Author Topic: HL2 Short Story (Outlands Style)  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
HL2 Short Story (Outlands Style)
« on: December 08, 2011, 09:25:55 AM »
Title says it all.

The Eternal Chase

A drop of water splashed on his forehead. Leonard sat up. He wiped his hand across his greasy forehead and looked about. He was in the same, wet smelly drainage pipe he was in the night before. Leonard looked back down the pitch black pipe. He had run through it the night before, no light to lead the way. The thought of the oversized, intimidating combine soldiers  was his only motivation to keep going.

Leonard was an average sized man, his long, greasy untrimmed hair. His unshaven oriental face. His many scars and wounds from previous encounters. This description was on the front page of the wanted list on every universal union members datapad. The combine soldiers, the unions most tactical and effective ground units, were after Leonard. He was classified as the priority one target, wanted dead or alive for trying to overthrow the union.

The universal union had created a new world order, enslaving mankind to do their hard work. Within seven hours, the world went from it's civilized state to a world of oppression and slavery. People were classified as citizens, put into controlled metro centers and given a unique number known as a Citizen Identification Number, also known as a CID. Citizens are entitled to one ration which includes a 150 calorie packet of edible supplements and a half liter of water. To some, this was the perfect life. Chemicals were added to the food and water to make this way of life seem great. The chemicals also make people think the leaders of the union, their "benefactors" fixed all problems mankind has created in their previous society.

However, to others, they do not deserve this life. They want their old life back and for the so called, "benefactors" to leave forever. Leonard was one of these people. After about a month of suffering, Leonard had enough. He rounded up a couple other citizens and escaped the city. Leonard and his group, named "Reformers", settled in the outer canals of City 45. They were living a much better life away from the rule of the union. They ate non perishable foods such as beans and canned soup. They drank purified water they collected from the canal and boiled.

This life however didn't last. The combine soldiers, formerly known as Overwatch, noticed activity around the outer canal area. A few years before the seven hour war, the black mesa research facility accidentally opened an inter-dimensional rift between the Xen world and Earth. Xen creatures began infesting the planet. In the outer canals, Xen creatures such as headcrabs and antlions are a common sight. These are very dangerous, violent creatures and are a danger to the Reformers. Overwatch noticed more activity in these creatures and suspected someone was in the area. Overwatch patrols began which brought up another threat for the reformers. Eventually, Leonard went back to City 45 to recruit more members. He returned to the outlands with a few more citizens. Overwatch noticed this and began watching Leonard. He started something though. More and more citizens began fleeing the city to live in the outlands. This made for more traffic which meant more attention. Overwatch set up an outpost in that particular location in order to stop this rise in refugee trafficking.  The Reformers met another group known as Easy, particularly Easy Station. They discussed and came to an agreement and created a larger group known as Alliance. The main goal to all Alliance members was to keep refugees safe from overwatch and Xen life.

This is how Leonard ended up where he is now. It was an average day in the outlands. Leonard was out with his buddy Dave looking for items of interest such as food or ammunition. Out of nowhere, an overwatch helicopter soared overhead toward one of the refugee camps. Leonard and Dave returned  to the Alliance headquarters. Leonard grabbed the laser guided rocker launcher and a couple rockets. He tried to convince Alfred, another reformer member, to come help as Dave was too exhausted from the day. Alfred wouldn't help leonard so he went alone.

Leonard found the helicopter firing at a refugee camp. He took one shot at the helicopter and it exploded into a ball of fire on the spot. Leonard didn't realize there was more then one helicopter.  About ten seconds after the first helicopter was destroyed, a second one swooped down and threatened Leonard with its pulse cannon. Leonard took another shot but missed. Now out of rockets, he headed for safety in a canal tunnel. Normally, this would be good enough. He would hide in the tunnel, the helicopter would leave, he could return home. Today however was not the case for a ground team began heading toward the tunnel. With his sniper rifle and SPAS-12 shotgun, Leonard went further down the tunnel without stopping. He could hear the ground team moving in. It was pitch black in the tunnel and his flashlight eventually died but Leonard wasn't stopping there. He kept going, feeling the walls and taking careful steps. He kept his eyes shut to make it seem less dark and lonesome in the tunnel. He had reached the end by nightfall, the dimly lit landscape of the country could be seen. He decided to stay in the tunnel to rest and keep out of sight. Once he was sure the one ground team was no longer pursuing him, Leonard laid down and went to sleep.

Leonard looked outside. It was light out now though the sun had not yet risen. He could hear the faint sound of the wind rustling the leaves on the trees. There were no more sounds of helicopters or gunshots or explosions this far out. Just a steady drip of water from the tunnel and the silent noises of the early morning countryside. Leonard snapped his attention back to the dark of the tunnel. He listened intently.
"Approaching sector borderline. No viscon at this time" he heard in the deep, crackling voice.
"Ah gadamnit." Leonard said quietly to himself. He gripped his shotgun and headed toward the end of the tunnel. He peered out, looking left, then right. He could see a forest to his left, ravaged by war and fire. To his right were rolling hills, fenceposts dotted lines up and down the hills. The drain pipe dropped about four feet into a shallow but swift moving creek. The water was a grungy brown colour and smelt of mold and mildew.
"Viscon priority one target. Sector four four two west borderline. Engaging." he heard in the same deep crackling voice. He heard two shots from the AR2 overwatch standard issue rifle. Two plasma projectiles whizzed overhead. Leonard jumped from the pipe into the creek. He turned around, switching off the safety on his shotgun. He pulled the trigger, firing a twelve gauge buckshot down the tunnel. There were only two overwatch units this time. One of them was hit. It dropped with a solid thud. The other unit kept advancing, pulling off a few shots here and there but missing. Leonard looked around. He noticed a large rock ten feet down the creek. He took cover behind this rock and pulled out the combine sniper rifle. He charged the core and took aim at the tunnel. The overwatch unit stopped at the end and took a look around. When it stuck its head out, Leonard took the shot. The glowing lenses of the units helmet went out. It hit the wall of the tunnel and fell out, splashing in the water. Leonard hesitated, then slung his rifle and proceeded downstream.

Leonard had been walking for about half an hour, looking for another canal drain pipe. He found nothing other then junk and rocks. He considered returning on the surface but Xen life was popular closer to the city, not to mention he would be easily spotted by an overwatch helicopter or ground team. He decided he would keep moving, in hopes to find another drain.

His foot contacted something solid that gave way. He looked down to find an eroded crate. He pried back the top and found a shipment of canned ravioli. Leonard took a few cans and stuffed them in his bag. He took one of the cans and began prying the top off with his knife. He looked inside at the contents of the can. They seemed to be fine so he ate the can of ravioli on the spot. He heard a helicopter in the distance.
"Shoot. Not this again." he said to himself. Leonard tried to find cover. About a hundred feet to his right was the edge of the forest. Up and down the creek was open. To his left was also barren and probably filled with antlions. He ran for the forest. The helicopter getting closer. He made it to the forest and looked back. The helicopter was flying around the tunnel exit and heading down the creek toward Leonard. He went further into the wreck of the forest.

There was a rustling sound under the leaves. Leonard took note of this and gripped his shotgun tightly. He kept hearing thumping and rustling sounds. The helicopter had passed without noticing Leonard. There was more rustling. All of a sudden, the ground began rumbling. About ten feet in front of Leonard, dirt and leaves shot into the air like a mine exploding. An antlion emerged from below. It raised its talons and charged toward Leonard. Without thinking, he raised the shotgun and pullet the trigger. The creatures exoskeleton shattered and it exploded in the mid section, projecting green substance in all directions. Leonard took in a deep breath and let it out with a sigh.
"That was close." he said to himself, grateful for still being alive.  He approached the hole cautiously, aiming down it with the shotgun. Once he was sure there would be no more antlions, he proceeded through the forest.

Leonard noticed the smell of burning wood. If it weren't for the rain storm a few days ago, he would have assumed it was part of the burnt forest. The smell was getting stronger. It couldn't be combine. If they were burning something down, he would have seen thicker smoke. He grew excited and kept moving, following the wind currents. Leonard noticed a pile of logs in the distance. He swung around his rifle and looked through the scope. He could make out a log cabin with a window. There was a pipe out the top with smoke emitting. Leonard grew very excited. He quickly moved toward the cabin, excited that he finally found civilization and a place to stay. He approached the building cautiously now, remembering his own rules about dealing with armed refugees. He tried to look through the window but it was boarded up from the other side. Holding his shotgun carefully, he approached the front door. He knocked twice, quietly. Rummaging could be heard within, then the door slowly opened. He was greeted with the barrel of an AK-47 assault rifle.
"What business you got here?" a voice from within said.
"It's ok, I'm not one of them." Leonard replies assuringly. The door opened wider. Leonard could see the man now. He was older, mid forties. There was a scar on his left cheek. His eyes had a look of fatigue in them. The man examined leonard carefully, noticing the sniper rifle on his back.
"Where did ya get that piece of equipment? The combine give it to ya so you could spy on us?"
"No no." Leonard replied quickly. "I got this one off an actual sniper soldier himself. It works well not only for taking out long range targets but also fo-"
"I don't care what it does. Come in." the man says, looking around. Leonard entered the log cabin. There were two others sitting at a table. One man in his late thirties and a woman in her mid twenties. They both had Ak-47s on the ground beside them.
"Hi." Leonard said, sheepishly waving. "My name is Leonard. Leonard Wong." The two at the table waved back but said nothing. The man who was at the door spoke.
"Leonard, my name is Robert. These are my friends, Sandy and Derrick. This is our home. Hasn't been found by the combine yet. However there is an antlion nest neerby. Ya didnt bring any with ya, right?"
"Uh no. Not that I know of. I ran into one awhile back but that was pretty far from here." Robert looked at Leonard suspiciously.
"What brings ya out here anyway?"
Leonard spoke, "I was running from the combine. They seem to be after me."
"They're after everyone son."
"I know that. I mean more then usual. See, I came from the canal system just outside city 45. I helped people escape the city and protected them from the creatures and the overwatch. I think the overwatch has me on their sights. Thats why they chased me this far." Robert thought for a moment, then quickly spoke.
"So ya brought some company with ya? This hidden cabin will now be found by the combine?" He began raising his voice, stepping closer to Leonard. "Ya think ya can just come here in my house and ruin everything by brining them here with ya?" Leonard stepped back.
"No. I did not bring any along with me I promise! The last thing I saw was a helicopter way over by the creek. I garuntee they wont come here. "
Robert looked at Leonard for a moment, then backed away.
"Well if ya say so. As long as ya dont bring trouble, Yer welcome to stay as long as ya need." Robert turns to go, then looks back at Leonard.
"I think ya saved my life once in the canals. I owe ya one."
Leonard smiled.
"Come. Ya can rest in here." Robert opened one of doors and steps in. Leonard follows to find a bed.
"There aint no power here so ya gotta use yer eyes in the dark." Robert leaves the room. Leonard drops his weapons on the floor. He goes for the bed and without hesitation, drops on the soft mattress. He falls into a much needed and well deserved sleep.

Offline wag1

• somalian dry
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: HL2 Short Story (Outlands Style)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 11:41:43 AM »
I'm liking the beggining, when I get time to read the rest I will. :D

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 09:59:54 AM »
Great as always, Statua.
o7

Offline The Joke

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 05:26:43 PM »
Brings a tear to my eye
C45.CCA.JURY-05.755
Activity: Following orders

Zak Grant
Activity: Trying to adjust to the Outlands again

Mike Harolds
Activity:Trying to stay alive in the Outlands

Zak Renolds
Activity: Trying to stay alive in the city

Offline emma

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 02:11:35 AM »
THEN WHO WAS LEAF
;)

Offline wag1

• somalian dry
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 11:44:22 PM »
Finally, found the time to read it.

It's really... It's amazing Statua... Make more... Please?

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 03:10:43 AM »
Finally, found the time to read it.

It's really... It's amazing Statua... Make more... Please?
Lol it was for school but I'll see if I can add more.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal