Author Topic: Dr. Chloe Shefield's Authorization Application  (Read 8367 times)

Offline Thor ?? ??¢ ??? ?² ?©

• Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Dr. Chloe Shefield's Authorization Application
« on: February 13, 2012, 09:27:45 PM »
Player Section

Steam Name: Thor ? ? ? ²
How long have you been Roleplaying? (can be any game): 3-4 years
How long have you been playing Serious GMod RP?: 1 1/2 - 2 years

Character Section

Authorization(s):
"Custom" jumpsuit and backpack (Just in the physical description)
Title of Doctor (In the name)
'Advanced' electronics (The PDA works, but the holo-computer may be broken, and may require a new fuel cell)
Good knowledge in electronic devices/circuits and their repairs (including computers and other common devices)
Good knowledge in Astronomy

Name: Dr. Chloe Shefield
Affiliation: None

Write a detailed in-canon back-story how your character obtained these authorizations.
[STARDATE 11.04.2555] (November 4th, 2555)
   I awake to the sound of a buzzer, the intercom buzzer it appears. "Doctor Shefield, are you in there?" I stumble out of bed and switch on the lights. I forgot how ugly and undecorated my room was. It was a plain metal wall with the standard supplies; one couch, one bed, one dresser. I make my way to the door to inspect who it is disturbing me, and it is just a Violet Personnel. "What do you want, Violet? Why are you disturbing me this ea-" I glance at the clock to check the time. 900 hours, did I really sleep in? "Sorry to have disturbed you ma'am, but the Directors wish to see you in Briefing Hall 02." the Violet says. "I see, thank you." I reply, still half asleep. I quickly get dressed, and I get a glance out of my viewport. God, Sagittarius A* is so beautiful. I sometimes miss the days when this place was new and somewhat unknown. A* is the central 'anchor' point for the Intra-System Gate Network. Shame the Gates blew up half the galaxy so many years ago. I finished getting in my standard uniform and make my way out into the hall. "Attention all new BLUE class personnel. Please report to SECTOR G for updated information regarding 05-BLUE-SUPPLEMENT." the overhead intercom booms. The hallway was pretty empty, as this is only for residential rooms and it was already so late. I head on towards the inter-station transit, weaving my way from hall to hall. This sector is a damned maze, make one wrong turn and you might get trapped. I wonder if my maintenance request to fix the holographic markers went through. I get to the station platform and sit down. Glancing at both the clock and the timetable noticing that it is now 9:15 and the next train will arrive in 5 minutes. The intercom chimes on, "Doctor Shefield, please dial extension 945 at the nearest phone." I sigh in disappointment, as clearly my tardiness is not tolerated. Not like anyone cares about my needs of sleep. I make my way to the phone booth on the station wall, and dial. "Doctor, where the hell have you been? Why did you ignore your 800 hour briefing? The Directors are not happy about this." I recognize the voice of being Sam's; He was always blunt and to the point, skipping all formalities.  "Sorry, I overslept. I am on my way to Sector A now." I speak into the receiver. "You better be, your recent hypothesis has made the Directors very interested in your little back-water lab. I was impressed too, but I always am. This is big, and you fucking missed your briefing? Do you know the last time something this huge caught the attention of the Directors?" Sam says. "I'm surprised they even noticed, considering most other Researching of my level think I am insane." "Don't worry Shefield, you are insane. We all are. Consider the fact that we have spent the last 400 years or so in Cryo." I hear the train down the tunnel, nearing the station platform. "I gotta go, my train is here." I tell Sam. "Fine, get your ass to room A100 as fast as you can. Don't make the Directors think poorly of you." he replies, and then the connection is disconnected. I board the train as the doors slide open and take a seat. Something feels, off. The train is completely empty. Normally Violets would be all over running around and whatever they do, but there is no one in sight. Now that I think about it, I have hardly seen anyone since I left my room. The train jets forward and the Automated System states "Destination: Sector A. ETA: two minutes." Strange, I am in sector E and normally it has to go through all of the sectors. Maybe the Directors bypassed this train, or maybe Sam did. I hear a beep from my backpack and investigate. My PDA tells me I have a message from Jynx. Why is my lab's AI messaging me? I read the message. "Doctor, results have come in from the last experiment. The probe reports are alarming. If you like I can forward the results to your PDA, or you can come in and see for yourself." I didn't expect the probe to be done already. The train arrives at Sector A and I quickly jump off and jog down the halls; Still no one to be seen. I swipe my ID on the door for A100 and head in. The lights are off, and the room is pitch-black. I feel my way to a seat and sit down. "You are late, Chloe Shefield. We were expecting to hear from you at 800, but it appears as though you overslept." the voice pauses. I sit in silence, not daring to speak. "Your team has been doing some rather impressive things, and it appears as though you found something that you claim, and I quote 'Explains the cause for the Eternal Darkness and is too important to ignore'. Well here we are, please enlighten us in what you believe caused the Eternal Darkness missy." I start shaking, and start to slowly speak up. "Well, uh, my team has been sending probes to what remains of the System SA-GG06-A, and the reports are surprising. A large anomaly has been located in and between the remnants of the Scutum-Centaurus Arm and the Norma Arm. The probe attempted to provide a date on how old this rift is, and it was estimated to be 399 years old. That was around the same time the Eternal Darkness occurred. Upon further examination, we noticed that the two events were linked together. The rift was caused by the super novas from the gates. We have sent another, more powerful probe nearby and it just sent in its results. It appears as though the rift leaks into another, alternate universe. The chance that something like this can happen is very rare, as it requires a singularity to be linking the two universes. Ours was easy, the Gate's that were active linked into a single point, creating one. We cannot be certain as to what the other Universe's was, but we believe it to be a Resonance Cascade.  A Mini-probe was sent through the rift, to see if it is traversable. It survived around 15.06 seconds and sent back a terabyte of telemetry. I had Jynx run simulations, and the universe has the exact same laws as ours, and is completely survivable. The scary part is that the alternate universe is a near carbon-copy of ours. The rift spit the probe out in the Sol system, near L2. It was only 1.5 million km away from Earth. It couldn't get very much information, but there appear to be life forms on the planet." "I see, so you mean to tell me there is another universe, almost exactly like this, and ours are linked? How does the rift interact with ours and theirs? Does it emit any radiation, why did the probe not last long, and can we send ships through the rift safely?" the voice asks. "Well, the rift appears to be stable on their side, and not very large. A shuttle or maybe a Frigate vessel could survive. The probe didn't last long not due to transit issues, but rather we lost connection to it. Our rift is not very stable, and the mother-probe could not ma-" my PDA emits a beep. "Excuse me; I need to see what the message says." I tell the Directors. "Go ahead." I check the message, and it is from Jynx again. It says "Doctor, the probe has reestablished contact with the other side of the rift. It appears as though our rift can retain contact every 28 hours for only 2 hours, creating a 30-hour cycle. I have named this cycle the Shefield cycle after you. The probe as sent us more data on the alternate earth. It appears as though there are large cities on the surface, but we cannot get a closer look without bringing in a dedicated telescope. Biomass scans indicated that there are humans on the planet, but less than 1 billion. There are also other, unknown to us, organisms." I read the message out loud to the Directors, and await their response. "What about technology? Does this other Earth have satellites and what not?" "We cannot be certain, but they do not have anything near the L2 point. Satellites are very small and hard to pick up. We could send in a more powerful probe and run some tes-" I start to say, but get cut off by the Directors. "We have another idea. Let's send someone to this other earth as an ambassador from Noxis. They might not be as advanced as ours, not to mention the potential resources and profit we could gain from a partnership. Send a shuttle with a monkey first to make sure that life can survive." "That's... Alright, we can do that." "Meeting dismissed." I get up and make my way out of the room. I head to the nearest train station. I better go to the lab and inform them of what the Directors instructed.
[STARDATE 11.06.2555]
   We sent a monkey through on a shuttle, and determined that a human can and will survive. We decided to tow a gate to the rift, to stabilize our side. It worked, but it is one way for now. Additional small-scale telecommunication satellites have been put right outside the exit point, and are monitoring any signals coming from the planet. The strange part is, there are only a few. There is a radio signal bearing the mark of a high-powered FM radio broadcast. It is a guy talking, but the words cannot be made out. I suppose these humans have different radio technology and I ordered Jynx to try and fix the signal so we can understand it. The 30 hour cycle has been modified since our side is now stable. We can now communicate with the other side every two hours for a total of 12 times per day. We start the first at midnight, to retain a day. Jynx does all the broadcasting for us. Our lab was locked down to only allow access to Greens and above. It's a little emptier now, but it was no problem. So far, this has been kept a secret to the rest of the station. My team was forced to agree to a NDA. I have to get back to work, as we have a tight schedule.
[STARDATE 11.10.2555]
   We decided who will go through the rift and explore the new Earth. They picked me, or rather, the Directors demanded it was me. About time I got some recognition. I depart for the Rift in ten hours. I was given a new jumpsuit and a whole list of things to pack. They gave me a new experimental backpack that taps into the 4th dimension for increased storage space, which also acts as a spot to hide items, a new PDA, and holo-computer for my trip. The new backpack is similar to the standard, but with a built in antenna and the stylized Noxis 'N' logo on it. I think it looks cool. They also gave me a new T3 shuttle, hot off the assembly line. It was slightly modified to survive the stress of gate and rift travel, but it will do. I better get some sleep.
[STARDATE 11.11.2555]
   I left CA at 1200 hours for a four hour flight to the rift. I was ordered to not transit through before establishing a link with CA, directly with my team while the Directors listen in. The last part surprised me. The Directors are really taking an interest in this expedition. It is the first of its kind, and I was promoted to Red. I like the new title but there really weren't any other benefits. I was told to expect that I might not make it back, so a backup clone has been made of me at the station. My new jumpsuit has a million and one sensors on me, all linked to the new Shefield Satellite constellation, the first of ours in an alternate universe. I am going to sleep until I get to the rift, as I have had little sleep in the past two days.
[...]
   I just arrived at the rift gate. I ordered the shuttle to dial CA, and I was just received. "You are on time, Shefield. Now, how are you feeling?" the voice was from someone on my team, but I don't remember his name. "I am alright, let's get right to the checklist and get this operation on the roll." I tell him.  "As you wish, your shuttle is stocked with a month of rations, and we are going to start towing gate parts to the other side so that you can come back if something happens. You are planned to be in there for three months, as long as the local residences can handle it. I suggest landing the shuttle in a secluded place and hiding it. They might not take kindly to spaceships and space women coming from another place. Assuming they do not speak English, we packed an automated translator in your kit. Just place the patch on your throat and let it record the language, then it will translate your voice into their language. Your PDA and other electronics can be charged from your backpack, as it has a mini Mark II reactor and has some Thermal PVs just in case. The antenna on your backpack is small and powerful, and can link you to a satellite in orbit of that Earth. The shuttle has one small telecoms relay. The backpack can send voice data and binary data encrypted using 1024bit NSE encryption. It should work without any manual configuration. Once you get through, head straight for L1 and wait there. As you pass by the planet, do not go any closer than HEO, as they might spot the shuttle. Await further instructions after connecting to our network from L1. Good luck to you, and may you survive." The man said, and then the connection was disabled. I point the shuttle to transit the gate, and brace myself for the trip.
[...]
   While to me the transit was nearly instant, I believe a day has passed. The atomic clock on board still dates today, but my PDA which tried to connect to the SSC reports tomorrow. I enabled auto pilot and told it to head to the L1 point. ETA is two minutes, as I am operating at half-thrust. Full will make me as noticeable as a bright star, and the fact that I am moving will alert any potential observers. It feels weird, knowing that Earth, our Earth, doesn't exist anymore. The fact that I can see it, and it looks just like the holo-films is freaky. It is so pretty, a blue marble as an ancient astronaut once said. The shuttle dinged as it completed the flight. I dial for the SCC and make a connection. "I have arrived at L1." "Good, now launch the mini-comms into orbit, make it a stable orbit in the HEO range, I suggest an entry angle of 112 degrees. It will even out and create a near circular orbit." I input the data and instructions into the shuttle, and it starts to orient itself. "Alright preparing to launch sat" I say. The shuttle counts down from ten and then launches the satellite. "The sat is away. It will be operational in a few hours. Where should I land, or should I wait for it to be operational?" I ask. "Go on and he-d o-t -t-- **********" The connection is lost. We passed the two hour mark, and now I must wait before being able to contact them again. They said go on and head to, or something along those lines. I wonder wher- An alarm goes off. The SSC just noticed another rift in the Sol system. It doesn't link to our universe, but another. Damn, what is going on? Three rifts all indirectly connected. This universe is pretty unlucky. I thought ours sucked considering that half of our galaxy exploded, but this one takes the cake. I sit and start drawing, waiting for the next chance to contact CA.
[...]
   I regained contact, and told them about the other rift. They told me to ignore it and focus on interaction with the locals. The SSC dated the other rift to be as old as ours, but the other rift has had much more traffic than ours. Is there another group of people, or maybe aliens, that have advanced technology? Hell, it has to be possible. Out of the infinite universes possible, it most likely happened. I wonder if the alien life forms detected on this Earth are from that rift. They probably are. "Shefield, we found a place for you to land. It is right outside what looks like a city. There will be plenty of cover for you, and you should be within a day's distance of a city. Remember to blend in as well as you can. I sent the coordinates to the shuttle." the voice tells me. So, this is really going to happen. "Alright, what do I do after I land? Besides hiding the shuttle... Do I just walk up and observe the city?" I ask. "Pretty much, we have no idea what they are like. You could send a recon drone to the city, but it might be spotted. At that point it is your call. All we ask is you report in once a day if possible, at least once every three. Remember to always wear your tracking beacons lest you get lost. If you suffer extreme damage and are determined to be dead, we will detonate the shuttle, and your body. Your clone will be revived and you will be back at CA in a jiffy. Remember Chloe, be safe." the voice states, then disconnects. I tell the shuttle to land at the place provided and sit back.
   "WARNING, WARNING! Shuttle damaged! Engines OFFLINE. Brace, Brace!" the shuttle's PA screams out. It appears as though the shuttle hit something in orbit of the planet, and I am now unable to control my decent. I was going to check the console and see where I should land, but the shuttle lost power. Red emergency lights turn on. Now is a good enough time as any to get in the emergency pod. This pod should protect me from a high-velocity impact, but it's a new tech and has yet to be tested. I grab my stuff, and as much food as I can and stuff it into my back pack. I get in the pod, seal it up, and turn it on. "Pod Stabilized, please remain calm. In the event of a Pod Failure, you will be notified." the pod states. I will be notified in the event of a failure, what a joke! I think I would know if it fails. The shuttle starts entering the atmosphere, as I can hear the shuttle burning away slowly. It only takes a short amount of time for the shuttle to break apart, but the pod is holding up. I can see the city from here, god way to make a big entry! A giant flame-ball falling from the sky is not stealthy at all. I still do not know what the shuttle hit. I brace for impact as the pod nears the ground.
[...]    
   I awake inside the pod, and notice my leg is bleeding. I open the pod, and attempt to stumble out. I seem to have a limp as a result; maybe it will go away after a day or so. I look around and see I am in a forest. The pod is in a small crater, and I do not see any bits of my shuttle around me. What way was the city, and more importantly, how long was I out? I check the contents of my backpack, and note that everything is in order. I pull out my PDA and it informs me that the city is due east. I guess I can start heading that way and see what happens.
[...]
   I followed that direction, and I am not in a city but I found this road and started following it. I guess they are at least in the 21st century, as they have roads. It's very quiet, and I have yet to see anyone. I think I have been walking for two or three hours. I see this dark tunnel ahead, so I will start heading down it. I haven't bothered to check and see if my equipment in my backpack has survived. The compartment containing my electronics has been locked in the 4th dimension, and I need more power to open it. Well, I better stop writing this Diary and head down this tunnel. I will keep writing after and record my journeys. May the Gods help me.
[END OF DIARY]

What will these authorizations give your character in regards to perks or defects?
Perks
* Can repair most electronic devices if the proper materials are provided.
* Snazzy jumpsuit (if it counts :V).
* Contact with Noxis Corporation via SSC (Shefield Satellite Constellation) (Also a defect).
* A few advanced devices (Backpack, PDA, holo-computer) (Also a defect).

Defects
* Dr. Shefield must make contact at least once every three days, at most once every four or she faces the threat of remote detonation. (Small "seed-bomb" inside of her body)
* Devices require good deal of power, and their batteries do not last long. In addition the holo-computer may have suffered damage from the crash, making it useless without repairs. (Her backpack already has too low power to access her devices, and the mini-reactor and thermal PVs are contained inside.. Bad choice by her much?)
* Has the fate of another universe in her hands (Can be explained if needed.)
* Shefield's personality can cause tensions with others due to narcissistic, self-obsession and other psychological disorders as a result of living semi-isolated for 400 years (in cryo stasis).
* Has no idea of this Earth's history, current conditions, the Combine, or any threats on this world that are not from Earth.

What do you plan to do with these perks/defects?
I plan to introduce some rather interesting roleplay. A strange women with different social customs comes from another universe that is a near carbon copy of this one. She possesses with her possible technological revolutions, but she also has a high chance of death. She is walking into a world of chaos and hell blind, and completely oblivious to all the danger lurking in the shadows. She comes with great stories of a once-great empire, and much more.

Will anyone else need these auths? (If so, list OOC and IC name(s))
None

Which server does this apply for?
Outlands

Extra Notes (optional):
If you would like some more information on anything in the story regarding Noxis, or anything else just let me know and I can write some up.

Offline Tyler

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Dr. Chloe Shefield's Authorization Application
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 11:34:44 PM »
Very unique idea, but I would like clarification on some things if you will.

1) Currently, our year is  right around 2017, give or take few years. Could you adapt your character to fit this time in our canon?
(As a note to the above, I have a feeling you mean 2555 as the year of your characters home planet, please clarify.)

2) Based on the assumption of her being an alien life form (alien to human anyways), does she look any different from a human being?

3) Please provide some information about where she is from, what it is like there, information on technology there, ect. Anything and everything is good to know.

4) What interaction has her home world had with the Combine, if any?

Thanks, also, please note that the above questions do not mean this will be accepted- they are simply questions that would need to be answered before it could be considered, if it's not too far fetched.

UU.OTA-VANGUARD.6.94250 | Online (THETA.EOW)
C45.CCA.CLASSIFIED.326 | In Service (VOID-DvL.326)
C45.CCA.APEX-01.199 | In Service
Dr. Wolfgang Metzger | Dead | Shot after throwing a Breen bust at the SeC.

9:19 PM - Brandon: I'll donate more later, It's just my mother is a dumb face
9:19 PM - RoflWaffle - fuck off please: i'm an idiot for assuming things her

9:22 PM - Lord Bravery: Brandon
9:22 PM - Lord Bravery: have sex with m

• Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 06:25:53 AM »
Very unique idea, but I would like clarification on some things if you will.

1) Currently, our year is  right around 2017, give or take few years. Could you adapt your character to fit this time in our canon?
(As a note to the above, I have a feeling you mean 2555 as the year of your characters home planet, please clarify.)
Yes, in her universe the current year is 2555 A.D.  The reason for the year difference, is not completely understood by Noxis at this point. When it was 2000 in this universe (not exactly dated, so let's use 2000) the Resonance Cascade happened. The rift in the Noxis Universe was open much longer (~300 years or more longer). They currently believe that no universe around theirs had any events causing a tear, which led to the rift looping back in on itself; but when this universe had the Resonance Cascade, there was an opportunity for their universe to connect. The odds of the two universes being close enough for the link to occur, and the odds that both had events that caused it are rare. This is the primary reason of Dr. Shefield's visit, to investigate what this universe is like, how different/similar it is to theirs, and gain other knowledge.

2) Based on the assumption of her being an alien life form (alien to human anyways), does she look any different from a human being?
She is identical to a human being, as in her universe Humans expanded from the stars (with major help of Noxis) around 2075.

3) Please provide some information about where she is from, what it is like there, information on technology there, ect. Anything and everything is good to know.
Her official birthplace is not known (she thinks she came originally from Earth but only the Directors know if she was one of the originals or a clone), but there is a high chance the majority of the humans currently residing on the CA station are in fact clones of the ones that were born on Earth, however they do not know this. The CA station is a massive Noxis Built station orbiting Sagittarius A*. There are a couple reasons for it's rather strange locations. The first being that the black hole their is an anchor point for their Gate network. (Following the discovery of a strange new type of particle in Jupiter, Gates were developed over a period of 25 years.) The station is around the size of a small asteroid, and was built mainly by robots. It took around 300 years to complete (In the mean time all of the Noxis Employees were either in Cryo Stasis or cloned once it was finished.) Noxis has some advanced technology in certain fields, but has very low tech in others. In the fields of Inter/Intra Space Dynamics, Physics, Most medical fields, some FTL communication/travel (Communication using entanglement and travel being FuseWarp and Gate travel)  and propulsion along with some more advanced forms of life support systems and artificial gravity. They are getting closer to discovering Blue Space energy (Zero Point Energy) but are currently unable to do so. They have very little weaponry past the 21st century as Noxis never developed weapons (There was no need, they never found alien lifeforms while they were expanding, and during their reign humans were united.)
4) What interaction has her home world had with the Combine, if any?
They currently have never encountered the Combine, as they currently have one known rift. However I have included a recent document from an unknown source regarding a possible second rift.

An attached note says "We have found new evidence in space-time disruptions on a massive scale between the Core, and ASA space."
Thanks, also, please note that the above questions do not mean this will be accepted- they are simply questions that would need to be answered before it could be considered, if it's not too far fetched.

Spoiler for Hiden:
=====Introduction and Beginning=====
The Noxis Corporation terraformed the majority of the initial habitable sectors of the solar system. They started out on earth as a small company, one that's aim was toward the stars. They officially started in May 3rd, 2015; this was just a research firm however. The Noxis that started the colonization era truly started near 2035. Up until this point they were researching countless new technologies; most of them, as expected, to do with the colonization of space. There were advances in other fields too, such as teleportation, quantum flux particle harvesting (a term coined by Noxis themselves), and advanced weapon systems. The ball started rolling when they bought out OxyGen, who was the leading Oxygen and LOX supplier in the world. They soon refitted all of their newly acquired facilities with the secret technology which, compared to all of the other companies, was decades above it's time. They even had a project, officially called "Matter Transmission and Reshapeafication", but within the research branch it was simple called "The Creator". This project would allow them to take any matter, from anywhere in this universe, and convert it into any other matter. Quickly after the first tests, the project was shut down; for you see, it not only took away atoms, but also chucks of time and space, leaving a hellish black hole. They quickly got to work on attempting to fix this horrid mistake, and they gave up on the whole idea of this. Meanwhile, the teleportation teams successfully teleported small mammals across the globe.
=====The Beginning of the Colonization Era=====
Soon after they bought OxyGen, Noxis became the seller of 70% of all oxygen sales in 2036, and 100% of all oxygen sales in 2040. They saw profits that were higher than the combined budgets of all the governments of earth. They began a civilian colonization era, and with their new fusion powered propulsion systems called the "FuseWarp", travel was changed completely. No one is sure how it works, as it was a closely guarded secret, but all that is known is that it turns 1 month of travel into 1 minute. Scaled down versions for travel shorter also were in production, which were nicknamed "Micro-Fuses". They were the starters of colonies all across Sol. By the year 2050, every planet, except Uranus as it had no useful resources, had some form of human civilization on, or in orbit of it. Jupiter was the focus of all of the gas giants, as it contained a strange element previously unknown to mankind. It exhibited the ability to control the mass of ships unlike any other. It was impossible to recreate it in a lab, and it only existed in Jupiter.
=====The First Gates=====
No one knew where it came from or how it was created. Noxis quickly jumped up and bought out any company who dared to research this new element. It took 25 years, but they found a way to make a 'gate' type structure in which ships could pass through and appear instantly on the other side. This creation came with disadvantages too. The way the gate worked is that the nearest 3 systems could not be gated too. Noxis researchers claimed that when the gates were closer than this, they created an unstable wormhole and instantly vaporized anything that entered and even took out the gate in a huge explosion. This took out about 67% of all solar systems in the galaxy, but this didn't stop the expansion.
=====The Age of Galactic Colonization=====
It was a brand new age of exploration and colonization, the year being 2075; Noxis was so powerful at this point that they were the only thing
that governed the people. There was no form of government other than Noxis. Every human was perfectly happy with this. It seemed like Noxis had become the most powerful entity in the galaxy, but something happened. In the dawn of the 31st century, humanity had colonized every system they could - keeping in mind the 3 system spacing rule - but an event happened that was only known as the "Eternal Darkness", which was dated around 2156.
=====The Eternal Darkness=====
The causes are completely unknown, but suddenly all of the gates linked back to each other. This cut of every system from each other, as the "FuseWarp" drives could not safely cross the region between systems. At first it wasn't bad, but soon the gates would become so unstable that they emitted massive amounts of Gamma Rays and would explode in a supernova fashioned explosion. This was a chain reaction, and it nearly destroyed the entire galaxy. Luckily, the Orion-Cygnus, Carina-Sagittarius, and Norma/Outer arms of the galaxy shut down their gates in time before the chain reactions hit them. This still left all of the systems isolated.
=====The Great Isolation=====
Sol had been completely depleted of its resources, and was deemed uninhabitable and left. The gate was completely dismantled. Out of the hundreds of systems that were colonized, only 4 survived with their own support, while the others died out. The gates were left in disarray. These were the only 4 solar systems - not far from each other - that still harbored human life in the year 2281. Two of the systems found the old gates and mistakenly turned them back on, which triggered the same effect before - but as these were the only two gates online, it didn't destroy every system, just those two - and were wiped out.
=====Noxis's fate=====
Noxis had all but vanished at this point. However, the secret branch of CA08 set up a permanent station in the middle of the galaxy around the year 2135. This station was massive; it dwarfed the size of Pluto. This station was mostly empty, for it was a backup plan in case the worst happened. It was a cryogenic storage station, and it cryogenically froze all of the important Noxis members. These members were left in a deep sleep while the chaos of the galaxy happened.
=====A New Beginning=====
Over 420 years passed, with the two systems developing their own cultures and technologies. They soon found the gates, but never used them and put them up as a warning sign of what huge mega-corps could do to humanity. Despite this, Nanotrasen came into existence. Nanotrasen was known to all, but had many enemies. Almost everyone forgot what Noxis was, since the old gates never had the name Noxis on them. No one ever found the CA08 Station either. Around 2549, the station suddenly woke up. It was well over the 200 year set time limit. The Fusion reactor had failed at that mark, and the station ran on backup power. But by 2548, the power was failing. The automated system woke up everyone in stasis and they woke up confused. But what the public did not know is that every gate had a remote connection to the station, and the gates acted as a huge spy satellite network. The commanding officers saw that humanity was nearly wiped out, and was now 'owned' by Nanotrasen. They were furious. Not because Nanotrasen existed, not even because Nanotrasen was the highest power, but because they didn't suffer the exile Noxis did. Noxis fixed the power issues in their station, and used it to live and plan. They
still had all of their old files, all the way from the beginning. They planned a shadow government system, which mirrored Nanotrasen's system. Lucky for them their medical doctors found a way to make genetically perfect human beings, along with cloning. Death was no longer a fear for Noxis. With their advanced brain implants, and vastly intelligent AI systems, they found a way to open the old gates covertly and close them before they were spotted and before the reaction took place.
=====The current time=====
With this new ability, Noxis has the sole goal to terrorize any and every part of Nanotrasen. They covertly sent in agents to their stations using their improved shuttle designs. The shuttles go through the disembarkation gate at the CA08 Station, and enter the target system. With the new drives that were invented - which were required since most of Humanity's new solar systems were located in systems without gates - the vast distances between solar systems became easy to cross in mere seconds. To this day there are millions of Noxis Agents out in the field, collecting not only data, but slowly working towards bringing Nanotrasen down. Their ways are covert, and their methods are secretive. They even take out a target and disguise themselves as said target, to gain more access to the world of Nanotrasen. Their main targets are CentComm stations, and CentComm funded stations. With nearly unlimited resources and time, Noxis will not stop their campaign until Nanotrasen is brought down, and humanity is once again controlled by Noxis.
I have included a (WIP) history regarding Noxis to provide you with insight, however it only includes one faction (NanoTrasen). (In addition the history needs some rewriting to take into account other things that have changed, and I haven't done so yet.) There is another faction that has been at peace with the rest, under the name "Allied System Alliance". They currently have been spotted in the remains of the Cygnus arm. Let me know if you want more information on anything.

I edited this at 4:12 PM 2/14/2012 to change and correctly answer the first question. I mis-read it, in addition in that section I provided more details as to Dr. Shefield's goal of visiting.
Spoiler for Hiden:

In case the image fails to load
A declassified document regarding the Gate System and how it works.

In case the image fails to load
A recent document attached to the hypothesis of "Multi-Universal Linkage" roughly drawn.
(Sorry for the terribleness of the drawing, and the fact that you can see it on the other side.)
I edited this at 9:48 PM 2/14/2012 to include two drawings regarding the Gate System and the Multi-Universal Linkage Hypothesis.
I edited this at 5:00 PM 2/15/2012 to fix the answer to Question 1. I re-read it after I was not tired (wrote it in the morning :p) and noticed it would cause a ton of problems (time speed different) so I replaced it with another hypothesis. Sorry for the changed answer, but the speed of time being different causes major problems.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 05:02:17 PM by Thor â?? â?¢ ï¿? ² »

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 06:39:14 AM »
I'm acctually in +support of this being tried out on Outlands. I would like other admins to post their verdicts and what they think of the person's roleplaying and I believe this should be accepted or denied by Raiden due to the nature of it, but in my opinion this does deserve a trial as it is very well thought out and made.

Offline garry :D

• ~I LOVE a boat~
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 03:02:09 PM »
+support

Offline 429ghost

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 05:30:09 PM »
As much as this seems absolutely great and a lot of effort put in to it, I am afraid that due to people being strict about the canon here, the fact that there is existance of other alien life in the universe besides the Combine(not to mention if they may possibly posses the ability to defeat the Combine more thoroughly than the humans could have during the Seven Hour War) and that they have visited Earth while it is under occupation of the Combine, the chances of that getting denied may be very high. Me personally, I +support, I enjoy good stories and such with much detail put into it. It's just that you may not have much luck getting this accepted.

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 05:59:10 PM »
As much as this seems absolutely great and a lot of effort put in to it, I am afraid that due to people being strict about the canon here, the fact that there is existance of other alien life in the universe besides the Combine(not to mention if they may possibly posses the ability to defeat the Combine more thoroughly than the humans could have during the Seven Hour War) and that they have visited Earth while it is under occupation of the Combine, the chances of that getting denied may be very high. Me personally, I +support, I enjoy good stories and such with much detail put into it. It's just that you may not have much luck getting this accepted.

They are from another Universe, and Noxis has very little weaponry. If anything, the Combine are more advanced than them. (They can control the rifts, already invaded who knows how many dimensions and universes, have advanced Dark Energy reactors, etc.) Not trying to degrade your statements in any way, just re-providing what was already listed. Thanks for your support though. :p

Offline Tyler

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 06:03:14 PM »
I've pointed this out to Raiden, and he knows that this one is being left to him and to review it.

UU.OTA-VANGUARD.6.94250 | Online (THETA.EOW)
C45.CCA.CLASSIFIED.326 | In Service (VOID-DvL.326)
C45.CCA.APEX-01.199 | In Service
Dr. Wolfgang Metzger | Dead | Shot after throwing a Breen bust at the SeC.

9:19 PM - Brandon: I'll donate more later, It's just my mother is a dumb face
9:19 PM - RoflWaffle - fuck off please: i'm an idiot for assuming things her

9:22 PM - Lord Bravery: Brandon
9:22 PM - Lord Bravery: have sex with m

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 07:02:38 PM »
I've pointed this out to Raiden, and he knows that this one is being left to him and to review it.

Thank you kind sir, also anyone tell me if you want more info on ANYTHING in this application. I already have a ton of Noxis stuff written up and I don't mind if you want to probe more into the mysteries of Noxis.

Offline 429ghost

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 07:36:02 PM »
Try connecting the whole Noxis story more to the Half Life canon is my suggestion, like maybe explaining how the Noxis universe managed to latch onto the Resonance Cascade, or how it connected to the Resonance Cascade in the Combine controlled universe. Is the Noxis universe connected to Xen through the Resonance Cascade? Remember, Xen is a prominent factor in the portal activity in the Half-Life storyline. Xen is involved in most natural portals. Xen is known to even possibly be what connects all the universes together.

And also, try explaining more of this appearent alternate universe(Such as history of the alternate Earth and what not, not just the history of the Noxis corporation)

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 08:41:20 PM »
Try connecting the whole Noxis story more to the Half Life canon is my suggestion, like maybe explaining how the Noxis universe managed to latch onto the Resonance Cascade, or how it connected to the Resonance Cascade in the Combine controlled universe. Is the Noxis universe connected to Xen through the Resonance Cascade? Remember, Xen is a prominent factor in the portal activity in the Half-Life storyline. Xen is involved in most natural portals. Xen is known to even possibly be what connects all the universes together.

And also, try explaining more of this appearent alternate universe(Such as history of the alternate Earth and what not, not just the history of the Noxis corporation)

Around 2156, all of the gates in the Noxis Gate System started to exhibit strange symptoms. At first, their wormholes looped back into itself. (If you went through the gate, it would look just like you went through the structure. Like if you walk through a doorway, you just walk though; but the physical wormhole just looped back to the gate.) There are no exact reasons currently known, but a few have popped up. 1: The Subspace Gate Communication malfunctioned (The most popular hypothesis), not allowing the gates to connect to others or even not broadcasting. If the gates were not pointed anywhere and were active, the wormhole could in fact link back to itself. 2: An unknown property of Noxium caused the wormholes to become unstable enough to "detach" from their current connections and loop back to itself. More scientists think the former caused it compared to the latter. The result of this was that every system was cut off from one another, and around 10ly or more away from the nearest system. Nobody had the technology to travel 10ly in a short amount of time, so most systems simply died off as they relied on the gate travel. As if being disconnected was bad, after a while the gates started to overload. Gates cannot handle being connected to themselves for expended periods of time, and the safety shutdown did not engage. (Once again, the reason of this is not known.) A gate that overloads explodes in a supernova fashion. This nova was large enough to trigger the nearest gates to overload too. This chain reaction destroyed half the galaxy before further systems could forcefully disconnect their gates. The gates still broadcasting a small amount of data, mainly their location and state in subspace, and this allowed the trend to be noted. Hundreds of gates were slowly dropping off the networks. It was quickly deduced to disconnect the remaining gates. (Noxis did this themselves, as all gates can be remotely controlled from the CA station, provided the gates are broadcasting in subspace.) What happened DURING the chain reaction was that the active wormholes (which were linked to themselves) had a moment where they had no destination. The wormholes, not liking this, seeked the nearest space-time anomaly which could handle the wormhole's connection; which just so happened to be a natural black hole. As more and more wormholes switched over to this black hole (They connect to it, then the source is disconnected and the wormholes stay attached to the black hole, forming a loop back.) the black holes started gaining more mass. The black hole, all though it could now be considered a massive wormhole as it does provide transportation (albeit to itself) was strong enough to handle hundreds of wormholes to itself. The wormholes might have bridged into a single super-wormhole, or might have maintained their states as single wormholes. Soon, the black hole was able to literally rip a hole in the universe. It is similar to ripping a hole in space-time, only requiring a MASSIVE amount of mass. This hole provided an intra-universal connection to take place, as long as the nearest universe had a similar hole. It just so happened that the nearest universe that was available for linking was in fact the HL2 universe. Their resonance cascade did indeed connect them to the Xen, but also left them with a hole. It would have not been a problem had Noxis not had one too. The two wormholes connected to each other, providing passage between. It is 100% possible that there is another rift to another universe in the Noxis galaxy (as shown in the diagram posted above.)
=================================================================================================
      Noxis had experimented with teleportation early in the 21st century. They got all the way to teleporting small mammals and them surviving. (Not known if they were just copies or contained the original conscience.) Another team was working on similar technology, but instead teleporting matter from anywhere in the universe and being able to convert it into other matter. Argo, you could teleport in a bunch of hydrogen from a distant galaxy and turn it into oxygen for life support. The project was quickly abandoned. It worked perfectly, as they could convert distant hydrogen into oxygen, but soon they noticed that the spot where the matter was located turned into a hole in space-time. (Basically they created black holes where the atoms used to be.) The project was later re-opened later at an undisclosed date, by an undercover team. They wanted to see if they could make wormholes and transport people through them (similar to the Noxis Gates but through "natural" black holes.) The team's notes were stored on a Noxis Networked machine so copies of it were available after they killed themselves. What happened was that they made a black hole in a distant galaxy, then tried to create one in a testing room located in their "special orbital lab". They did in fact create it, but the black hole quickly sucked up the station, and the planet. It took 35.062 seconds for the complete destruction of the entire area. During this brief time, a camera was still broadcasting to the network. From the point of the black hole, it had recorded 1 hour and 23 seconds of data. The camera no doubt did not exist this long. Upon further examination of the data provided from the camera (located at /NMD/Teams/1667a/camera-a/) it was possible to make out pictures. It was very fuzzy and distorted, but it resembled a nebula. The nebula looked as though it contained debris that were possibly made of rocks and other natural material, and large enough to be considered asteroids/planets. The results of this examination were published as a research paper. Other teams underwent the same examination as this one, and came up with similar pictures. Sadly, they could not verify if it was accurate, as the camera ceased broadcasting long ago. The region of space most likely was consumed by the black hole, but sensors could not accurately tell. Noxis-Designed sensors were unable to accurately range objects located in nebulae, and this team was settled in one. If the black hole did consume the space, it has yet to breach the nebula they were settled in. It is however possible that the black hole is in fact a wormhole, that leads to another unknown area of space, be it in this universe, or another. (It could have been the Xen, however the video provided from this sole camera was very distorted. It's a mystery as to how it was able to broadcast for 1 hour.) The Nebula the team was located in is now in the "No Man's Land" and is considered forbidden space by all space-faring communities.
=================================================================================================
     History on the earth is not much different, and instead of explaining every event, I will only mention important differences in the timeline.
 - World War II was never fought, and Nazi Germany controlled Germany, Poland and Austria.
 - F.D.R. was assassinated right before starting his second term. This caused the US to develop differently, and laws on corporations were very relaxed. It did not take long for corporations to bribe (bribery was legal) the president (Nixon) and enough of the members of Congress to enact a bill. This bill called for a new form of congress to be formed, based on the representation of corporations. The results ended in the United States of America being controlled by a couple mega-corporations.
 - The Cuban Missile Crisis resulted in the nuking of Florida, but the remaining missiles aimed for New York, LA, and other major centers were shot down. Florida become irradiated and the Earth lowered by 3 degrees Celsius. No further missiles were ever fired, as all capable countries now knew that it directly would cause the death of everyone (MAD)
 - Corporations used the US to gain entrance into the UN, which quickly allowed them to control nearly every MDC (More Developed Country). MDCs ceased being separate nations and joined together under the name and flag of the UN. Notable regions that were not included are Africa and Asia. The countries in those regions dropped out of the UN during this time and formed another similar organization called the "UAN" (United Afro-Asian Nations), a direct rival to the UN.
 - By 2040, Noxis bought out a majority of the corporations controlling the UN and re-branded the "name" to just Noxis. The UN ceased existing at this point. Rival corporations could do nothing about it, after all money was power.
 - In 2075, the first Gate was created at L2. A ship was sent out to tow a gate to the nearest star, Proxima Centauri. The connection was made in 2076. (Experimental drives were used at first, but soon whole gates could be teleported to the destination. The use of teleportation slowed as more systems had gates, and completely stopped after all possible systems had gates.)
 - By 2100, all minerals on Earth were depleted, and the new "capital" of Noxis was relocated. At the time, Earth had 23.7 billion people.
 - Around 2138 the temperature on Earth reached 104.9 Celsius and the oceans start to boil.
 - Around 2144 all ocean water has been boiled away, all plant and animal life has perished due to increased pressure, and the remaining 26.8 billion people are living in domed cities in the remains of the Mariana Trench to decrease the pressure.
 - In 2152, The Sol system was deserted as further environmental damage on Earth caused the domed cities to start failing. Mars and the like were abandoned for more favorable habitable worlds located elsewhere in the galaxy.
 - Around 2156, the Eternal Darkness occurred. Two points of civilization survived, and flourished (Already having fairly advanced technology, those two colonies were the only ones who were the easiest to survive.) These two groups soon grew to look slightly different, as their climates varied a bit. They later called themselves the "New Terran Alliance" and "Allied System Alliance". Not much is known on the history of these two groups, but they are less advanced than Noxis. Noxis continued to refine and develop despite being restricted to the core. Noxis made contact with the two other groups (who knew of each other's existence, but did not have any means of travel, as their gates did not work, nor did they have stardrives or any kind of good propulsion.) and established that the Galactic Core was Noxis owned and off limited, and told them to not bother settling in No Man's Land as their populations would not last long.
    I feel like that summarizes the history. A lot of the same events that happened on HL2's earth (up to 2000 :V) happened on this one, but Black Mesa did not exist, nor Aperture as neither were funded. The US government did not provide defense contracts (all defense was in the hands of private corps at that point, and they didn't outsource.)
Hope this answers some of what you said, I just went on a writing spree. I apologize on the wall of text, I tried to break it up as much as I could, and sectioned off the three "answers". If there are any huge mistakes or something silly, my bad; I will look it over again later as I need a break from writing. One problem with explaining the history is that a lot of it is the same, and once Noxis takes over, no wars happen etc. The main/huge highlights were in the "history". I included a bit more though, so hope it satisfies your quest. As always, let me know if you want more information.

Edited right after posting (8:44 PM) to include the last two sentences, I forgot to add them.
Edited 5:55 PM 3/5/2012 to update the timeline with some better material pertaining Earth's fate, and why it was suddenly abandoned.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 05:56:06 PM by Thor â?? â?¢ ï¿? ² »

Offline 429ghost

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 04:15:13 PM »
Ah, ok, thank you. This sounds very similar to what is called the Multiverse Theory, the theory that apart from our own universe exists a number of identical universes, in terms of the laws of physics and everything that exists, all of which may be unique in some sort of way, such as having a different timeline of historic events and such. Of course the timeline part of that was simply suggested by the science fiction community, as we have never been to any other universe besides our own to be able to tell whether the others would be 100% identical or not, like having a different or similar timeline.

I would just like to point out one plot hole I managed to find if you are basing this off of the Multiverse Theory, according to the theory, everything physical is identical in every universe. That includes time, or date. As the two universes(Noxis and HL2 universe) are identical, they should be at the same time, in the same year. In our canon here at CG, the HL2 universe time is 2016-2017 A.D., while the Noxis universe time is, according to your character's backstory, 2555 A.D. Unless maybe in the Noxis universe, either Mankind, Earth, the solar system, or the galaxy was formed maybe 539 years earlier than in the HL2 universe, or possibly vice versa. Anyway just wanted to point that out.

When mixing the Multiverse Theory with the inter-dimensional science in the HL2 canon, I like to think of it like this:

|
|
_______|_______
|
|
|

The vertical line representing our multiverse, the horizontal representing a dimensional plane of 'other' multiverses, bringing the Combine and their territories into the picture. I like to think of it as each universe of existence being connected to each other through a linear equation. And with that being said, any universe can possibly access any other universe, no matter what multiverse or dimension. This could cause a whole lot of confusing stuff.

Say maybe in one Y axis universe, a universe within the multiverse of the X value, and lets say X = The dimension of the Combine(The Combine Homeworld), they invade another X value on the same Y value(if that was too confusing, they invade another dimension in the same Y value, the Y axis indicitating which universe it is in the multiverse), like think of Combine A invading Earth A(Or HL2 universe), they are able to travel to the Earth A universe very easily because it is on the same Y value. Now imagine their inability to travel to a different Y value. I find it very interesting how in Earth B(Or Noxis universe), the connection to a different Y value is natural through the Resonance Cascade that occured there, but then again this could be more easy since it is in the same dimension, or X value.

Now getting back to all that X and Y stuff, when finding a dimension, the point should be ( ?, 0) and when finding a universe along the multiverse of that dimension, the point should be ( [an integer], ?).

I get the feeling I'm starting to lose you, lol, by now you probably tl;dr'd.

Well to just conclude this post already, I really find your story very interesting, and I would really hate to see it get denied. I wish you the best of luck and I am looking forward to see this story develop.

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 07:41:40 PM »
Ah, ok, thank you. This sounds very similar to what is called the Multiverse Theory, the theory that apart from our own universe exists a number of identical universes, in terms of the laws of physics and everything that exists, all of which may be unique in some sort of way, such as having a different timeline of historic events and such. Of course the timeline part of that was simply suggested by the science fiction community, as we have never been to any other universe besides our own to be able to tell whether the others would be 100% identical or not, like having a different or similar timeline.

I would just like to point out one plot hole I managed to find if you are basing this off of the Multiverse Theory, according to the theory, everything physical is identical in every universe. That includes time, or date. As the two universes(Noxis and HL2 universe) are identical, they should be at the same time, in the same year. In our canon here at CG, the HL2 universe time is 2016-2017 A.D., while the Noxis universe time is, according to your character's backstory, 2555 A.D. Unless maybe in the Noxis universe, either Mankind, Earth, the solar system, or the galaxy was formed maybe 539 years earlier than in the HL2 universe, or possibly vice versa. Anyway just wanted to point that out.

When mixing the Multiverse Theory with the inter-dimensional science in the HL2 canon, I like to think of it like this:

|
|
_______|_______
|
|
|

The vertical line representing our multiverse, the horizontal representing a dimensional plane of 'other' multiverses, bringing the Combine and their territories into the picture. I like to think of it as each universe of existence being connected to each other through a linear equation. And with that being said, any universe can possibly access any other universe, no matter what multiverse or dimension. This could cause a whole lot of confusing stuff.

Say maybe in one Y axis universe, a universe within the multiverse of the X value, and lets say X = The dimension of the Combine(The Combine Homeworld), they invade another X value on the same Y value(if that was too confusing, they invade another dimension in the same Y value, the Y axis indicitating which universe it is in the multiverse), like think of Combine A invading Earth A(Or HL2 universe), they are able to travel to the Earth A universe very easily because it is on the same Y value. Now imagine their inability to travel to a different Y value. I find it very interesting how in Earth B(Or Noxis universe), the connection to a different Y value is natural through the Resonance Cascade that occured there, but then again this could be more easy since it is in the same dimension, or X value.

Now getting back to all that X and Y stuff, when finding a dimension, the point should be ( ?, 0) and when finding a universe along the multiverse of that dimension, the point should be ( [an integer], ?).

I get the feeling I'm starting to lose you, lol, by now you probably tl;dr'd.

Well to just conclude this post already, I really find your story very interesting, and I would really hate to see it get denied. I wish you the best of luck and I am looking forward to see this story develop.

I did in fact base this on the Multiverse theory. As regarding the plot hole, it is possible that the Noxis universe started 539 years before the HL2 universe.
10    5    |        4             2
_A__B__|____N__        1
____C__|__H___D        0
        5    |    5    13         -1
Using your model (Sorry for it not being the same widths and etc, in general it is a poor way and I should have just drawn a picture.), say this is the structure of the multiverse. Each space horizontally is a "site" in which a big bang can occur. As you can see, in this area of the multiverse there are six sites where a big bang occurred, each now a universe. We have A, B, C, D, H, and N. N is the Noxis universe, H is the HL2 universe, and C is the Combine universe. A and B are other ones to help show the possible commonness of big bangs. N is located at (1,4) and H is located at (0,5) (It looks like H is closer, but I counted the spaces and it just happens to be 5.) Now lets say for example, a universe can connect to another but only if they are within a close distance on the same line with ease. If it is past the Y axis, it is much harder for it to connect to. So since H is only (-1,-1) away, N would first connect to that universe. The next one it would connect to is the B universe. Even though it is across the axis, it is only 9 "energy spaces" away compared to D which is 10 spaces away. (One X axis adds 1 energy in this example.) Now with the Combine universe, it is possible that they already connected to and conquered universe A and B (or A and B might not be as close, this is just an example.) and the next closest is H. If N was closer, then it would have been invaded. I didn't take into account what happens if you have two universes with the same energy spaces. Perhaps it would chose one at random, or switch between the two at random intervals. It could also be the case where if a universe is far enough apart, it would never connect. For example, you could have A never, ever, connecting to D as it is 24 spaces away. There could be this hard limit of which the wormhole just won't go any further. Now, the Noxis universe in this case first connected to the HL2 universe, as it was the closest. The combine also invaded the HL2 universe because it was within range. In this example, the Noxis universe is in range, assuming 20 is the hard limit. (The energy between is just 10.) So if the Combine made another connection, it would connect to Noxis and they would be screwed. (Well, they might survive depending just how advanced they were. I'm sure Noxis would pull something out of their sleeves as they are very clever. They survived the destruction of half the galaxy after all. They might find a way to safely teleport out to another galaxy or maybe move to another universe and try and close the wormholes back. Who knows.) Anyway, hope I didn't confuse you or anyone else who is reading. If (to another person) this confused you too much, you can ignore it as it is all examples and not part of the Noxis story. (Well the theory behind it is, but this is not the real Multiverse that they both live in.
Regarding the commonness of big bangs, in a multiverse with many sites where big bangs can happen, it is likely that they are very common place. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcNi2zTlTC4 This video examples it how I was going to.

The Mysterious Stranger

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 06:50:18 AM »
 Comment is used to show this on the front page, thought the others can't see it.

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 05:35:01 PM »
So sorry that I haven't been on recently, been studying for a very important test coming up this Thursday. By this weekend I should be able to get on.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal