Author Topic: Joanna 'Tragedy' Sinbow's Authorization Application  (Read 8473 times)

The Mysterious Stranger

Re: Joanna 'Tragedy' Sinbow's Authorization Application
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 06:28:23 PM »
It would take years in order to create a highly, working Artificial Intelligence unless you want it to work like a dumb one ofcourse. You want those AI holograms that appear on a small pad? Well, that's going to take a lot of advanced technology (which the humans don't got) and a large percentage of scientific intelligence and scientists in order to create one. The Combine have advanced technology but it would be very hard to hack into one with knowledge unless you have any sort of machine like the zapper that Alyx Vance uses. If you want the AI that is like a AI attached to a potatoe that talks and doesn't look like a hologram, well, I guess that could work out but mediumically (50 to 65 percent chance).

Offline Elions

• Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 06:43:58 PM »
It would take years in order to create a highly, working Artificial Intelligence unless you want it to work like a dumb one ofcourse. You want those AI holograms that appear on a small pad? Well, that's going to take a lot of advanced technology (which the humans don't got) and a large percentage of scientific intelligence and scientists in order to create one. The Combine have advanced technology but it would be very hard to hack into one with knowledge unless you have any sort of machine like the zapper that Alyx Vance uses. If you want the AI that is like a AI attached to a potatoe that talks and doesn't look like a hologram, well, I guess that could work out but mediumically (50 to 65 percent chance).

Not necesarily. As i stated before, Aperture science suffered of leakings of their scientific developments over and over again, thus we can theorize that it would be in fact easy for someone in the fields of science (both computer wise and in portal tech) to get ahold of their schematics and ideas. Considering in canon the AI's were created before the war, or even the black mesa incident, the ability to create an AI that was close to the level of personality and ability as those in Portal is not as low as 50% but more of around 80%, making it VERY likely there existed other AI's. And as for the advanced technology part, again i cite the fact that there was a very big time in between the incident and the war, and that there are some big "technological advancements" already in the Half Life world that make it more than plausible that they had the technology to create such a display and device. Point in case is the HEV suit for example, the Biogel, etc.

The Mysterious Stranger

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 12:26:42 AM »

Not necesarily. As i stated before, Aperture science suffered of leakings of their scientific developments over and over again, thus we can theorize that it would be in fact easy for someone in the fields of science (both computer wise and in portal tech) to get ahold of their schematics and ideas. Considering in canon the AI's were created before the war, or even the black mesa incident, the ability to create an AI that was close to the level of personality and ability as those in Portal is not as low as 50% but more of around 80%, making it VERY likely there existed other AI's. And as for the advanced technology part, again i cite the fact that there was a very big time in between the incident and the war, and that there are some big "technological advancements" already in the Half Life world that make it more than plausible that they had the technology to create such a display and device. Point in case is the HEV suit for example, the Biogel, etc.

The Half-Life icon called the "Hazardous Environmental Suit" had a dumb Artificial Intelligence attached to it which had very little emotion. If you want the better emotional one such as Cortana from Halo 3, then I don't think the Combine have the right combine for such a tool, although it could happen. Human technology is not advanced today as we know it so that makes it useless to create a Artificial Intelligence in 2016 or the prior storyline of Half-Life 2 since the Combine have been recently significantly slowing down the process of creating new human technologoy. The Halo franchise is a great example of what a Artificial Intelligence would be in 500 years from now. Examples in Halo includes Cortana, Serena, Auntie Dot, Guilty Spark 343, etc.

Offline Elions

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 12:59:30 AM »
The Half-Life icon called the "Hazardous Environmental Suit" had a dumb Artificial Intelligence attached to it which had very little emotion. If you want the better emotional one such as Cortana from Halo 3, then I don't think the Combine have the right combine for such a tool, although it could happen. Human technology is not advanced today as we know it so that makes it useless to create a Artificial Intelligence in 2016 or the prior storyline of Half-Life 2 since the Combine have been recently significantly slowing down the process of creating new human technologoy. The Halo franchise is a great example of what a Artificial Intelligence would be in 500 years from now. Examples in Halo includes Cortana, Serena, Auntie Dot, Guilty Spark 343, etc.

You're really stretching to put the subject of AI in question you know. Like i said, the AI's i'm referencing are in portal, not half life, or the HEV AI. The technology as i've already proven with the previous posts, we're not talking about the technology WE have, we're talking about what THEY had in the half life/portal universe. You can't say either that they're not connected since, as shown in EP2, they are in fact in the same universe, thus the AI's that exist in portal 2 and 1, which are quite advanced when it comes to actual feelings, ideas, interactions with humans and the rest, the comparison that you make to Halo and the years that separate it is honestly irrelevant, since it doesn't happen in the same universe nor does it actually entail what is possible in our existance at alll.

The Mysterious Stranger

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2012, 02:00:20 AM »

You're really stretching to put the subject of AI in question you know. Like i said, the AI's i'm referencing are in portal, not half life, or the HEV AI. The technology as i've already proven with the previous posts, we're not talking about the technology WE have, we're talking about what THEY had in the half life/portal universe. You can't say either that they're not connected since, as shown in EP2, they are in fact in the same universe, thus the AI's that exist in portal 2 and 1, which are quite advanced when it comes to actual feelings, ideas, interactions with humans and the rest, the comparison that you make to Halo and the years that separate it is honestly irrelevant, since it doesn't happen in the same universe nor does it actually entail what is possible in our existance at alll.

Oh, I get what you mean. Well then, that's that. (cough cubbage quote)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 02:02:01 AM by STALKER »

Offline Zail

• Weird Gurl Nr.1
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 07:36:50 PM »
So as far as I've understood and followed in this battle:

One: That, Ellions cannot interact with one of his own characters, as stated in the HL2RP rules:
http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=495.0, please read rule Nr. 24. :)

Yet again, this AI is in a way, not Ellions character, yet another imaginary character, which is not there visually, yet still there with contact.
A SA's point of view on this, was RTLK's. He said it was not auth'd since two character, but I ask to kindly review this point.

Two: The AI holographic technology did not exist.

That's not true, as Ellions himself already pointed out. A hologram, AI, is seen during the Half life training course, guiding the player through it. Therefore, this technology did actually exist and some of it, could of been saved during the destruction. I do not say how much was saved, I say that only a bit was.

In my opinion, I do not see any reason why to deny this, yet neither to accept it.
This application has been worked on for quiet a time, updated, re-written and the said player has changed quiet a few things, advised by other admins.
It would be nice, if any other admin would participate in this judgement again, so we can figure out a way to lay this.
If this is not possible and a longer discussions of why this is impossible or not, I would like to request a steam chat instead, so we could speak over it instead of those day long answers and questions.

If any appears to be supporting my idea, you may add me on steam and contact me. If you've already have me on steam, feel free to do the same.

Remember this: Now, where we do have much of this application stated, I only want to find a fair judge on this.

Offline Elions

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2012, 07:44:21 PM »
Thanks for pointing out some of the bigger issues in a more simple way, Challenge.

I wouldn't mind talking about this matter over a steamchat with other admins and once again defending my point if it takes on to that, you can get my steamID easily i believe through the forum already.

And just a thing for the record, my name only has one L :P

Offline Elions

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 03:08:44 PM »
I do not like pressuring when it comes to auths, but it has been 14 days, literally 2 weeks since this auth has been up, and i have responded and debunked all of the criticism as well as spoken personally to admins to clarify the matter of what and how the auth will go through, i think the ruling is way overdue at this point.

I'd just like confirmation on wether i can or can't do this, though i believe i have prooved it is more than possible for something like this to exist in the HL2 universe and have taken care of the story making sense for it as well.

Offline Zail

• Weird Gurl Nr.1
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 03:50:02 PM »
As Elions already stated, me and him had a nice steam talk, regarding his AI. I've got some of my questions answered and I can't come up with any for now. I'll go ahead and post it, if any of you would appear to have similiar questions.

03:22 - Elions: Hey Challenge
03:23 - Elions: The app's taking so long i figured i'd take you up on the steam chat idea
03:23 - Challenge of death sex<3: Yes, I read your reply on your app. :P
03:24 - Challenge of death sex<3: Personally, I think it's a fine idea and you're a capable person enough to handle it AND not abuse it.
03:24 - Elions: I take it you still have some doubts though :o
03:25 - Challenge of death sex<3: Still doubts a bit, yes. :)
03:25 - Challenge of death sex<3: But well, that's my job. :)
03:25 - Elions: Well, ask away and maybe i can answer most of it
03:25 - Challenge of death sex<3: To figure out the negatives and the positives, then figure out a correct way. :P
03:25 - Challenge of death sex<3: And currently; I'm blank considering it's 03:25 am at the current moment at me. xD
03:25 - Elions: Oh. woops
03:25 - Elions: Where do you even live? o_O?
03:25 - Challenge of death sex<3: Denmark. :)
03:26 - Elions: Oh that explains the massive time difference
03:26 - Challenge of death sex<3: Haha. xD
03:26 - Challenge of death sex<3: You? :P
03:26 - Elions: Chile
03:26 - Elions: The small country in south america, in case you don't know
03:27 - Challenge of death sex<3 grumbly grumbles.
03:27 - Challenge of death sex<3: I know the name, but can't place an exact location.
03:27 - Elions: The entire west coast of south america is basically chile
03:27 - Challenge of death sex<3: Ah.
03:27 - Elions: And a little bit of peru technically
03:27 - Challenge of death sex<3: Yes, that would be the difference. :P
03:28 - Elions: Any quick questions you want to ask me about the auth though?
03:29 - Challenge of death sex<3: Actually, I'm wondering what you would use the AI to, yet it's an inactive person so I guess most likely for passive rp and for just "speaking" to yourself.
03:29 - Elions: Well, mainly i'd use the AI for passive RP and for interactions with other characters, i'd also use it as a moral polar to Joanna, since she has basically turned into a neutral character
03:30 - Challenge of death sex<3: I see. Any direct rp you would do with said character?
03:30 - Elions: There's also dealing with computers and consulting the small database Darius has in him, since in the story i put he has "knowledge" of just about most things, but it's all in some way encrypted
03:31 - Elions: Like researching about a specific medical method or what not, basically an IC way to do things like looking up things on a wiki or what not, that's the easiest way i can describe it
03:32 - Elions: Obviously it would never give the ability to the character to do everything shown, but it would help give some idea of what they need to do, and who or what they might need to accomplish it
03:32 - Elions: Direct RP... I figure that would involve talking to Dr. Sharp for example, since he's the one in outlands that currently is best versed in electronics and what not
03:33 - Elions: Talking to other characters like Matthew or Beans is a strong possibility too. Since Jo wouldn't always have Darius with her, or so i figure
03:33 - Challenge of death sex<3: I see.
03:34 - Challenge of death sex<3: So basically your AI is some sort of search module, able to look up different knowledge, which has already been implanted in the device.
03:34 - Challenge of death sex<3: ?*
03:35 - Elions: Indeed, basically information it saved prior to the war, and obviously it would also be able to interact with a computer easier and faster than a human can
03:36 - Challenge of death sex<3: Interesting point of view. Now I do certainly hope, that this device does not contain EVERYTHING. :P At some points it must be "Blank" for knowledge. Considering CCA / combine technology and such in that category. :P
03:36 - Elions: indeed. I'd make it blank on stuff i know OTHER characters know, so there's a way to continue the RP situation or something like that, or i'd make it "Encrypted", making them have to work their way around it to fully understand it
03:37 - Elions: Basically, increase the difficulty of resolving the situation as it is necesary.
03:37 - Challenge of death sex<3: I see.
03:37 - Elions: It's not a deus ex machina, just a small aid that also makes things more interesting
03:38 - Challenge of death sex<3: Any plans for, what the device will contain for informations? :)
03:38 - Elions: Medical and Mechanical information, possibly historical too
03:38 - Elions: A bit of everything, but nothing complicated
03:39 - Challenge of death sex<3: Hmm.
03:39 - Elions: If i had to limit it, i'd go for Medical, Chemical and Historical
03:40 - Elions: With sparse knowledge at best of other fields
03:41 - Challenge of death sex<3: What I would think would be fair;
Medical knowledgement; Slightly above average, able to guide how to remove a bullet.
Mechanical knewlodgement; Mechanical device, duuuurh? :P
Chemical; Slightly, seeing it combined with medical knowledge.
Historical; Can be found in books, so most like a certain theme such as the european history / vikings / Britain and their cities.
03:43 - Elions: Could medical knowledge also include other stuff, such as treating poisoning or dealing with heavy infections?
03:44 - Elions: Historical related to Europe would be fine by me, considering Outlands and City are in europe after all
03:44 - Challenge of death sex<3: Poisoning up to a medium level I would assume, not one of those that kills within minutes, except if snake / spider bite I think. :)
Heave infections... Hmm... Depends on the situation and how much the infection have spread. :)
03:46 - Elions: Well, seems fine by me, since it compliments what my character already knows in character. The last question would be wether due to Darius being an Ai and thus an electronic device in itself, would i be able to use him for knowledge on how to deal with the repair or maintenance of certain devices? (to some extent obviously)
03:49 - Challenge of death sex<3: Some extent possible. I would say slightly car knowledgement and able to persist in the knowledge of radios and such.
If I could sort it by category;

Minor mechanical; Full knowledgement. (Radios, phones, etc.)
Medium mecahnical: Slightly less knowledgement. (Computers etc.)
Heavy mechanical: A few, not much. (Slightly car and etc, yet not that much so you can fully repair.)

Each of those should be discussed though. :)
03:49 - Elions: I'd be ok with those limits
03:49 - Elions: Seems fair, and like i said, i didn't expect this to be some sort of deus ex machina device
03:50 - Elions: So what should i do now? Wait untill someone can accept or deny it?
03:50 - Challenge of death sex<3: I'm not an SA, so I can't accept this, nor deny it. :c

You may of course, suggest other things or moderate it. Take some from and add something else, but it would be nice if we actually could get working on our auths apps. :)

Offline Zail

• Weird Gurl Nr.1
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 03:09:12 PM »
Alright, so now I'm wondering why some admins have something against a single player, having 2 characters to know each others.
I was sadly disappointed a lot when I found an appeal by a person.
This person wanted the character un-outlandiefied and what I saw; It was two characters in one. Earlier I had seen this weird character, who apparently was a robot. That's incredible, isn't it?
Two characters, who know each others and one of them is a robot. That's sadly new.

http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=19995.0

I am to apologise to Reaver, that I use his appeal for this statement, but it's a great one. I've got no offense towards Reaver's two characters, but I don't get why some people may not be treated equal.
Please -any SA- read those, would you mind?

Edit:
Apparently Reaver's "two" characters, was only one (a robot) controlled by his other character. I just misunderstood it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 05:12:23 PM by Challenge of death sex?3 »

Offline Scratchie

• test
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2012, 10:21:12 PM »
I was hesitant on reavers but he explained it and it was similar to how we do scanners (unit controlling it, not q separate character)

<::|| Sent from a mobile datapad codename Mecha ||::>

Offline Elions

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 12:41:30 AM »
I was hesitant on reavers but he explained it and it was similar to how we do scanners (unit controlling it, not q separate character)

<::|| Sent from a mobile datapad codename Mecha ||::>

Well, how i would control the character would basically be a /it while i'm playing as Joanna, when i say "separate character in it's own right" is that it would be a different personality from Joanna.

Offline Kom????k

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 01:41:58 AM »
Alright well, I certainly hope everyone has gotten thier concerns out of the way, and if so, I'd like to just accept this, and see how it all plays out. Obviously if it looks like it isn't going to work out, then it goes, and if it works it stays. Simple.

I'll wait a day or so for another admin to reply here before making a decision.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 11:08:14 AM »
The best way I see to go through with this would be:

-AI can solve math equations

-Provide information on earth's history

-Store information and logs (including photographs and video)

-Detect electronic disruptions such as radio communications, sonar pings, and satellite uplinks

-If one knows how to splice wires correctly of certain connectors or create converters, could access computer systems (though you stated she doesnt know how to use it fully and isnt familiar with tech)

Also, how does one charge it? Where did it get the information it already knows from? How durable is this cause when moving through the outlands, there's a high chance at tripping and falling on something, landing on said PDA.

Offline Elions

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2012, 12:14:18 PM »
The best way I see to go through with this would be:

-AI can solve math equations

-Provide information on earth's history

-Store information and logs (including photographs and video)

-Detect electronic disruptions such as radio communications, sonar pings, and satellite uplinks

-If one knows how to splice wires correctly of certain connectors or create converters, could access computer systems (though you stated she doesnt know how to use it fully and isnt familiar with tech)

Also, how does one charge it? Where did it get the information it already knows from? How durable is this cause when moving through the outlands, there's a high chance at tripping and falling on something, landing on said PDA.

I can solve those questions easily :D

"How does one charge it?"
As i stated in the auth, the man carrying the briefcase was carrying it with all the extra gizmos it would ever need (basically cables and a memory card). We all also know being in the outlands doesn't mean you don't have electricity, as there's a small generator ICLY in the inn and some parts of the old destroyed bunker still have electricity on them. Joanna would simply have to hook Darius up to one of these for a while or connect him to a computer.

"Where did it get the information it already knows from?"
As stated, Darius was 'invented' in the period between the black mesa incident and the war, thus he was not deprived of information sources that he was actively connected to like the internet and .pdf files of books. He stored all the information he was curious about and made notes on some, though with the invasion ocurring the doctor figured it would be best to encrypt some of the information, thus not all the information he has is completely readily available for people.

"How durable is this cause when moving through the outlands, there's a high chance at tripping and falling on something, landing on said PDA."
Let's look at this the following way. The doctor just invented a mobile AI, something that is by no means little, let alone simple, why would he risk it being destroyed by encasing it in something that was not sturdy? To put it bluntly, the doctor sacrificed the looks of the PDA for security and functionality, meaning the PDA is pretty sturdy, but the screen and hologram are not anything super-flashy. This means that the device in itself can sustain quite a bit of punishment, and is not out of the ordinary to try and repair him if someone has knowledge of electronics and mechanics.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal