Author Topic: A Few Things on CCA Unit Personal Logs  (Read 5044 times)

Offline Airborne1st

• I'm White
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
A Few Things on CCA Unit Personal Logs
« on: May 09, 2012, 12:17:55 PM »
I sometimes read the private logs and personal files that people post in the IC section, not to metagame, but just to read them because sometimes they're nice to read. One thing I've noticed in some of them though, and this goes all the way back to the creation of this idea, but sometimes people start to glorify themselves in their personal logs. Their logs are good and well written, but the stories they tell often make themselves look far better than they ICly are in reality. An example of what I'm saying is you occasionally find a unit's logs and they're somewhere between the rank of recruit, and 03. The stories they tell don't go along with how you're expected to act at those ranks. You'll see the occasional log of an 04, or 05 where they talk about how easy its getting to kill citizens and beat them. You shouldn't be getting desensitized to that until you're AT LEAST an 01, and that's when you should START getting used to it. I also see a fair amount of self glorification when it comes to training and practice of things. You may see a Commander with a ceremonial sword, or a personalized revolver, or something along those lines that they've come across it one way or another in their extremely long service record. That's not a problem, because they're a Commander and have earned such things. It seems to be a problem though, when you have recruits, 05's, 04's, and even 03's talking about their newest special weapon that they've personalized to make them seem more bad ass or more powerful.

Having an engraved weapon as a low rank isn't the biggest part of the problem though, the problem is what stems from this sort of thing. Its a slippery slope from when you first start engraving your weapons or getting them gold plated as an 05 or 04, to going to being Neo, dual wielding gold plated engraved pistols with marks on them for each man you've killed with them. It leads to an elitist mentality to glorify yourself at a low rank, and even at any rank. It leads you to think you're equal those above you and those at your level are below you. You begin to base your authority off of your abilities and your personalized weaponry, instead of the rank you hold.

I've also seen a lot of people talking about how they blatantly disregard CCA rules in their logs. They give examples of things they've done that they hope High Command doesn't catch them for. Sure, that's part of RP and its an acceptable form of it, but I've seen a few people even talk about committing UPA with citizens in their logs, or thinking about flirting with other units in their logs, or trying to become friends with certain High Command members to get special privileges, and other things along those lines. Basically, people are admitting to  breaking CCA rules, some of which would get them OWR'd and probably blacklisted, and others are admitting to thinking about breaking CCA rules.

I know opposition to this post will say, "You can RP whatever you want as a unit, even having sex." That's correct, you can RP anything you want pretty much, as long as its within reason. If you wanted to, you could RP raping someone on your unit. People are saying things in their logs that make me wonder what kind of things our units are actually doing though. You can say, "Units can break the CCA rules and get away with it, as long as they don't get caught." That's correct, but the issue is that if people are breaking CCA rules and talking about it in their logs, that means people are doing things that we don't want them doing, which means if enough people go around disregarding CCA rules that units must follow or face punishment, then it helps to make the CCA look bad and function bad.

You wouldn't have a police station where 1/3 of the officers there keep private logs talking about how they've broken the laws they swore to follow, or where they talk about how they'd like to have sex with so and so, or where they talk about how they'd like to do this or that, but don't want to get in trouble, or where they talk about getting on the police chief's good side so they can get by with things later. Why wouldn't you have that or want such a thing happening? Because it would degrade the quality of your local law enforcement. Sure, things happen from time to time, but if you compare it to the CCA we have on the server, too many people are talking about these sort of things.

I'm not posting this to make changes, or force people to change their logs, but to bring something I've seen too much of to light. Everyone claims they'll serve the Union till their last breath and obey all their laws and rules as a unit when they apply for the CCA, yet when they get in, they talk about how many of those rules and laws they've broken as a unit, and then glorify themselves when they're a citizen in a suit. I know the logs are IC and posted mostly for people to enjoy reading, but they're supposed to be a reflection of your actual experiences, and I can't say that I'm enjoying reading logs where units talk about their thoughts of breaking CCA laws and rules, which is what makes the CCA shit. 

I apologize for any grammatical errors or misspellings, as I did not proof-read this before posting it.

Offline Globey

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: A Few Things on CCA Unit Personal Logs
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 12:41:28 PM »
Well said, Air, well said indeed.
I think a lot of the problem regarding bragging about rule breaking comes from the whole 'herp derp I'm (x), so I get to have written logs'. Level one verdicts need to be given to units found keeping journals through RP.
In general, it's interesting to read about peoples' character development; it's also concerning to see bragging about rule breaking.
C45.CCA.GRID-DvL.604 - Healthy - Executing citizens. Tally: 4
John Gatsby - Healthy - Celebrating, having detonated an explosive melon in front of two CA's

--------------------------
Cutlass, Sail and Cannon:
Ernest Cumberbatch, Port Royal, Governor. Governing.
John Gatsby, of the brigantine Brimstone. Amputating Limbs

Offline Airborne1st

• I'm White
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 02:07:59 PM »
Well said, Air, well said indeed.
I think a lot of the problem regarding bragging about rule breaking comes from the whole 'herp derp I'm (x), so I get to have written logs'. Level one verdicts need to be given to units found keeping journals through RP.
In general, it's interesting to read about peoples' character development; it's also concerning to see bragging about rule breaking.

You touched on another thing that I tried to stay away from, but is an issue that is bothering me quite a bit and its the elitism generated from the mentality of being in certain divisions. I've seen logs that people have written where they state that because they're in X division, they think or are hinting at the idea that they have or think they may have special privileges and can get by with things. This is another factor in some of these units glorifying themselves in their logs and as you said, thinking its okay for them to break rules and have ideas about breaking rules.

Also, I've always understood the system to work in a way which you could not act a certain way at a certain rank, such as you can't act like you're desensitized to violence or killing as a recruit, 05, 04, 03, 02, or even an 01 really, or act like you have the accuracy of a sniper at any rank below OfC, or act like you're Neo from the Matrix at any rank lower than SeC. There seems to be too much of this sort of display being demonstrated in many logs.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:16:16 PM by Airborne1st »

Offline ?AG-CL? Sheo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 02:16:57 PM »
Might have well posted this on my logs, bud. That being said if you're upset about my character literally everything that's written in there has happened ICly.

1) It's NOT an overexaggeration that he's being personally trained by a Commander,
2) He was authorized by the Sectorial Commander himself to carry dual pistols,
3) The whole 'Notch under my pistols' thing was metaphorical, he doesn't put any tallies or anything else on his weapons,
4) Breaking IC CCA Laws is purely IC, and as such you really won't get BL'd for it unless you do some really stupid shit,
5) Again, EVERYTHING IN MY LOGS, has happened ICly. I've had multiple hand to hand skirmishes with a COTA Unit, I've been shot, stabbed, my face cut open, Grenaded, Attacked by a vortigaunt and more.
6) Character progression happens DYNAMICALLY, because every character is DIFFERENT.
7) If members of a certain division are told to keep paper copy logs, they're told to keep paper copy logs. Deal with it.

And last but not least, Number 8: Don't try to roleplay other's characters for them.

Thank you.

Offline Airborne1st

• I'm White
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 03:09:11 PM »
Might have well posted this on my logs, bud. That being said if you're upset about my character literally everything that's written in there has happened ICly.

1) It's NOT an overexaggeration that he's being personally trained by a Commander,
2) He was authorized by the Sectorial Commander himself to carry dual pistols,
3) The whole 'Notch under my pistols' thing was metaphorical, he doesn't put any tallies or anything else on his weapons,
4) Breaking IC CCA Laws is purely IC, and as such you really won't get BL'd for it unless you do some really stupid shit,
5) Again, EVERYTHING IN MY LOGS, has happened ICly. I've had multiple hand to hand skirmishes with a COTA Unit, I've been shot, stabbed, my face cut open, Grenaded, Attacked by a vortigaunt and more.
6) Character progression happens DYNAMICALLY, because every character is DIFFERENT.
7) If members of a certain division are told to keep paper copy logs, they're told to keep paper copy logs. Deal with it.

And last but not least, Number 8: Don't try to roleplay other's characters for them.

Thank you.

Your logs are merely one of many that state what I'm talking about in my post. I've also not even read ALL of your logs, yet you included things that I didn't even take from your logs to use an example in my post, such as the notches on your pistols, I didn't even know you did that, because I haven't all of your logs, I gathered that information from past logs and other unit's logs because you're not the first or only one to have done, or do that. My post isn't regarding your log solely.

The main issue is that, according to your logs, you have a more extensive service record and experience than some Commanders that we've had in the past. Now, regarding you being personally trained by a Commander (CmD) there's nothing wrong with that, but its unusual for a Commander to take an 04 or 05 under their wing and train them personally to be a more exceptional unit than any other 04 or 05, which would be favoritism on that Commander's part. Regarding you being able to have dual pistols and them being authorized by the SeC, that's not a problem either, it is a problem when you see yourself as more elite or more special than anyone else. Some see having dual pistols as something simple. In reality, having anything out of the ordinary such as that, requires a level of maturity and role play that is nearly unheard of because it easily get's to the head of who ever is using such a thing. Most people, even the best RP'ers fall victim to the mindset that, "The SeC allowed me to have dual pistols, he must trust my abilities" which leads to elitism and just generally being over powered at certain ranks. Breaking IC laws will cause you to lose your unit, and if its something bad enough, you'll be blacklisted for at least a limited time. When you lose your unit, you don't go back down to recruit instantly, you start a new citizen, re-apply, get re-interviewed, and then start over a recruit. Regarding everything in your logs happening IC, I don't doubt that. However, sparring with a COTA unit and losing horribly only causes you to be wounded, as you've stated in your logs. Those wounds, along with the other wounds you've sustained should have you sitting in a medical bed in a near comatose state, hooked up to life monitoring apparatus, not to mention multiple surgeries needing to be done, assuming you would even survive such things happening in such a short amount of time. It doesn't make you more elite, stronger, better, or more well trained than any other unit. It makes you more wounded, hurt, disabled, and closer to being put out of action due to inefficiency than any other unit, to be realistic. And yes, every character is different, but that isn't to be confused with being more powerful than those on the same level as you. Each 04 unit is a different person, but that doesn't mean that one 04 unit is more trained, or better than another 04 unit. Regarding members of certain divisions being told to keep paper logs is a point I'm not going to touch on in this post, as it would take the focus off of the point of it and be off topic. Its also not a problem to have paper logs as a personal preference, but I still don't understand why ZEALOT operations are so secret, that High Command, (which runs the CCA, in case ZEALOT hasn't noticed) isn't allowed to be informed of ZEALOT operations. As I said, I won't touch on that point anymore due to it being off topic.

Regarding your last comment of not role playing other's character's for them, I'm not telling anyone how to RP their characters, our CCA general rules tell you how to RP your character and if you chose not to follow those rules, then you pay the consequences. There has to be something in place to keep people in check so that they don't try to act like Neo when they're an 04 or 03 or 02 or 01 or even a CmD. There is no reason anyone should want to kill citizens or beat them (using this as an example, not saying you do this) yet people like to say, "My character has anger issues and loses his temper", or "My character is desensitized to violence", or "My character is slightly crazy and loves to kill and beat people." Which is why we have guidelines you should follow for your rank. You cannot act like an OfC is expected to as an 04, which is why people can't RP whatever they wish. Things have to be within reason of your rank and position in the CCA

Also, just a general point not aimed at anyone, your division doesn't put you higher than anyone else in the CCA. SHIELD=VICE=JURY=ZEALOT. Rank is what gives you authority, not division. 

Offline ?AG-CL? Sheo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 03:24:38 PM »
"However, sparring with a COTA unit and losing horribly only causes you to be wounded, as you've stated in your logs. Those wounds, along with the other wounds you've sustained should have you sitting in a medical bed in a near comatose state, hooked up to life monitoring apparatus, not to mention multiple surgeries needing to be done, assuming you would even survive such things happening in such a short amount of time."

I wasn't aware getting a fractured rib, shrapnel in the leg, a fractured wrist, being stabbed in the hand, my face cut open or a liver transplant, would kill my character. It's not as if all of this happened at once - And I never said I was better trained or more elite than any other unit: But this unit does in fact spend time just about every day (Though, granted he hasn't been doing it recently due to his recent injuries) practicing his skills, and as stated before, this does gradually improve him. If an 01 doesn't practice a day in his life, realistically he isn't going to be some billy bad ass just because of his rank; that's a huge misconception. Authority, comes from rank, yes, but skill, physical conditioning, and to a certain extent mental conditioning stems from regular, disciplined practice.

Look at the 02's that were recently promoted up, some of them even promoted 3 times in 2 days. Realistically, they haven't magically become trained martial artists and marksman. They're still at the same skill level they were before they were promoted.

Offline Airborne1st

• I'm White
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 03:54:47 PM »
"However, sparring with a COTA unit and losing horribly only causes you to be wounded, as you've stated in your logs. Those wounds, along with the other wounds you've sustained should have you sitting in a medical bed in a near comatose state, hooked up to life monitoring apparatus, not to mention multiple surgeries needing to be done, assuming you would even survive such things happening in such a short amount of time."

I wasn't aware getting a fractured rib, shrapnel in the leg, a fractured wrist, being stabbed in the hand, my face cut open or a liver transplant, would kill my character. It's not as if all of this happened at once - And I never said I was better trained or more elite than any other unit: But this unit does in fact spend time just about every day (Though, granted he hasn't been doing it recently due to his recent injuries) practicing his skills, and as stated before, this does gradually improve him. If an 01 doesn't practice a day in his life, realistically he isn't going to be some billy bad ass just because of his rank; that's a huge misconception. Authority, comes from rank, yes, but skill, physical conditioning, and to a certain extent mental conditioning stems from regular, disciplined practice.

Look at the 02's that were recently promoted up, some of them even promoted 3 times in 2 days. Realistically, they haven't magically become trained martial artists and marksman. They're still at the same skill level they were before they were promoted.

You're a recently promoted 04, so you're a basic unit with a gun. Which means, you're a hardened civilian with a bit of training. The injuries you've stated will cause more damage than you let on like they will. In fact, you shouldn't be fit to be out patrolling in such a condition, to be realistic. A fractured wrist would be enough to keep you from patrolling until its healed.

I never stated you said your unit was better or more trained than any other, but based on your logs, you imply that due to your constant training and admission to ZEALOT, you were more specialized than others on your level. Now, IC training will make your character better at things. I'm not disputing that fact and I encourage all units to train their skills. However, due to the system in place that for the sake of avoiding powergaming and being over powered at certain ranks, you can only have your skills improve by so much at a rank. An example of what I'm saying is, in real life, if you were to train in hand to hand combat daily for a month, you would have a drastic improvement in your skill. In the CCA on the server however, that same level of improvement is toned down, because if we were to allow the same amount of improvement, you would be as skilled as the average CmD at the rank of 03 if you started training in hand to hand combat at the rank of 05. We simply can't allow that sort of thing due to power gaming potential and being over powered at certain ranks.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 04:29:15 PM »
Yes you need to do more injury RP sheo. Yes you come in often but you don't seem to be bothered by the fact that you recently had a liver transplant. You somehow fought an overwatch unit without the main of a liver transplant or even the possibility the bonds might break and you would need emergency surgery or die due to blood loss cause your liver detached from the major vessels pumping blood in and out of it?

TL;DR you cant do much for a while after major injuries.

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 04:52:12 PM »
but I still don't understand why ZEALOT operations are so secret, that High Command, (which runs the CCA, in case ZEALOT hasn't noticed) isn't allowed to be informed of ZEALOT operations. As I said, I won't touch on that point anymore due to it being off topic.

Because:

I would not trust HC with sensitive information that could be used to give away to others in relation to their rebel characters.
The whole of HC are not capable enough to be informed of this information because they won't be doing anything with it anyway.
When the division was created it was agreed upon by the original creators that it would be restrictive in it's information as ZEALOT also now does internal intelligence, and that isn't restricted to units not in HC.

Offline kmp

• 4chan is my friend
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 07:52:01 PM »
People can roleplay their characters the way they want, the things such as "as an 04, don't be a hard ass" type things are just guidelines. You can convince people to RP the way you want, but don't expect everyone to.

Also, CmD+ have access to the logs in-character, yet I don't know if ZEALOT does or not.
C18.MPF.RAZOR-OfC.448

Offline Airborne1st

• I'm White
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 08:30:09 PM »
People can roleplay their characters the way they want, the things such as "as an 04, don't be a hard ass" type things are just guidelines. You can convince people to RP the way you want, but don't expect everyone to.

Also, CmD+ have access to the logs in-character, yet I don't know if ZEALOT does or not.

I'm all for RPing the way you want...within reason of the guidelines in place. There was a time, a good time at that, where if you RP'ed a hard ass as an 04, you were Blackmarked. If you continued, you were OWR'd. You know that time as well as I do, and I hope you're not supporting being a bad ass or a hard ass or desensitized unit at any rank below 02. The day that CG allows any unit to be as much of a hard ass as they want an any rank is the day I lose much of my respect and hope for it.

Because:

I would not trust HC with sensitive information that could be used to give away to others in relation to their rebel characters.
The whole of HC are not capable enough to be informed of this information because they won't be doing anything with it anyway.
When the division was created it was agreed upon by the original creators that it would be restrictive in it's information as ZEALOT also now does internal intelligence, and that isn't restricted to units not in HC.

Its not that HC needs to know, or even really cares to know about ZEALOT operations. The problem with it, is the principle of the whole thing. Many see this as a form of elitism, even on the HC end of ZEALOT. I'm not asking for records of ZEALOT operations, and I'm not asking for them to be released to HC for the lulz. With the way things are, it makes it seem like ZEALOT is too good, or higher than the rest of HC, therefore ZEALOT operation information isn't released to the rest of HC because its not high enough to have the clearance to be briefed on such operations. I'm not saying that's the case, but that's how its portrayed.

Also, if ZEALOT is doing internal affairs now, I do hope you're only allowing ZEALOT OfC+ units to be involved in that. When you start allowing enlisted ranked units to hold information on other's, including HC of other divisions, it sends their ego to an unreached level, allowing for elitism beyond that that has ever been seen. So please, if you're doing IA stuff now, keep that information to OfC+ in ZEALOT, otherwise many of us will have problems with 04+ units having classified IC knowledge on HC units, and even 02+ units.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 08:46:41 PM by Airborne1st »

Offline 2stronk

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 10:12:03 PM »

Although there's no rule against it, 04's should not go around acting like terminators.

Offline kmp

• 4chan is my friend
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 02:10:06 AM »
Seeing as I no longer have a rank in the CCA, the best I can do is zip. I don't really mind if they RP being a bad ass or whatever, as long as they don't constantly attempt to beat/kill people because it suits them.
C18.MPF.RAZOR-OfC.448

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 05:47:57 AM »
Its not that HC needs to know, or even really cares to know about ZEALOT operations. The problem with it, is the principle of the whole thing. Many see this as a form of elitism, even on the HC end of ZEALOT. I'm not asking for records of ZEALOT operations, and I'm not asking for them to be released to HC for the lulz. With the way things are, it makes it seem like ZEALOT is too good, or higher than the rest of HC, therefore ZEALOT operation information isn't released to the rest of HC because its not high enough to have the clearance to be briefed on such operations. I'm not saying that's the case, but that's how its portrayed.

Personally I don't give a shit if people see it as elitism. That's their problem and for all purposes ZEALOT is elitist IC'ly because of the sensitivity of information. It's also because of the point stated below that some of the information that is currently our main directives may directly or in-directly involve a member of HC whether that's on their CCA character or if a separate rebel character and if likely given the opportunity would metagame that information.

Also, if ZEALOT is doing internal affairs now, I do hope you're only allowing ZEALOT OfC+ units to be involved in that. When you start allowing enlisted ranked units to hold information on other's, including HC of other divisions, it sends their ego to an unreached level, allowing for elitism beyond that that has ever been seen. So please, if you're doing IA stuff now, keep that information to OfC+ in ZEALOT, otherwise many of us will have problems with 04+ units having classified IC knowledge on HC units, and even 02+ units.

Gestapo informatives dealt with information regarding senior command of the wehrmacht officers without the rest of the third reich knowing about it. Same system here. Regardless of their rank.

I am fully aware of which units currently in ZEALOT are acting like complete idiotic psychotic badasses and if they keep displaying public attitude like that they won't be in ZEALOT for much longer.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:49:41 AM by raged »

Offline ?AG-CL? Sheo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 11:11:29 AM »

Although there's no rule against it, 04's should not go around acting like terminators.

Pic, please. That was because of several issues my character has with Turious, you don't seem to have any sort of overall grasp of my character. And I don't necessarily mind that, but if you're going to make accusations, get the full picture first. Turious commits violent crimes, muggings, beatings, killings, and then 999 was informed that he had multiple women in the same room, raping them repeatedly. A recruit would be pissed, let alone 999 who has serious issues regarding violent offenders, especially rapists. I /don't/ walk around like a terminator. Far from it my character's emotions fluctuate often.

As for Statua, I had literally no idea my liver would be that fragile. I was under the impression it was cauterized, biogeled, fake fleshed and got a blood transfusion and literally in a few days I'd be right as rain. It's rather hard to patient RP well when you don't have that much knowledge of the post-surgery symptoms.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal