Author Topic: Creative events? Another rant brought to you by Hazard  (Read 3174 times)

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Creative events? Another rant brought to you by Hazard
« on: July 16, 2012, 03:05:07 PM »
I was looking over the list of suggested events today, and the list was something like this:

Infection
Infection
Infection
Uprising
Rogue Unit
Infection
Infection
Tea Party

If you are going to post an event suggestion, PLEASE have some originality and creativity.  Just because you're playing a video game does not mean you need bullets flying at you.  If you want to get shot at, I really don't need to tell you where to go (Overused Dark RP insult is overused).  However, that tea party looks nice :)

Offline Toxilium

• Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Creative events? Another rant brought to you by Hazard
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 03:09:30 PM »
I second this motion.

Why no public gatherings in the square for a peaceful protest? A funeral for a PK'd character a lot of people knew? A high-up Combine commander comes to visit and holds a Loyalist parade?

Offline [WDZ] LavaLord4

• w h a t
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 05:06:12 PM »
I would really like the Loyalist parade. Perhaps admins could make this happen...?

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 02:30:34 AM »
A parade of any kind is asking for mingelution.  Suddenly, everyone in the plaza asspulls beer bottles or rocks and tosses them at the paraders, CPs chase after them, but they obviously minge run away, CPs shoot and kill minges, minges respawn, rinse and repeat.  Really, while I much prefer passive RP suggestions, a lot of them would be impossible because of the immaturity of a lot of the players on the HL2RP server.  As far as I have seen, the only passive events that even seem like they have a chance of working out are the loyalist only events, such as the tea party I talked about below.  Look it up in the events forum, but a tea party with loyalists, CWU, and CAs guarded by OTA sounds like a very good event for me.  Not only is passive RP happening, but OTA are watching over it and keeping minges out.

Offline Toxilium

• Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 03:41:09 PM »
A parade of any kind is asking for mingelution.  Suddenly, everyone in the plaza asspulls beer bottles or rocks and tosses them at the paraders, CPs chase after them, but they obviously minge run away, CPs shoot and kill minges, minges respawn, rinse and repeat.  Really, while I much prefer passive RP suggestions, a lot of them would be impossible because of the immaturity of a lot of the players on the HL2RP server.  As far as I have seen, the only passive events that even seem like they have a chance of working out are the loyalist only events, such as the tea party I talked about below.  Look it up in the events forum, but a tea party with loyalists, CWU, and CAs guarded by OTA sounds like a very good event for me.  Not only is passive RP happening, but OTA are watching over it and keeping minges out.

You complain about the lack of good suggestions, but then refute a good suggestion made in the form of a parade. Afterward, you insert your own suggestion of Loyalist-only events.

You may or may not know what you're doing, but it seems like you just created this thread to justify your own event suggestions as better than other people's.

Also roleplay is roleplay. Can we stop with this active/passive division?

Offline tdabamf1

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 10:58:07 PM »
UPRISING.

Anyways, I always make fun stuff to do on my citizen characters, but I'm not your average citizen character. Me and my friend usually team up together to make MurderRP in the UCH buildings, and it always gets sick and I spawn blood all over the walls to make it look like a disgusting murder. It's good RP for civil protection, and trust me we get bored a lot. :]

Offline Nifae

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 04:42:22 PM »
During my stay at other communities, there's been some good events that've stuck with me.

One, during the time I was in SHIELD, a medical squad, we set up an outpost in the canals and, in a humanitarian effort, allowed the rebels to come and surrender any weapons and vests they had. We fed them and sent them back to the city unharmed. A lot of the more known rebels came, but the objective of the event wasn't to continue some petty faction deathmatch, but to create roleplay. We had quality passive roleplay for several hours before the event eventually ended.

Also, it's important to remember how drastically weather can effect the environment. It's something that most people fail to roleplay, but it can really bring people together if done correctly. Blizzards, storms, hurricanes and such. Maybe a group of citizens and units get snowed into a building and have to ration supplies till they find a way out, eventually learning to trust eachother, etc.

Offline Orange - Cisco Certified

• aSK mE aBOUT mY pENIS
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 05:12:37 PM »
Citizens hate being shoved into a building for long periods of time. The same thing is done to them constantly.

Offline Nifae

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 05:15:46 PM »
Hence why I said "if done correctly."

Stuffing them into a room or making them wait on the wall for hours isn't doing it right. There's got to be an active protagonist or antagonist, or simply one or more people consistently creating roleplay for the huddled mass of citizens. In an ideal situation they'd all flourish and their roleplay would blossom among one another, but it appears it normally takes some nudging, or simply someone willing to go all out and make the situation interesting. If you don't have people actively causing roleplay and interaction amongst the people, they'll simply run around, sit in a corner alone, and eventually disconnect.

Offline Theouhe

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 05:28:32 PM »
^ This is exactly right.

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 07:29:19 PM »

You complain about the lack of good suggestions, but then refute a good suggestion made in the form of a parade. Afterward, you insert your own suggestion of Loyalist-only events.

You may or may not know what you're doing, but it seems like you just created this thread to justify your own event suggestions as better than other people's.

Also roleplay is roleplay. Can we stop with this active/passive division?

I wasn't promoting my event suggestions, I have no events to suggest.  This event as suggested by someone else that I thought had an original idea.  The reason I created this thread was to tell people that events don't have to be action packed.  In my opinion, when the Castle was opened, that served as an event that I approve of (If my approval counts as anything).  The only reason why I disapprove of action events (Other than most of them being unoriginal) is that they attract fail RPers.  Of course, all events do this, one could say the SERVER attracts fail RPers.  I don't care.  All I ask for is an original, constructive event.

Offline Lone Wanderer <??"?

• The one and only.
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 10:21:19 PM »
Loyalist gathers are excellent ideas, actually. It creates some varying roleplay for loyal citizens, CCA units, Civil workers, and possibly even anti-citizens (If you're into crashing parties n' all. Better have the stuff to back that up though ;)). I'm do like the idea of a parade however. I feel that a high-ranking Civil Administrator would be more fit of an object for that kind of action. Possibly a public showing of City 45's consuler? Maybe even throw in an attempted assasination in for people who need their fill of guns going off.

Current Characters:
Abdul Sadek - Unregistered citizen, currently near City 18.
Monica Halleway - A seemingly crazy woman roaming the plaza.

Former HL2RP-Characters:
Jennifer Hanson - Former trader now involved with the Lambda Movement in City 17.
'091' - A former rogue medical unit now on the Combine Homeworld. Or is she?
Michael 'Y' Eloriga - A wanted criminal located in City 17, frequently spotted on rooftops.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal