Author Topic: HRP Duplicator stuff, Simplistic fixes for simplistic problems.  (Read 3978 times)

Offline Xanuch

• VIP
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
HRP Duplicator stuff, Simplistic fixes for simplistic problems.
« on: October 28, 2012, 10:08:32 PM »
As in the title, it's simple. Duplicator in gmod 13 is as dangerous as it is fixable.

I know many of you've done in beta, is save guns and ammo so you can use them in the servers that don't spawn with em. Since HRP runs off of FPP (Falco's prop protection), there's a handy dandy duplicator model blacklist!

Right now (10/28/12) duplicator is SUPERadmin only, meaning nobody can use it except them. Exploits? always. Problems? Sometimes. Things that mandate it being removed from a relatively unstable gamemode? Never.

I say this for good reason, because I'm sure there's a good reason that it was banned from everyone in the first place.
My suggestion for fixing the problems for any of the following questions. (I'll check for edits later if you have any questions thereafter)

Q) People spawning weapons and ruining the gamemode, do what now? D:!
A) Weapons are based off entities with models, right? Block the model, block the entity. Simple! (FPP has a model blacklist separate for duplicator and Q Menu spawning)

Q) What about those lagbombs that crash servers?
A) FPP again has an anti-spam for such an occasion. a lot of the time its easily catchable, because gmod 13 is extremely refined now, but for those sneaky exploits that not even a veteran like myself know can be caught. FPP is gonna have to be a Nazi on complicated things for duplicator, so it's a sacrifice for regulation.
Tl;dr FPP can ghost the dupe and forces the minge to interact, therefore giving a good idea if somethin's up before it gets too bad, and next time being banned of props being abused.

Q) People keep spawning crap like NPCs and Bouncy balls! What now?
A) As I've stated before, model blacklists through FPP are the sexiest things alive. Also, its a good thing it filters entities too.

Q) Somehow someone managed to get a map entity that wasn't supposed to be here, and it's creating a massive disadvantage!
A) Here's how it works. Someone gets sneaky about somethin' in a map. A few known exploits (albeit uncommon) Are people getting map entities from de-compiled maps. In HRP, the gamemode is really handling pretty much everything. So half the stuff in the duplicator actually wont copy over,  because it isn't the same.

I'm not saying we ban every prop and blacklist it because it's exploitable. I'm suggesting we take care of the commonplace and easy to reach abuses so the average minge with a braincell or two can't do it.

For you TL;DR people for this post, get out. You cant just skim a thread like this and then ask stupid questions.

Offline Scratchie

• test
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: HRP Duplicator stuff, Simplistic fixes for simplistic problems.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 12:33:21 AM »
Blacklisting a model will not blacklist the entity. Only will disallow the model to be spawned.

Entitys spawn, then the server applies the model.

Offline alaskan thunderfuck

• Owner
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 02:26:39 AM »
Duplicator was being planned on reallowed as soon as Tomasas got around to fixing the issues with spawning things you shouldn't.
Please don't PM me regarding bans or anything having to do with in-game situations. Only PM me if you've been told I am the only one who can solve your issue.

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [GMR2 Award] 100 MPH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 02:33:13 AM »
I know up to 5 different insta server crash exploits that only use a single common prop with the duplicator. So don't tell me exploits can be blokked.

Besides, this isn't just about exploits. But imagine the server being full with 40 players. (Which is every day since GM13) Then everyone spawns their 20 prop boats over and over again. Imagine the lag already? Good.

<::[[ Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2 ]]::>
Check out my Youtube channel with all kinds of cool videos including LP's which I'm currently working at. Don't forget to give feedback as well. ;)

Offline Xanuch

• VIP
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 07:01:35 PM »
I see your point, but the whole 20 prop boat is antispammed, therefore they have to physically work every prop again. Despite that, of course there's a lot of single prop stuff that crashes servers. That isn't the point to my means, and I guess its not what it used to be about model blacklists blocking ents :x

Oh well, at least it was a suggestion / idea / shot in the dark

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal