Author Topic: Is an SSD worth it?  (Read 3671 times)

Offline hogs

• [LOOC] Shane West: cash first.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Is an SSD worth it?
« on: February 29, 2012, 05:11:26 PM »
I'm getting my new PC next week and I'm planning on getting a single-state drive, is it worth the $110AUD I'm going to pay for a 60GB SSD? I'll be installing the 64 bit Windows 7 operating system on the SSD to increase the boot time. Should I do it?

Also, my new PC specs can be found here.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:13:20 PM by hogs :D »

Offline wakeboarderCWB

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Is an SSD worth it?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 05:12:33 PM »
If you're just booting Windows on it, then I'd go for it. They're still too expensive for regular storage, in my opinion.

Also, moved to Support and Help.

Offline Technical Abbreviations

• Acolyte Of The Carp God Baby
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 05:25:41 PM »
Not particularly. Send you computer into hibernation instead of off, and you wont need to spend all that money for a boot drive, and any other uses... Well not really cost effective
Spoiler for :D:
\\r\\nWe live in the explosion of a bomb that has not yet finished exploding. You and everything you love are debris. Have a good day ^_^\\\'\\\'\\r\\nJiggerFrizz: Who is talking?\\r\\nJiggerFrizz: They sound hot\\r\\nJiggerFrizz: The background\\r\\nDegtyarev: They are 11 :l

Offline alaskan thunderfuck

• Owner
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 07:40:20 PM »
If you've got the money it is really, really nice to have just make sure you go with something reliable like intel as I've gone through 3 or 4 of them
Please don't PM me regarding bans or anything having to do with in-game situations. Only PM me if you've been told I am the only one who can solve your issue.

Offline hogs

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 12:50:14 AM »
If you've got the money it is really, really nice to have just make sure you go with something reliable like intel as I've gone through 3 or 4 of them

Intel's stuff is overpriced as fuck.

Corsair Force SATA3 Series 60GB 2.5 SSD - $110.00
compared to
Intel 520 series 60GB SSD - $152.00

And I don't even think the 520 is SATA3.

• Owner
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 03:35:30 AM »
I had a corsair force 3 which died on me in a couple of months, they've got really bad support which took 4 days to respond to me(never bothered sending it back, cba)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 04:57:53 AM by RoflWaffle »
Please don't PM me regarding bans or anything having to do with in-game situations. Only PM me if you've been told I am the only one who can solve your issue.

Offline hogs

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 05:11:24 AM »
I had a corsair force 3 which died on me in a couple of months, they've got really bad support which took 4 days to respond to me(never bothered sending it back, cba)

I see. I'm assuming you're using an Intel SSD now? What type and how many gigabytes?

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 05:22:56 AM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167050
It isn't as fast as the force 3 was when it actually worked, but windows boot up is only like 10 seconds and you generally can use programs right away without having to wait

Offline hogs

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 05:44:54 AM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167050
It isn't as fast as the force 3 was when it actually worked, but windows boot up is only like 10 seconds and you generally can use programs right away without having to wait

with a life expectancy of 1.2 million hours mean time between failures

It looks good but it's $250AUD; a ridiculous price for a SATA2 SSD, plus they are out of stock of them at the store I'm buying them from.  Have you used a Kingston SSD before? $90AUD for 60GBS (even though SATA2.5) which is what I'm after. What's your opinion on them?
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=159&bid=5&sid=82554

Also I am on a budget for my PC which is why I don't want to pay so much for just an SSD. I'm over my budget by about $50 and I'm willing to go over to about $100-200AUD
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 05:52:50 AM by hogs :D »

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 06:02:05 AM »
I've actually never tried anything by kingston but I've only heard good so you should be fine

Offline hogs

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 06:19:44 AM »
All right, thanks for your help.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal