Author Topic: Mapper Introductions  (Read 9845 times)

Offline Bromine

• View Profile
    • Awards
Mapper Introductions
« on: April 18, 2011, 08:37:43 PM »
Sticky this, please.

MY LIVESTREAM: Http://www.livestream.com/bromine

In this thread, we will introduce ourselves if we are mappers, and maybe give some details.

I am Bromine, and I have been mapping since about 2009. My skill level is detailed when it comes to small maps, and generally lowers as the map size increases. My most popular release is going to be released at a later date, and I'm almost certain it will have some popularity. I am one of the 2 mappers with the indie game grou InfinitRED, I'm a huge an of CG's HL2RP server, as well. I have made a variant of the map rp_c18 as a daytime, and it is compiling as we speak. I have tried a beta version and it looks great. I'm looking forward to meeting new mappers here as well.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 10:25:08 PM by William Smith »

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Mapper Introductions
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 12:49:58 AM »
I'm the lead mapper (and so far the only) for the RLRP map Rockford being developed. It was origionally planned for OCRP:Serious but they died and Albert bugged me enough to work on it here.

I started mapping when I was 12. I didn't know about steam yet (though it was available at the time) and wanted to make little levels for my friends to play on in HL1. I made a dozen of levels ranging from schools to offices to nuclear bunkers. The quality of them however was somethig different.

I then got HL2 and GMod and learned how versatile gmod was for maps and it's game. I started off by making simple build maps for a community known as W.I.R.E. I then decided to make a map for spacebuild which wasn't all that great either. A few other maps for the community came out such as a desert, an ocean, and a more complex build map.

W.I.R.E. died and I moved to Nodex. They also wanted custom maps. I then took my skills tothe second level and created an arctic with very deep water and a sea floor to explore. Another version came from that which included a sub pen. They still use this one to date. Next one I made was an island surrounded by water. It was meant for building and had an airport plus a deep sea floor. There was a second smaller island with a few houses on it.

Inbetween these I was working on an older rp map called Acreditar which I was hoping Pulsar Effect would use as sgt. Sickness was being slow or something. I never finished it. I was also working on a city sort of for a gamemode I wanted to make called GMHP or Garrys Mod Hot Persuit (a cops n robber chase game) but I never finished it or the gamemode.

Finally I got into OC where frosty needed some help with Cosmos City. I built several buildings and made the sewers (including the pesky manholes). I helped optimize it and clean it up too.

That got finished and a plan for CosmosCity2 was in effect. It was lead by me and planned for the serious gamemode. I decided that cosmos city was too unrealistic and almost a month of deciding got the name Rockford. That's up to date.

Over those years, I've learnt things from displacements to areaportals to I/O sequences to make things like traffic lights and learnt about making/using custom textures. I also know the tricks and secrets to map efficiently, realistically, and optimized. I can even get proper lighting and soundscapes to make things even more real.

TL;DR, I've mapped for amost 5 years and am working on Rockford which is a RLRP map for CGRP.

Offline [FPSN]Bokslag

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 06:38:03 PM »
Well... Not sure If i rally count but... I decided to try mapping and I am having a lot of fun with it. Right now I'm working on a simple 4 story apartment building... So hi
C45.CCA.APEX-01.725 says "<:: It's not a skirt."
C45.CCA.APEX-01.725 says "<:: It's a dress."

Offline Bromine

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 10:43:58 PM »
Sweet, got any screenshots of it in Hammer?

Offline [FPSN]Bokslag

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 10:51:14 PM »
No not yet. Still cant figure out how to make all the textures look good and shit. I kinda suck at mapping  ;D

Offline Bromine

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 11:04:56 PM »
I could help you if you want.

Offline [FPSN]Bokslag

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 11:45:39 PM »
Well the problem is that, I'm not sure what to do with a BIG building. What I did was make two blocks for each wall... Each sort of small. The outside is brick and the inside is plaster. But the fact that it's one block makes it look ugly on a big scale... Even when I make it so it doesnt repeat or whatever... I'll edit with a screenie in a sec
Edit: Heres a link http://steamcommunity.com/id/bokslagkids/screenshots/
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 11:50:37 PM by Joost66 »

Offline Snapster

• VIP
  • Awards [GMR2 Award] City Circuit Record
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 03:08:04 AM »
I'm Snapster, been mapping for about 3 years, currently have 1.5k hrs in source sdk. I have never released a map of my own :P. I worked on perp_sierracity with wronkles; I designed some of the buildings for that map, like the dealership, firestation, etc.

I am currently working on a RP map most of you guys have seen my map (Rp_Carcery). I was making it for a community but that community died.  I know pretty much everything that deals with hammer. I love helping people with hammer/building things in hammer.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 12:18:56 PM »
Update us on Carcary plox

Offline Snapster

• VIP
  • Awards [GMR2 Award] City Circuit Record
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 05:55:08 PM »
okay, I just started working on it again. I will update you guys :P.

Offline guard

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 09:06:56 PM »
I have worked with level designing since 2002 for the GoldSource engine for different Half-Life modifications, including Counter-Strike (1.5 and 1.6). In 2005 I started working with the Source engine both in level designing and programming.

I have released two maps overall, but they got deleted in the database of the website where I posted them, due to new database (gamebanana).

I am currently looking into new techniques of design styles and also looking into release a new series of level designs where I use different techniques — you have to wait for that :)

I am into random designs, but whenever I design a map that is intended to be released to public I always draw this up — first on paper, then Photoshop. It's important for me, that I have something to follow while designing, same as graphics.

I have also worked on several custom compilers (BSP, VIS, CSG and RAD) from existing projects (such as ZHLT and MHLT) so I do programming too. Currently I am looking into working with Nem's HLLib to create useful tools for my work.

If you have any questions about above, feel free to ask. I will try to answer you as good as I can.

TONY WHITE
CEO, HARBOR COUNCIL

Offline [ECO] ReaPeR

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 05:03:58 PM »
Hi,im reaper i have been mapping for several year now,not consistant and have made a lot of jailbreak maps,most of them are not very popular yet,if you ever played on -ToG- jailbreak you may remember them.I also have made a few glass maps km_alphaglass,it was on the killme WoW mod server if you ever played that.

Offline James

• VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 01:08:16 PM »
Im james and I make cool maps you dont want to play, I don't release my work anyways.
I'm James - derp

Offline Darkshifter98

• Flipper of Elephants
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 10:48:26 PM »
Well my name is Darkshifter98. I started mapping around 2010 and I'm still learning but I would say I'm pretty good at it but not that good. The current map I'm making is one that could be used for HL2RP (CG doesn't have to use it if they don't want to) and for movie making purposes. I also hope they we can all work together one way or another.
\\\"Hold right bumper to flip... wait, what? How did you do that?\\\"

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 12:13:25 AM »
MY LIVESTREAM: Http://www.livestream.com/bromine
Your link should be;
Bromine' Live Stream
You cap'd the H and therefor it fails.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal