Author Topic: Two city servers  (Read 5492 times)

The Mysterious Stranger

Two city servers
« on: August 05, 2012, 11:17:56 PM »
 "Two city maps? Are you fucking serious?! Dude, we can't implement that into the game!" Yes, I know that but how about two city servers? For example, one server contains a large district of City45 where the Combine Civil Authority, citizens, loyalists can lurk about. The other server contains another large district that is part of City45 where the rebellion and Resistance can do their shit without no harm from the Universal Union and their participants. It's quite the hard choice to think about though but don't forget this: "Anything can be possible." It's true, right? Garrysmod 13 will be suitable for this kind of option.

If you played Half-Life 2, you will remember that going to the next map will cause the LOADING word to pop up. Why not connect to this map which connects to another map? If the playerbase is too high for one server, then one individual cannot enter the map unless there is one free slot. No free slots? Then he cannot enter the other server and he has to stay in his current server.

Server 1 ------> Server 2      Server 2 -------> Server 1
 Players: 30/50                     Players: 20/50

Server 1 or 2 ----x----> Server 1 or 2
 Players: 50/50

Get my drift?

Now, since the city is too big for one map. Two servers will be much more better for one map for one server and another map for one other server. Once a player crosses a line, he will have the choice to either head back to Server 1 or stay in Server 2. Something like in videogames where one player can access another location while pressing A on a door.

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Two city servers
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 04:43:10 AM »
While I'm not a HL2RP player, I can honestly say that this isn't needed.

I have always loved the idea of having servers interact with each other. It's entirely possible to have a person switch servers upon going into an area, however, we don't have the playerbase justify it. We can barely ever keep the city server above 50% much less two servers. Outlands already accomplishes this goal, and works in roughly the same way but with more administrative intervention.

There's also problems to take into account, such as a person being chased from one server to another. In a perfect world both players would spawn in the same interval as when they connected, however, that isn't going to happen. Latency and computer resources affect this to such an extent that running away from a crime is as simple as server swapping.

It's not practical and not needed. Again, I don't play HL2RP so I'm speaking from just an observer point of view, and that point of view tells me it wont' happen.

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 09:59:45 AM »
This kinda goes against what makes HL2RP, it takes away the survival elements that come with Civil Protection keeping tabs on everything going on. If we just let lulwebuls to run around killing and raping, IN THE CITY, on a different server, free of danger. No way will that be needed and all it will accomplish (besides lulwebuls running around doing non-canon stuff) is a divided playerbase and no more tension for anyone; no fear of Anti-Citizens from units and civvies and no fear of the CCA from criminals.

**Insert poorly made signature with fire, lens flares and obnoxious text**

The Mysterious Stranger

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 11:03:08 AM »
 You make a good point. Although, I don't exactly want the rebels to have their "own" freedom. I thought that the CCA should handle more sweeps on that server, loyalists wandering around and spying on them, citizens beating the crap out of them to smuggle weaponry and uniforms, some zombies, headcrabs, antlions and everything around them at some times. The rebels will mostly stay in places that are covered by doors. Most Universal Union technology can be seen around the perimeter like security turrets to Combine units on Overwatch towers.

Something like that but meh.

Offline Dallas

• Bowties Are Cool
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 11:20:52 AM »
While I can see your point, your idea does have a few good ideas, we are going off a canon here also, the kind of destruction an Anti-Civil Server would promote would be on par with the Uprising/Battle for City 17, ie: A completely against the series timeline idea for that to go on INSIDE the perimeter of an urban zone in 2016. As for the Antlion/zombie idea, about 95% of any wandering Xen lifeforms would be vaporized by the defense grid before they arrived in City 45, the only reason we see them in-game is due to the massive failure and collapse of the grid because of the Uprising.

**Insert poorly made signature with fire, lens flares and obnoxious text**

Offline codex

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 03:36:51 AM »
I would have to agree with Someone77, I think server hopping would present itself as a problem no matter how you looked at it. Although the idea is a attractive one, it simply cannot work.

Offline Yak

• tupac is my life
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 03:45:59 AM »
Why does all that this thread strikes me as is outlands.

Offline Scratchie

• test
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Re: Two city servers
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 03:48:42 AM »
Why does all that this thread strikes me as is outlands.
Strikes me as TNB.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk 2

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal