Poll

This poll doesn't determine the outcome but does help me make my decision.

City32 District 4
20 (87%)
City 32 Outlands
3 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 20, 2011, 12:56:01 AM

Author Topic: What custom map should I make?  (Read 2977 times)

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
What custom map should I make?
« on: August 17, 2011, 12:56:01 AM »
The custom map is more of a what we need now. The two servers, outlands and city, both have maps which are having a hard time supporting RP. The city has everything HL2RP needs but its bland. Outlands has paths to help move rebels along without being spotted and good hideouts but it's too cramped which takes away the vast feel outlands should have.

Here's my question. Should I work on City 32 (approximately 4-6 months) or City32 Outlands (approximately 2-4 months)?

Post input. The poll doesn't determine the outcome of this. Your input does. The poll just helps me see what people want more.

Offline SaoulZod

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: What custom map should I make?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 01:12:25 AM »
The custom map is more of a what we need now. The two servers, outlands and city, both have maps which are having a hard time supporting RP. The city has everything HL2RP needs but its bland. Outlands has paths to help move rebels along without being spotted and good hideouts but it's too cramped which takes away the vast feel outlands should have.

Here's my question. Should I work on City 32 (approximately 4-6 months) or City32 Outlands (approximately 2-4 months)?

Post input. The poll doesn't determine the outcome of this. Your input does. The poll just helps me see what people want more.

City.

Outlands is in a kind of "Bleed-out" state right now... sometimes people are on, but it's got a low average of players in comparison.  The dedicated City players (The ones we want to keep) will get the new map and continue playing. There will not be a large flux in the playerbase there.

you ban me for such bad reason u just cant understand the level of depth i roleplay on i am just far better roleplayer than u lol play half life 2 and then come back 2 this server plz
*sigh*
chunkeymonkey79: please get the entire CG community and uproot Saoul and RTLK
Thanks, Chunkey.

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 02:19:56 AM »
The number of people playing on the city server has greatly increased, so the a custom map for the city server would greatly improve the RP chances for everyone there.
Kathryn Williams
Now in the trading business with Angus Buchanan.
Val'Nok Rotuk
Lost in the canals.
Ember Olliver (Tier-3)
Enjoying her new CWU Winter Coat.
C45.CCA.GRID-01.414
Look at my dress, my dress is amazing.
UU.OTA.REAPER-EtL.73092
Does anyone else taste metal and see red?

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [GMR2 Award] 100 MPH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 07:55:26 AM »
New city map is MUCH more needed.
City 18 is a minge magnet hence both CP and admins have a very hard time keeping the server under control.
Check out my Youtube channel with all kinds of cool videos including LP's which I'm currently working at. Don't forget to give feedback as well. ;)

Offline tics

• The Artist Formerly Known as Ricky
  • Developer
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 08:10:32 AM »
I strongly disagree, especially with the statement "the ones we need to keep" in reference to city players. Rofl has said many times that he wants balanced playerbases for both the City and Outlands. Therefore, we really ought to get a new Outlands map done, because we will be able to increase the players on there.

What you're basically saying as of the moment is, Outlands is dying let it die. You really ought to be saying "Outlands is dying, let's revive it." Instead, you're just saying "Fuck it." Like any new project, which Outlands is, it's needs some tweaking to make it enjoyable and worthwhile. While the map we have for it is great, it was designed for Taco N' Banana, where their level of roleplay, style of roleplay, and canon is far different than what we have here at Catalyst Gaming, to the extent that I almost regret ever suggesting outercanals.

So while I see your point as to why we need a new city map, I do believe that the Outlands map is more of a priority. However, I really think that - not just with maps but overall - both servers need an equal amount of attention, and all I really see is the city getting attention. You basically make Outlands seem bad. People who play on Outlands are getting the same treatment that lolrebels used to get, when Outlands was specifically designed for people who want to rebel without being tagged as lolrebels.

Overall, those who think the city map is more important, I request you at least give it a little more thought.
Live free or die

Offline Pielolz

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 11:09:57 AM »
Outlands only deserves a new map if it's coast and you can go fishing, asides that, City.

The minge baggery in the city is un-be-fucking-leviable, Seriously "how do u punch?" Minge runners new poeple the whole storm of shit i ONE PLACE. Our C45 edit greatly improved RP, seriously it was truly amazing.. So little minges there.. The Nexus was amazing. But we should put a rush on the City.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 11:16:14 AM »
If the reason for a custom map in the city is to reduce minges, no. Find another map or go back to C8.

I want some people who actually play on outlands to post here.

Offline Nuke

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 12:11:57 PM »
Ok then I will post here. I think the map is fine as it is. Go work on City 32 and stop trying to get out of it like you did with rockford.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 12:20:46 PM »
Ok then I will post here. I think the map is fine as it is. Go work on City 32 and stop trying to get out of it like you did with rockford.
Hold the phone. I didn't try to get out of Rockford. I stopped because there was no urgent need to keep working on it. It's a community map which means it's not exactly what I wanted. What's the use in working on something I don't want that nobody else needs? I'm not getting out of the city. I have plans for it and am willing to work on it. Its just that the outlands needs a larger map while still having lots of places to go and hide.

Offline Darkshifter98

• Flipper of Elephants
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 01:40:55 PM »
Hmm... I would finish the city map first then start on the outlands map. But thats just me.
\\\"Hold right bumper to flip... wait, what? How did you do that?\\\"

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 03:34:34 PM »
Can somebody give a comprehensive list of reasons why rp_outercanals in so unsuitable for an outlands map?
o7

Offline chunkeymonkey79

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 07:59:40 PM »
City should be a higher priority, as it is technically the 'main' server. Plus, city is more popular than out lands.
I would say do city because of minges, but statua says reducing minges is not a reason..
<::|| HL2RP Characters ||::>

C18.CCA.APEX-DvL.040
Taking it easy as the DvL of the best division.

Derek Hampson
Wandering around C18, mentally confused.

Kendra Shawkins
Unknown Location, last seen diving into a body of water.

UU.OTA.PHANTOM-1.11590
On a rooftop, cloaked and sniper in hand.

ATTEMPTING TO ACCESS CHARACTER DATA..RESTRICTED..

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
I would say do city because of minges, but statua says reducing minges is not a reason...

It's not a reason because we don't need a custom map to reduce the amount of minges. To reduce minges, all we need to do is switch back to City 8, or a similarly uncommon map. You may be asking, "Then why the hell haven't we done that yet?!" Well, the answer is playerbase. RoflWaffle greatly values playerbase, and I believe he doesn't want to part with City 18 because of the amount of users C18 attracts. This is somewhat understandable, because more players naturally equals more potential donators. From what I've heard, donations contribute immensely to server maitainance costs and such. However, a large proportion- possibly even the majority- of new users who visit the C18 server are either trolls or utterly new to serious roleplay gamemodes. There comes a time when one wonders which takes the higher priority: money or roleplay.

You might say, "With no money, there's no roleplay," and you would, in fact, be right. But the thing is, there are ways to increase the inflow of cash. Rofl's already added adverts to the forums, which could potentially make donations a non-issue. Maybe it already is. But if you're still hung up on donations, there are other ways to increase their frequency. It's as simple as thinking up some new donator benefits; making donating seem more worthwhile. A few new VIP/Gold rewards will bring an influx of donations to the community. With the combination of adverts and new donator benefits, attracting donations via map selection would cease to become an issue, and again, possibly already has.

With the playerbase issue eliminated, there is no reason to stay on City 18. City 18 is bland, but the primary problem with the map is the level of undesirable players it attracts. The standard of roleplay on City 8 was superb, at least compared to the current standard on C18. I propose the city server switch back to C8. The playerbase will decrease, true, but the fact is that City 18 attracts far too many trolls, minges, and immature kids. Staying on C18 simply is not worth it. On City 8, we will get fewer players, but the roleplayers we do get will be of far better quality. Quality over quantity.

I do not believe the city map needs to be a custom one. Several suitable maps exist, including C8. Now, as for switching the outlands map- the current map, rp_outercanals, is relatively uncommon as is. A custom outlands map would not affect the outlands playerbase negatively, because the current amount of players is already very low.

Chunkeymonkey's statement regarding server priority illustrates an attitude that is potentially harmful to the hl2rp community. He appears to be claiming that a server's priority should be based on its popularity. First of all, the method by which he measures popularity is already flawed. How does he appear to be measuring it? By the number of people who play on it? Oh, okay. By that logic, I suppose we could conclude the city server is popular- popular for trolls. Whats better: (a) a server with 25 citizens, 3 of which know how to roleplay correctly, or (b) a server with 12 citizens, 11 of which know how to roleplay correctly? If the majority of you pick (a), maybe I'll just eat my hat and resign. The point is, a server with 35 people playing on it doesn't magically make it more important than a server with 18 people playing on it, and vice versa.

Let's go back to the proposal to switch the outlands map. There is another option that hasn't seemed to have been considered. What if we don't switch the map at all (at least not for outlands)? The underlying problems in the outlands server isn't the map itself, its the style of the gameplay and the roleplay, it's how players interact with each other. Like Nikolai said, outlands is an ongoing project. Many gameplay mechanics must still be tweaked. Changing the map to deal with this seems a bit like trying to put out a fire by smothering it in charcoal. You're missing the point, you're just... doing it wrong. If we changed the outlands map, maybe small map-specific issues will be gone, but there will always be something else, there will always be some other issue that seems to be the end of the world for roleplay. A perfect map does not exist. Changing the outlands map will only bring about new problems, which will generally be addressed by people hollering for another map change. It would be wiser to keep the current outlands map and focus objectively on improving certain gameplay elements. What bugs can we fix? What is the purpose of this faction? What are the limitations of this rule? What isn't fun? How can we make it fun? Answering these sorts of questions will ultimately go much, much farther than a mere map change, and the end result will be a fulfilling, enjoyable roleplay experience.

Statua. If you're hellbent on making a custom map for us, then so be it. However, I strongly believe your talent, your time, and your effort would be put to far better use elsewhere.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:06:27 PM by YankeeSamurai »
o7

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal