Author Topic: Community feedback: Vortigaunt application  (Read 8530 times)

Offline raiden

• aussie legend
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Community feedback: Vortigaunt application
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 03:12:16 AM »
Is this a CCA app or a vortigaunt app, a bit much just for a vortigaunt.
There isn't a set limit for application formats, they can be however length as long as the questions are necessary.

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 03:20:16 AM »
Detail the advantages and limitations of Vortigaunt physical structure (2 paragraphs minimum).
State what is known about Vortigaunt culture (1 paragraph minimum).

Modified the format slightly.

And @penguin: The application length is fine as is. I believe every part of it serves a useful purpose, and I have no intention of shortening the application simply because it's slightly longer than its CCA counterpart.
o7

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 11:52:24 AM »
List two scenarios they must correctly solve. Like: "Youre walking down a sewer pipe and three refugees corner you. One with a shotgun and the two others with pistols. They threaten to kill you if you dont help them find items. What do you do?"

Offline wag1

• somalian dry
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 12:47:37 PM »
It's... It's nice Yankee. I like it. Only thing is people could easily Hl2wiki this shit, maybe do a quiz OOCly? (Via vent/steam)

I'm aware that people can simply use hl2wiki for the questions, but that's fine. Why? It forces those who don't already know the information to learn it and then further internalize it by putting it in their own words.

I guess, but what if they just look at it for quick answers, and forget their shit right away?

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
List two scenarios they must correctly solve. Like: "Youre walking down a sewer pipe and three refugees corner you. One with a shotgun and the two others with pistols. They threaten to kill you if you dont help them find items. What do you do?"

That's a good idea.

It's... It's nice Yankee. I like it. Only thing is people could easily Hl2wiki this shit, maybe do a quiz OOCly? (Via vent/steam)

I'm aware that people can simply use hl2wiki for the questions, but that's fine. Why? It forces those who don't already know the information to learn it and then further internalize it by putting it in their own words.

I guess, but what if they just look at it for quick answers, and forget their shit right away?

If they look at it for quick answers, that level of superficiality will hopefully show in their answers... And they will probably get in trouble later, because they'll likely screw up while playing on their Vort character. I wonder if it would be better to simply drop those questions entirely. But then, I still like them there as a simple check that at the very least they've been introduced to Vort canon... It's better to have those questions there than drop them entirely, is what I'm saying. Plus, the rest of the tasks, such as the write-a-scenario one and the solve-the-crisis one (which Statua suggested) should function to weed out undesirables.
o7

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 10:19:12 PM »
Sorry for the delayed update, I've been busy with stuff

So yeah, I took Statua's suggestion into account and added two "resolve this situation" tasks.

Now, if I can get 10 +supports for this application format, I'll get it made official. : D
o7

Offline Monkey with a gun

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 10:36:57 PM »
+Support

I've always wanted a offical vortigaunt application system, i never felt the authorization thread fit into the entire concepts of what a application for a vortigaunt should be.

Personally, i would consider vortigaunts to be held at a higher standard compared to most CCA units. Not only are you roleplaying a wise and respectable alien, but you are also respected by most new players in the community. (Especially if you plan on roleplaying a vortigaunt slave or free vortigaunt in the city)

Edit: Forget to mention this but, i would love to see a private vortigaunt board to be used for a possible "Knowlage bank" or a way for vortigaunt to communicate without needing to log onto the server or add each other on steam.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 10:42:59 PM by Monkey with a gun »

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 10:56:07 PM »
+Support

I've always wanted a offical vortigaunt application system, i never felt the authorization thread fit into the entire concepts of what a application for a vortigaunt should be.

Personally, i would consider vortigaunts to be held at a higher standard compared to most CCA units. Not only are you roleplaying a wise and respectable alien, but you are also respected by most new players in the community. (Especially if you plan on roleplaying a vortigaunt slave or free vortigaunt in the city)

Edit: Forget to mention this but, i would love to see a private vortigaunt board to be used for a possible "Knowlage bank" or a way for vortigaunt to communicate without needing to log onto the server or add each other on steam.

Thanks for the support Monkey, and yes- I guess I'll ask the webdev gods for a Vortigaunt board with a private section for a roster and some IC threads, especially an IC vortessence communication thingy
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 11:08:07 PM by YankeeSamurai »
o7

Offline Kom????k

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 11:04:55 PM »
Read the format, love it

+ Support

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 09:24:39 PM »
Read the format, love it

+ Support

Thanks for the support, this now has 2 supports out of 10 needed...
o7

Offline cookiesofamerica

• I'm the american cookie motherfucker!
  • VIP
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2011, 02:16:51 AM »
+Support I like  the new design and the layout, very formal.
I Am The Living Coookie!
C17.S4L.04.864 Does projects I guess
UU.OTA.VANGUARD.56294- Does OTA stuff I guess
Alexander Burton- prays in the outlands and is from the Eastern Orthodox church.
Calvin Dufresne- I have no idea what he does

NRK

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2011, 10:19:51 AM »
Although I'm a little bewildered why the Vortigaunts are getting so much attention as of late, it is at least adding RP into the servers. I would hope this would create better Vorts, which actually these guys tend to be good either way.  I don't believe this application necessary, but it is at least more uniform then before. Now what you guys need is more active Vorts. +support

Offline FPSRussia

• AUTISTIC FAGGOT WHORE
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2011, 11:12:16 AM »
Alright, it looks good and the questions are on tange.

+Support
hello my name is Ryan Fournier. I am known on the internet as autism, and I like to pretend I am a little boy named Jamie Laou, a Justin Bieber look alike. I am not 18, so don't listen to me when I say I am. I'm roughly 13 years old.

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2011, 05:15:40 PM »
Awesome you guys, thanks for all the support. 5 more to go.
o7

Offline Ghosteh

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2011, 09:08:17 PM »
I applied for a vortigaunt a long time ago, it'd be nicer to have an actual vortigaunt application rather than just authorization application, it's the exact same as any other faction, maybe making them a little more stricter to be accepted aswell.

Possibly add a question about them having experience before?

+ Support

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal