Author Topic: A Whole New Game  (Read 1431 times)

Offline MrVolker

• View Profile
    • Awards
A Whole New Game
« on: July 15, 2012, 01:11:44 PM »
Do you think (obviously not now or even soon) that someone could start with the source engine and just build a dedicated Half-Life Roleplay game?
I suppose it would be part "MMO", but I don't think a subscription fee would be a good thing.
It would cost a couple of dollars and therefore deflect atleast some of the minges.
There could be a few dedicated servers that all contain different maps and cities.
Applications for CCA, CWU, and other organizations could be handled in their own section of the game. On top of that, there could be a system of asking and paying for transfer to and from cities.
Each city could have an NPC shop-owner so that there is always atleast one shop open, but citizens could still open businesses.
Each city could possibly have a small opening sequence with NPCs when you arrive at a city.

This is just a discussion, not a suggestion (which is why I didn't put it there).
So what do y'all think? What would you add, and what could go wrong?

Offline Greg

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: A Whole New Game
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 01:35:55 PM »
It would take an extreme amount of work and resources. Licensing the source engine isn't cheap and you can build a mod if you plan on selling the product. Not to mention the amount of developers it would take for the programming aspects and the art assets. It wouldnt be an easy project and probably wouldn't end up being worth the time and money put into it.

Plus, roleplaying games required more administration involvement then any other form of gameplay. If you want to build a large community you are going to have to have a large administration and the larger an administration is the more complicated a system gets which will only cause conflict.

So its not really feasible, both from a developers standpoint and an administration standpoint.

It would be cool though.

Offline tdabamf1

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 01:38:16 PM »
That'd be freaking awesome, I'd buy that game on the release. Anyways, I don't think everybody would think that half life 2 RP is cool, and most people in the world don't role play or anything. So it'd be kinda bad marketing.

Offline MrVolker

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 02:23:18 PM »
I was thinking more about what it would have it somehow it was possible. I agree that this is damn near impossible. But still, I like to conceptualize.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal