Author Topic: Buying a laptop  (Read 6574 times)

Offline Darthwill

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Buying a laptop
« on: July 12, 2013, 09:50:06 PM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215663
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230987
Give me detailed information please, Im looking to buy a laptop I can game on in between the 400-600$ range, so I am looking for help in making a purchase, If there is another laptop you would suggest please do so.
I basically Want something I can game on, and just use as a computer, as I do not have my own atm. Thank you for helping.
Feel free to add me on steam.

Offline Pielolz

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Buying a laptop
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 10:00:46 PM »
definitely the Asus. better memory and also, personally, I have received excellent performance from my asus (tho not the same) I've heard nothing good about Acer. Also, a Nvidia is better then a Radeon. You also have more memory w/ the asus. and the Asus has windows 8 64 gig. Also Asus has impeccable customer support when it comes to these things.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 12:28:38 AM »
Go with the acer. That NVIDIA GT610 will ruin your gaming compared to the ATI 7670 and unless you plan to use it to produce lots of shit really quickly (photoshop, premier, hammer, etc) the extra ram wint do you any good. The A8 proc is also not far behind the i5 in performance and really, it will do gaming for you just fine. You don't need an uber proc for gaming.

The biggest thing you need to worry about in a gaming computer is the video card. Who cares if that Asus has a i7 6 core in it. That GT610 will be lucky if it can run TF2 at medium graphics. The 7670 will do you pretty well. It can probably run most games out there.

If you can find something more powerful the the 7670 then go for it, however in a laptop, its gonna be hard to find anything stronger while staying in your price range.

P.S. The GT610 is mostly designed for media excluding blu-ray if that gives you any idea how shit it is.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 12:30:19 AM by Statua »

Offline FanaticWarren

• ElitistFag
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 04:23:04 AM »
I'd suggest http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312434

2gb of ram isnt going to make much of a difference on a laptop and the 7670M is going to do well while playing games + Lenovo's have amazing boot times

my laptop has amd dual graphics enabled with a 7660G + a 7670M and can run BF3 on medium with Dual graphic's disabled just running the dedicated 7670M at a playable fps
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 04:27:13 AM by FearlessWarren »

System Specs
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core processor @ 4.6 ghz
RAM: AMD Radeon™ RP1866 Performance Series 16GB
PSU: Ultra X4 750W
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked + PNY GTX 550 TI for physx core

Offline Darthwill

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 03:24:42 PM »
Thank you for the feedback So far Im thinking the acer unless you can comment on the lenovo fanatic suggested vs the acer statua

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 09:15:01 PM »
They have extremely similar hardware. However the Lenovo is way more reliable and you shouldn't encounter too many issues.

Your budget is a little low if you want something really powerful so unless you want to save more, this is probably your best bet.

Offline {DG} SW33TJ3ZUZ

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 09:56:28 PM »
I have that ASUS, and it's a piece of shit. I wouldn't recommend the ASUS or a Laptop itself. The ASUS has GREAT customer service, but it's still a bad computer. I have to run a Monitor on it because I closed the screen and let the top half fall maybe 11/2 inches, and it cracked.
Blame the turbo

Offline alaskan thunderfuck

• Owner
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 11:20:46 PM »
You really, really should build your own PC unless you absolutely have to have a laptop. You'll end up with way better specs for less money.
Please don't PM me regarding bans or anything having to do with in-game situations. Only PM me if you've been told I am the only one who can solve your issue.

Offline Darthwill

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 11:44:52 PM »
I would rather build a desktop Just need the mobility of a laptop

Offline Receivebacon?®

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 01:20:52 AM »
I'd think a TOSHIBA laptop works best
AMD Dual core processor (Processor meant for gaming)
8GB RAM
455 GB total (Well, my computer anyways)
2.6 GHz
all that good stuff

i only got mine for 480-496$

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 02:53:24 PM »
As waffle said, if you can do the desktop, do it. Your desktop should always take priority over your laptop, UNLESS you're in the case where you have nowhere to put a desktop or you move around so much that packing up and moving your desktop is too much of a hassle. I'm used to going to LAN parties so I have my own little system for packing up and moving my desktop but it takes some planning and trial and error lol.

Anyway I was also thinking about gaming on a laptop and periphreals. That Lenovo has 2x USB 2.0 and 2x USB 3.0 ports on it. The 3.0 will allow you to use the latest and greatest in peripherals like keyboards with screens n shit. So if you do intend to get the laptop, you will be able to use sweet keyboards and mice with it too if you're willing to cart them along with you.

So me and my roommate (who is a long time computer tech for a big company in my area) both agree that the Lenovo will do you well. I also looked into greater detail on the video specs and the Lenovo actually has more dedicated memory for it. The Lenovo also has a DVD burner in it and a better LCD for gaming.

Offline Darthwill

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 04:13:44 PM »
Much love Statua thankyou for the advice, Would way rather build A pc and is something Im likely do in the future just need a pc soon and need the mobility to just move between friends school home and be able to play the games I play on it

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 12:29:45 AM »
Well if you do move around a lot then I agree you should get a laptop but if its only like once every 2 weeks at most then you should go desktop. I can manage to tear down my set and load it into my car in 5 minutes or less and setting up takes about the same.

Offline Darthwill

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 02:54:11 PM »
In terms of making videos such as lets play podcasts Just ect random stuff would the acer or len be better

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 05:58:57 PM »
In terms of making videos such as lets play podcasts Just ect random stuff would the acer or len be better
There's not much of a difference in that area. Unless you intend to render things into your videos, the Lenovo will do just fine.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal