Mr Henderson as he began to pace with a pompous swagger around the mahogany table of the study. Richard decided that was enough from Henderson; he grabbed his books and started off to his room with a sulky expression plastered over his face. 

Sherlock swung his door open, slipped inside then promptly slammed it shut. His father was out at work, his mother was away in the US helping with a negotiation of oil prices, only the housemaid, Miss Lawrence, a foul old woman, remained. He dared not leave his room, for fear of Mr Henderson dispensing another lecture, so he did what his parents said he should do him his spare time: study. But what? There were a few textbooks laying around the room, mostly dusty and had been revised over several times. The book he had taken with him was bright and colorful, not something Sherlock would find a major factor but on this dreary October afternoon, with the rain beating at his window, he felt he may as well pick something that looked like the publishers made an effort. The textbook was about the subject chemistry, one of Sherlock's lesser subjects; he didn't as much hate the subject, just the tutor and now that he was out of the way, Sherlock could actually concentrate.

Richard's father wanted Sherlock to become an MP or maybe even work with him in Whitehall Institute. However this was not to be as Sherlock's fascination with chemistry exceeded that of politics, despite his father's best efforts.

Green Court House 1999
Richard: aged 18

"Richard, son, come down here!" Yelled his father in his usual booming tone which reminded Sherlock of Brian Blessed, much to his amusement. Richard dragged his feet down the carpeted stairs, hands locked firmly onto the banister, it was 7am on a Saturday and Sherlock's parents had received a letter from Mr Barrows (Richard's Politics tutor) this was never a good sign. Richard rubbed his eyes slowly to hide his glares at his father for waking up so early.
"What is it?" Sherlock mumbled, eyes now clearing, he saw his father; a tall and mustached male in his late forties holding a single white envelope, the wax seal on it's front had been torn open.

"Your latest progress report on political studies from Mister Barrows, this is the worst result yet, sit down." Father ordered, Richard put on a scowl and sank into a plush pink chair (for all the chairs were pink, much to Sherlock's disdain).  Sherlock's father turned about towards the ashes of the fireplace before spinning back to him, declaring: "Your mother and I work hard to pay for your tutors, you have a gift but you choose to squander it!" Sherlock raised an eyebrow at his father. "Don't look at me like that! You are going to become a great politician and you are going to lead the Conservative party." His father stopped, admiring his plan for Richard in his mind. "From there, you will become the Prime Minister, the youngest this country has ever seen, oh what wonders you'll do!" Richard rolled his eyes, enough so his father could see but not enough to pull him out of his father's daydream. "Instead you waste your time with chemistry sets! I don't know what you see in that, there's really nothing in terms of jobs for you." His father threw the letter down. "Politics is what made this family great and you shall hold the name true!"

Richard attempted to formulate some kind of argument but his father wouldn't listen; "It's all your fault that you'll end up some deadbeat, not Mister Barrows, your mother or I but you alone!"
Once the verbal beating was over, his father took Sherlock to his room and then proceeded to destroy Sherlock's chemistry set and throw into the bin. Father said that Sherlock deserved it, but Richard was to never really forgive his dad for that day, no amount of Political studies could ever satisfy him and in the end, haunted by the shame of his son, was to later commit suicide shortly after Sherlock had begun work as an investigator.

Over the next year, until the age of 19, Sherlock would study chemistry as his primary subject, in secret, it enthralled him and he would often assemble elaborate apparatus in his bedroom, he even went so far as to steal the components required for this kit or piecing them together from makeshift glasses and other miscellaneous items, starting from small to quite advanced. Sherlock enjoyed studying the sulfurs of the chemical world; acid rain in particular fascinated Richard, the concept of acidic precipitation was truly inspired and although Sherlock had no religious faith, it was chemistry that gave him a new view of the world.  Sherlock would even retain his knowledge throughout his adult life and into the post-Black Mesa world.

--Apparatus--
Somewhere in The Romanian Mountains 2016
Richard: aged 35

The air was still, the sound of a trickling stream some twenty feet away gave Sherlock his guidance in the dark. The occasional synthetic growl in the darkness of the forest frightened Sherlock, sending him to the woodland floor to cower. Richard stumbled carefully through the dark, his eyes failing him in this place, his normal intellect was frayed and all over the place. Richard fell against the side of a tree as the roar of some Overwatch beast rumbled somewhere in the blackness. Sherlock was being hunted. It was the seventh day of travel, he had been split from his original band of refugees and was now alone in the woods. Alone and afraid, though he would never admit it, his ego wouldn't accept it. As the noise of Overwatch died away, most likely moving on to the next sector, Sherlock spied the faintest glimmer in between the trees; a light.

Richard spent the next hour crawling through the dark towards the light, as he drew closer it was revealed that there was a small cabin. Richard swung the door open and was greeted by several barrels trained on him in a moment. These were not however OTA, these were refugees like him. Sherlock made his intentions clear; he was not here to steal or kill or disrespect them in any way, after a nerve racking standoff, Sherlock was granted one night's accommodation. It was there he met Gerald, one of the refugees, he had a talent for science, like Sherlock once had. He showed Sherlock is methods and contraptions for making chemical apparatus out of ordinary items found within a city. Things like Breen cans, empty supplement jars, CWU gum and request devices all became things Sherlock could use to stick, make and hold all manner of apparatus. In the morning Sherlock bode a farewell to Gerald, keeping a note to remember the methods for when he finds a place to begin again.     

What will these authorizations give your character in regards to perks or defects?
Perks
-Will be able to create compounds and maybe even run some experiments

Defects
-Will have to always do it out of view of the CCA
-The apparatus will have to be replaced over time as it is made of makeshift materials
-Chemicals/substances will be incredibly difficult to find by scavenging

What do you plan to do with these perks/defects?
Create some interesting RP with all the fun of chemistry!

Will anyone else need these auths? (If so, list OOC and IC name(s))
N/A

Which server does this apply for?
City

Extra Notes (optional):
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 06:01:37 PM by The Doctor »

**Insert poorly made signature with fire, lens flares and obnoxious text**

Offline Zail

• Weird Gurl Nr.1
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Richard Sherlock's Authorization Application
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 06:37:42 PM »
Interesting authorization application, I must say.
I've yet to see an application, regarding chemistry. Yet, I've got no doubt it's also a bit of a hard one. Such as; where you would get the different required components. Such as; Nb, Co and Pt.
In my opinion you would have to have to search for quiet a while or have some special contacts to recieve these kind of components.
Neither the less, good background yet I kind a see some of it;
Then he read this and did this for some years and experimented.
He then met this man, who showed him this and then he could it.

I've got no doubts, that Doctor was intentionally doing this, but this is my view.
The effects and defects is calculated fine, seemingly there isn't bigger effects nor defects done by this passive application.
I've known Doctor for quiet a while and I doubt any, of those who knows him, doubts his role playing experience.
I would like to hear another admins opinion, but I myself, would gladly support this application. 

Offline Kom????k

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 01:34:06 AM »
My concerns are the same as stated by Challenge,

components/materials wouldn't be easy to scrap together, even come by.

As for the 'chemicals' themselves, it would be incredible difficult to find anything of worthwhile value to use with just a 'decent' knowledge of chemistry.

But you've shown that you can be trusted, so I doubt that you'd go overboard with this and such.

So I also support it, and would like to see what comes from this.

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 07:46:27 AM »
I accept fully that to get the required components may take days and perhaps weeks of play, I expect that and am actually looking forward to scavenging for the vital ingredients.   

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 10:47:00 AM »
A couple points from my end:

1. Your backstory was going awesome in the first paragraph (its bloody long, learn to break paragraphs please) however its like you got a sudden urge to be lazy and chop it off. Write another paragraph or two of his studying of chemistry. Maybe he did it secretly or maybe it interfered with his life. I dunno it just seems like it was cut off and needs more.

2. Other people mentioned the difficulty in locating certain chemicals. Industry has all kinds of chemicals stored in large amounts. If this character went on journeys into industrial areas, he might actually be able to stumble upon certain less common chemicals (another auth would be required for finding uncommon chemicals like radium or xeon).

Adding to 2, lots of chemicals in industry come in compounds so keep that in mind when finding some.

Other then that this auth seems to check out. Add to the backstory and I'll give you some support.

Offline Scratchie

• test
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 04:13:07 PM »
Bumping this. Want some more opinions on it. I know the RP would be done well, but on the application itsef.

Offline Scratchie

• test
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 03:37:19 AM »
Waiting on a reply to a PM I sent Statua about this. Should have an answer in a day or three.

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 12:37:21 PM »
Added more to the backstory; some details on how it disrupted his father's study schedule and a little prior knowledge on assembling makeshift kits from before meeting Gerald.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 03:47:31 PM »
Add "Difficult to find substances" to defects. When it comes to finding substances, please research them online and find out what location you must find in order to obtain these substances. Log these locations down in an IC chat.

Backstory is ok now. Not excellent, however not a fail so it passes. One more thing though. What IRL knowledge on chemistry do you have to support your IC knowledge?

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 04:27:26 PM »
While not much IRL, I am researching into exactly what I want to do with the specific chemicals I attempt to find.

Also added the defect.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 04:29:01 PM by The Doctor »

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 05:05:37 PM »
While not much IRL, I am researching into exactly what I want to do with the specific chemicals I attempt to find.

Also added the defect.
Explain what you mean by 'not much'. Do you know and are able to explain at least one of these three terms without searching: Ionic and Covalent Bonds, Activation Energy, or Organic Compounds.

Bonus: What is a Catalyst in terms of chemistry? (no google)

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 05:52:18 PM »

Also added the defect.
Explain what you mean by 'not much'. Do you know and are able to explain at least one of these three terms without searching: Ionic and Covalent Bonds, Activation Energy, or Organic Compounds.

Bonus: What is a Catalyst in terms of chemistry? (no google)

Organic Compounds- Mostly carbon based compounds
Bonus: A catalyst in chemistry terms is a substance that speeds up a chemical reaction, also known as an enzyme in biology. (Which is my preferred science.)

EDIT: Decided I'll only really need a basic knowledge for now, changing it.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 06:01:05 PM by The Doctor »

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 11:53:03 PM »
If you're good with Biology (I'm taking Anatomy And Physiology through college so I know... I also took up to Grade 12 chem)  then basic chem should be ok. You wont know much about chemicals and what they do and probably dont know many equations on how to figure out what they do, but if you know the basics then I support this now.

Offline FanaticWarren

• ElitistFag
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 12:21:25 AM »
I really like the back story behind this auth. I'm looking forward to seeing the RP that come's out of this. Also after reading what everyone else has said I can't really add much, All I can do is just agree.

+Support from me.

System Specs
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core processor @ 4.6 ghz
RAM: AMD Radeon™ RP1866 Performance Series 16GB
PSU: Ultra X4 750W
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked + PNY GTX 550 TI for physx core

Offline Kom????k

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 04:39:08 PM »
Alright, I'm quite satisfied with this application, and since many other admins have also Supported this:

Accepted,

Locked & moved.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal