Author Topic: Change your steam passwords.  (Read 6007 times)

Offline TheKrusader

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Change your steam passwords.
« on: November 11, 2011, 09:45:57 AM »
Apparently Steam was hacked yesterday, so I highly recommend you change your steam passwords and other information.

Proof: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/10/steam-database-hacked-encrypted-credit-card-information-and-passwords-compromised/

Offline SoapANator

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Change your steam passwords.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 09:55:30 AM »
Danke, Chaning it  right now.
Former Characters:
Jimmy Valtizno - Civil Protection memeber for six months. Highest rank achived: EpU in APEX. Cause of Death: Shot, for attempted suicide.
Konstatine Ivanov - Held in prison cell for Anti-Civil activity for several months. Unkown if he's dead or alive.

MIA Characters
Gregory 'Death' Nikitn- Last seen wondering acorss the Outlands, in a critical state.
Zoe Kriyake - Has not been heard in weeks. Possibly re-located to C-18

Alive Characters
Pavalo Anodov - Wondering C18, unsure

Offline deXterous | KaB00M!

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 10:00:17 AM »
Yeah, I posted it on the shoutbox 12 hours ago, but always good to know :) I think our credit card information are safe :) And as long as you have Steam Guard, I doubt much will happen, but always good to be on the safe side  :)

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [GMR2 Award] 100 MPH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 10:19:35 AM »
My steam password is unique, meaning I don't use it anywhere else. I also have steam guard, so no one is ever able to get on my account without my approval.
Check out my Youtube channel with all kinds of cool videos including LP's which I'm currently working at. Don't forget to give feedback as well. ;)

Offline Uubucks

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 10:25:45 AM »
Steamguard here too.  But a long password with everything works too.

Offline Crap-Head

• #OCRP2
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 10:35:17 AM »
No.

Lets take a close look at the message.

10 November 2011
Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users:

Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums.

We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.

We don’t have evidence of credit card misuse at this time. Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely.

While we only know of a few forum accounts that have been compromised, all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they login. If you have used your Steam forum password on other accounts you should change those passwords as well.

We do not know of any compromised Steam accounts, so we are not planning to force a change of Steam account passwords (which are separate from forum passwords). However, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to change that as well, especially if it is the same as your Steam forum account password.

We will reopen the forums as soon as we can.

I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Gabe.

I doubt more than 10 activate forum users at CG has a steam FORUM account so there is no need to change your password and IF you have a steam forum account, you just need to change that password and THEN if you use it on your steam account then you need to change that as well.
Please do not add me on Steam because you have in-game problems. Make a thread in the correct board on the forum and i will respond to that whenever i have time.

Offline Uubucks

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 10:36:35 AM »
I don't join much forums, I just lurk.

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 10:56:37 AM »
No.

We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in >>addition<< to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.

I doubt more than 10 activate forum users at CG has a steam FORUM account so there is no need to change your password and IF you have a steam forum account, you just need to change that password and THEN if you use it on your steam account then you need to change that as well.

crap head pls read!! also: "We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums."

As long as your password isnt under 5 characters and all lower case, you don't have to worry, hashed & salted with a secure upper/lower and numerical password is going to take millions of years to crack (not joking)

« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 11:03:51 AM by Smt DeCarlo »

Offline TheKrusader

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 11:26:50 AM »
No.

We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in >>addition<< to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.

crap head pls read!! also: "We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums."

As long as your password isnt under 5 characters and all lower case, you don't have to worry, hashed & salted with a secure upper/lower and numerical password is going to take millions of years to crack (not joking)

This.

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 04:21:44 PM »
Just so everyone knows, Gabe has said that steam will, upon next start, prompt you to change your password.

Offline knoxed

• #YOLO
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Junkie [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 04:27:45 PM »
He also mentioed that they will give out some free Portal 2 and DOTA 2 keys.

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 05:04:36 PM »
Dota 2 yes please

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [GMR2 Award] 100 MPH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 06:27:20 PM »
Just so everyone knows, Gabe has said that steam will, upon next start, prompt you to change your password.
Restarted steam. No password change bullshit.
Check out my Youtube channel with all kinds of cool videos including LP's which I'm currently working at. Don't forget to give feedback as well. ;)

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 06:32:56 PM »
While we only know of a few forum accounts that have been compromised, all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they login. If you have used your Steam forum password on other accounts you should change those passwords as well.

Sorry, meant forum passwords.

Offline deXterous | KaB00M!

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 06:53:40 PM »
oh lol, can't even remember what username I used to sign onto Steam Forums, neither the e-mail... o.o fuck me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal