Author Topic: ATTENTION ALL GAMERS - They're trying to censor the internet again. Please Read!  (Read 7185 times)

Offline Klashy

• ( . Y . )
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards

NO SIGN UP IS REQUIRED TO SIGN THE PETITION, JUST A SIMPLE ONE STEP FORM.

SIGN THE PETITION --> https://www.google.com/takeaction/

On December 3rd through the 14th the world's leading technological experts from around the globe will convene in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, to discuss the Internet.

These meetings will include many countries who will all have a vote in matters suggested. Some of these countries do not share the freedoms that the United States, United Kingdom, and others share. Some countries, like Russia, want to put harsh regulations on the Internet that would restrict world wide Internet use. (http://bit.ly/Xyswui)

Google has put pressure on the United States' Government and other governments to keep their Internet Free and Open. If you haven't signed their petition yet then go to https://www.google.com/takeaction/ to tell your government to keep its Internet Free and Open.

“A free and open world depends on a free and open Internet. Governments alone, working behind closed doors, should not direct its future. The billions of people around the globe who use the Internet should have a voice.”

I for one have all ready signed the petition, I encourge those who enjoy FREE VOICED internet to do the same! Takes no time!

-- Klashy

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I have some bad news for you if you think people will stop governments sir

Offline Klashy

• ( . Y . )
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Tis a company of democracy, we can atleast try our best to sign the petition.

Offline LG-IM.Swagger

• Given 250 Credits and all I get was this fucking title?
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
* Sab looks at /r/technology...

Nope, this is a crock of shit.

Offline Mr Jive

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
After a quick google search didn't see much related to this, honestly if you want me to sign your petition your going to have to give a little more information and try not to be so unambiguous. Who is actually attending this "convention"? The first image says the Worlds leaders, what does that mean? Representatives of each country that would attend the UN? Or perhaps their actual elected leaders, so are the presidents and premiers from over 200 countries going to all head over to Dubai to discuss something as trivial as Internet Censorship, especially in light of all the other issues the Governments are having trouble with at the moment.

Last point I googled the first line that you wrote and it appears to be showing up on numerous websites so I can assume that this is a copy pasta that people are spreading around. Either you are too lazy to post on more information so we can all get the big picture or that you heard the words Internet censorship and petition and you automatically jumped on the band wagon.

In fact another point, the information put forward makes little sense. Firstly we have 'leading technological experts', this conflicts with the point in the image which states leaders, on top of that if they are technological experts then they probably have a much better idea of the situation then all the people who have access to the internet.

Alright I now looked further into the website and its the International Telecommunication Union event (http://www.itu.int/en/wcit-12/Pages/overview.aspx) link there if you are interested. After looking at that I can confirm that this post is speculating bullshit. With a tad of racism! Nice that you bough Russia into this despite being fairly relaxed about Internet policy.

Honestly let the experts talk and quit speculating about a 1984 government where God forbid you might not be able to get data for free that is intellectual property of others. How horrid our lives might be :(

EDIT: Another point this is taken from their website on the matter of censorship.

Internet enforcement I believe covers more along the lines of - Keeping hackers out of foreign affairs, stopping spamers, phishers and all other manner of internet scam rings and trying to prevent anything illegal that is actually harmful - as in actually stealing money from people banks or whatever. Try to be open minded about these things and always do your homework first.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 11:16:23 AM by St Panda King »
OCRP IC name: Rudy Smith

Offline Klashy

• ( . Y . )
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
This information is copy pasted. The petition is not one that I made on my own. The picture to me is skeptical, it may very well be horse shit.

The only thing that I found viable about this is that Google.com is promoting this information, as it can be found on their website.

I highly doubt www.google.com would just lol make something like this.

When I discovered this, I didn't want others to feel ignorant so I decided to copy paste the information to you guys, from exactly what I saw.

Putting the picture was a major mistake, it INSTANTLY deknowns the entire aspect.

Sorry if this inconvienced any of you.

Offline Mr Jive

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
This information is copy pasted. The petition is not one that I made on my own. The picture to me is skeptical, it may very well be horse shit.

The only thing that I found viable about this is that Google.com is promoting this information, as it can be found on their website.

I highly doubt www.google.com would just lol make something like this.

When I discovered this, I didn't want others to feel ignorant so I decided to copy paste the information to you guys, from exactly what I saw.

Putting the picture was a major mistake, it INSTANTLY deknowns the entire aspect.

Sorry if this inconvienced any of you.

No problem and I get what you are saying about Google. Google has become something of an omniscient force in the Internet world in recent times, we trust Google and we use it constantly. But Google is still a private business that is out looking for profit, no matter what your philosophical view points on Google are this is fact. As long as an action won't cost too much (and I doubt much costs too much for Google) and as long as it doesn't have any negative effects on their value. So Google either made this simply to secure their interests and make sure that this convention in Dubai, also to bring to attention that their interests are important - Google is a huge contributor to the American economy and the American Government would be wise to do as they say. Still I really don't think any major concerns are being bought up by this Convention - it seems more like a standard convention for a complicated subject, the only bit of censorship is where they are trying to deal with Illegal activities on the Internet.

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [GMR2 Award] 100 MPH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
75% of all Americans believe every bullshit they read.

You need to understand the internet better and figure out that it's impossible to censor it.
Check out my Youtube channel with all kinds of cool videos including LP's which I'm currently working at. Don't forget to give feedback as well. ;)

Offline FanaticWarren

• ElitistFag
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards

You need to understand the internet better and figure out that it's impossible to censor it.

Pretty much all that needs to be said. There's no way they can censor Billions of websites, and monitor everyone's activities on the internet.

System Specs
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core processor @ 4.6 ghz
RAM: AMD Radeon™ RP1866 Performance Series 16GB
PSU: Ultra X4 750W
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked + PNY GTX 550 TI for physx core

Offline Mr Jive

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards

Pretty much all that needs to be said. There's no way they can censor Billions of websites, and monitor everyone's activities on the internet.

Technically they could block billions of websites, quite easily. But there would be no real reason too and it would make whoever did it very unpopular.

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The intended result, when speaking of Internet Censorship, is making the platform for the web the same as television.

You want youtube? $2/mo
Gmail? Free*
News? $0.55/mo
Hulu? $1/mo

It would be an Internet where we don't get to create a website in our basement and make it available to the world, you have to pay for DNS hosting and domains are regulated to the T. It's not possible? You're deluded.

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The intended result, when speaking of Internet Censorship, is making the platform for the web the same as television.

You want youtube? $2/mo
Gmail? Free*
News? $0.55/mo
Hulu? $1/mo

It would be an Internet where we don't get to create a website in our basement and make it available to the world, you have to pay for DNS hosting and domains are regulated to the T. It's not possible? You're deluded.

while this is the main/top/most obvious side of things, the entire internet will never be censored entirely with projects like TOR and project meshnet

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [GMR2 Award] 100 MPH
    • View Profile
    • Awards

You want youtube? $2/mo
Gmail? Free*
News? $0.55/mo
Hulu? $1/mo

Silly thing to say because no one owns the internet.
You already pay for your internet provides which loans you access to the internet. What happens on the internet is non of any country's government business. They don't own it. No one does.
So if anyone decides to claim the internet unrightfully and start to make us pay for it, is like taking away the sun and people have to pay you for a little bit of sun.
Check out my Youtube channel with all kinds of cool videos including LP's which I'm currently working at. Don't forget to give feedback as well. ;)

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards

You want youtube? $2/mo
Gmail? Free*
News? $0.55/mo
Hulu? $1/mo

Silly thing to say because no one owns the internet.
You already pay for your internet provides which loans you access to the internet. What happens on the internet is non of any country's government business. They don't own it. No one does.
So if anyone decides to claim the internet unrightfully and start to make us pay for it, is like taking away the sun and people have to pay you for a little bit of sun.

Do you know how IPs work and are (were...) assigned? groups own them, they're not just made up randomly, governments could quite easily control the "main" consumer internet if they wanted

Offline Scratchie

• test
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Its the new age browser war but instead of browsers is governments

Sent from my Thundertalk using TapaBolt 2

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal