Author Topic: So why do we have this OWS=Walking tank bullshit?  (Read 6941 times)

Re: So why do we have this OWS=Walking tank bullshit?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 10:08:59 AM »
Not all OTA units act like this. I remember a patrol where me, Hazard, Molly, and someone else I'm forgetting, had gotten it handed to us. Yes, OTA can still be beat. But some idiot running around with a 9mm in an orange suit, penetrating Kevlar and getting kills from 100 feet away is not realistic by anymeans. Realistically, OW would have fucked up the rebellion easily. Why? Better gear, better weapons, better training, and a robotic nature to complete their directives at any cost. They are supersoldiers. The only reason they're easy to kill in HL2 is because it's an FPS, not intended to be a realistic role-playing game.
Disregarding the horrible tactics, slow movement speeds(Further proof that they're not really all that augmented) the fact they have the same weapons/gear?

Truth is that OTA are far from perfect, the reason why there wasn't any rebellion is because there was NO hope among the resistance or citizens.
(The rebels tended to use flanking/rush tactics while OTA use juggernaut tactics/abuse their armor which is why the rebels are seen in cover while OTA rarely are.)
1:23 PM - Pvt. Emory[113thCav]: I think 604 is a cat :3

2:07 PM - Juggernaut: Monkey with a gun
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: + Chunkeymonkey79
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: =
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: CHUNKYMONKEY WITH A GUN69
2:07 PM - chunkeymonkey79: YOU SIR ARE GOD

9:52 PM - Rory Phelps: gosh god damnit fuck my ass

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 10:12:22 AM »
Disregarding the horrible tactics, slow movement speeds(Further proof that they're not really all that augmented) the fact they have the same weapons/gear?

The only reason they're easy to kill in HL2 is because it's an FPS, not intended to be a realistic role-playing game.

This goes back to what I'm saying, In HL2 OTA aren't the greatest, but they're still part of the force that took over the entire world in a couple of hours. In a roleplaying sense, OTA ARE supersoldiers and they ARE trained to kill while many rebellion members are most likely cold, underfed and at least somewhat scared - there's no comparison but because it's a roleplaying server generally it's rebels > OTA (not all the time, because that'd be boring)

Offline Zail

• Weird Gurl Nr.1
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 10:55:08 AM »
Surely I do understand why people is a bit 'upset' by these 'superhumans'.
I admit, I've seen a single DvL or CmD once, back in the time, who ripped (literally) the UCH apart. No kidding. Rp'd and so on.
Yet, I haven't seen any units be incredible, unrealistic invulnerable.
The last 'bigger fight' I heard about, was KmP's CmD and (not sure) 2 OTA soldiers going down in a fight with a single vortigaunt. Yes, we are so overpowered. Indeed.
I admit though, that OTA is overpowered and I myself, is trying to change that a bit. Before the OTA used OOC communication, no IC radio, no /me's to move around, basically; No rp.

This last night, where me and Mmmaaattt moved out (probably the cause of this thread), we both fully rp'd with /me's and /radio'd each others the entire time and weren't even near being invisible. Yes, we had white camo on, to blend in with the enviroment but people could still see us from a distance.

During the evacuation me and Mmmaaattt were about to do, with 2 females, Beans decided to sneak up on us and shoot me in the side. Of course I could of went;
"/me is shaken by the shot, not taking any particular damage and turns towards the shot". But no, I decided to take the blast of the shotgun and the distance in account which turned out with;
"/me gets shot in the right side, falling down from the ledge of the stonewall and falls to the ground." Later, I rp'd I was bleeding from my right side, I was panting and limping.
Yet, apparently this still was overpowered. We were still too overpowered, we weren't able to die, no matter what they did and complaints was about it in OOC. Heck, I got annoyed I admit. Did I show it? No, I'm the happy super administrator, trying to please the playerbase with weaker OTA units, but that's apparently NOT good enough. Maybe I should just take off the armor and run around naked instead?

During IC actions, with the female I caught, I wasn't the complete "I robot, comply and face death." I rp'd with her. She was standing with a bow, facing me and I had my rifle aimed at her. Oh shit, I should really pull the trigger shouldn't I? OR actually let rp continue. What did I decide?
I decided to tell her, to put down her weapon and comply. Which she did. I went over to her and instead of instantly shooting her brain out across the room, I told her to get on the ground while I tied her. I wasn't a killing machine. I wasn't an overpowered, inhuman being who only saught to destroy the entire inn. I had feelings, I was scared, I was trying to get away, clearly audible through the radio me and Mmmaaattt were carrying.
Surely, you couldn't see it, but I was literally yelling in the mic to get the fuck out. I especially remember one of them:
"/radio Unit is hit, taking fire! Evacuation immediately, get out of here now!"
But nope, that wasn't pointed out. I was still an OP robot.

Now I bet some of my OTA colleagues will bite me off and say we aren't supposed to have feelings. But they do. They are afraid of getting blown up by a grenade. When they are shot, they moan in pain. When they are injuried, they (sometimes) tend to seek to cover.
I admit, OTA is a bit OP sometimes, but that's required of them. Yes, they are humans but they're implented with alien technology, alien armor and alien weapons. Well, most of them is at the last. Mostly, only the elite is carrying a AR2, while the rest is carrying either shotguns or SMG's.

If you want to point out anything 'horrible' in my rp, during the time yesterday, please feel free to PM me or contact me over steam. I -for once- would gladly try and change my OTA combat style.

Offline Jaquecz

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 12:13:08 PM »
The post that heavily defended keeping the OTA OP is basically this in TL;DR OTA=ptw and citizens and rebels=p2l
dun like it? gtfo or play cca.

Honestley why would anyone play citizen or rebel if all that was going to happen to them is to get owned by an overpowered OTA who can lift cars and shrug off explosions and pointblank shotgun blasts. Thats totally fucking realistic

OTA normally work together in squads of 4 to 6, each occupying a role, sniping or being the guy with a shotgun, and they always employ squad tactics, like covering each other as they sprint to cover, they even do flanking.
They don't go around and tank everything that comes at them.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:21:53 PM by Markoslo Sheperd »

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 12:20:16 PM »
The post that heavily defended keeping the OTA OP is basically this in TL;DR OTA=ptw and citizens and rebels=p2l
dun like it? gtfo or play cca.

Honestley why would anyone play citizen or rebel if all that was going to happen to them is to get owned by an overpowered OTA who can lift cars and shrug off explosions and pointblank shotgun blasts. Thats totally fucking realistic

Can you not read? Challenge took the time to post a huge post arguing that actually, she does roleplay a balanced OTA unit which DOES take damage and IS stoppable. No OTA unit should be forced to keel over and die at the slightest gunshot, the idea behind OTA isn't that you kill them and win, it's that you hide from them or either over power them using superior tactics or force.

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 12:22:16 PM »
Surely I do understand why people is a bit 'upset' by these 'superhumans'.
I admit, I've seen a single DvL or CmD once, back in the time, who ripped (literally) the UCH apart. No kidding. Rp'd and so on.
Yet, I haven't seen any units be incredible, unrealistic invulnerable.
The last 'bigger fight' I heard about, was KmP's CmD and (not sure) 2 OTA soldiers going down in a fight with a single vortigaunt. Yes, we are so overpowered. Indeed.
I admit though, that OTA is overpowered and I myself, is trying to change that a bit. Before the OTA used OOC communication, no IC radio, no /me's to move around, basically; No rp.

This last night, where me and Mmmaaattt moved out (probably the cause of this thread), we both fully rp'd with /me's and /radio'd each others the entire time and weren't even near being invisible. Yes, we had white camo on, to blend in with the enviroment but people could still see us from a distance.

During the evacuation me and Mmmaaattt were about to do, with 2 females, Beans decided to sneak up on us and shoot me in the side. Of course I could of went;
"/me is shaken by the shot, not taking any particular damage and turns towards the shot". But no, I decided to take the blast of the shotgun and the distance in account which turned out with;
"/me gets shot in the right side, falling down from the ledge of the stonewall and falls to the ground." Later, I rp'd I was bleeding from my right side, I was panting and limping.
Yet, apparently this still was overpowered. We were still too overpowered, we weren't able to die, no matter what they did and complaints was about it in OOC. Heck, I got annoyed I admit. Did I show it? No, I'm the happy super administrator, trying to please the playerbase with weaker OTA units, but that's apparently NOT good enough. Maybe I should just take off the armor and run around naked instead?

During IC actions, with the female I caught, I wasn't the complete "I robot, comply and face death." I rp'd with her. She was standing with a bow, facing me and I had my rifle aimed at her. Oh shit, I should really pull the trigger shouldn't I? OR actually let rp continue. What did I decide?
I decided to tell her, to put down her weapon and comply. Which she did. I went over to her and instead of instantly shooting her brain out across the room, I told her to get on the ground while I tied her. I wasn't a killing machine. I wasn't an overpowered, inhuman being who only saught to destroy the entire inn. I had feelings, I was scared, I was trying to get away, clearly audible through the radio me and Mmmaaattt were carrying.
Surely, you couldn't see it, but I was literally yelling in the mic to get the fuck out. I especially remember one of them:
"/radio Unit is hit, taking fire! Evacuation immediately, get out of here now!"
But nope, that wasn't pointed out. I was still an OP robot.

Now I bet some of my OTA colleagues will bite me off and say we aren't supposed to have feelings. But they do. They are afraid of getting blown up by a grenade. When they are shot, they moan in pain. When they are injuried, they (sometimes) tend to seek to cover.
I admit, OTA is a bit OP sometimes, but that's required of them. Yes, they are humans but they're implented with alien technology, alien armor and alien weapons. Well, most of them is at the last. Mostly, only the elite is carrying a AR2, while the rest is carrying either shotguns or SMG's.

If you want to point out anything 'horrible' in my rp, during the time yesterday, please feel free to PM me or contact me over steam. I -for once- would gladly try and change my OTA combat style.
And this is why I love Challenge.

She lead a proper OTA patrol and did it correctly, there's been times before where I've encountered OTA who just wouldn't RP/respond and then I got an "Oh well" from Kom.
What Challenge did during that was as near perfect as it can be.

OTA aren't there to be the "Killing force" or be some sort of Army to fuck your shit you, they should be a presences that everyone unites to fight and works together on, they should be a force for RP not the destroyers of it(Like the CCA tends to be).

The only time I've ever lead an ambush we used a combo of range and distraction to do damage and use an overwhelming force.
1:23 PM - Pvt. Emory[113thCav]: I think 604 is a cat :3

2:07 PM - Juggernaut: Monkey with a gun
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: + Chunkeymonkey79
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: =
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: CHUNKYMONKEY WITH A GUN69
2:07 PM - chunkeymonkey79: YOU SIR ARE GOD

9:52 PM - Rory Phelps: gosh god damnit fuck my ass

Offline Jaquecz

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 12:22:57 PM »
SMt i wasn't talking about her, i was talking about the guy who said they SHOULD be next to unstoppable

Offline Mr. Pettit

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 12:23:41 PM »
Because that's the challenge of it. If you are going to act in a life threatening manner, your life will be threatened. In my almost 2 years of playing HL2RP here I've never been killed or had an unfair experience with OTA. The Outlands has all of these well developed, interesting characters and they don't get killed. Sure, they have the challenge of living there but It's part of the experience. Some rag tag rebels most of the time with some old out of date kevlar vest, against highly trained OTA that are well equipped with fresh gear and ceramic armor.

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 12:25:23 PM »
SMt i wasn't talking about her, i was talking about the guy who said they SHOULD be next to unstoppable

Well OTA isn't like that, so I don't get why this thread exists - if an OTA unit is RPing stupidly bring it up with them in LOOC, if they're acting unprofessional and won't listen to you then get their digits and OOC name and report them to OzJackal (in general) or me (if they're a VANGUARD unit) and we can find out what happens. No one should be RPing their OTA unit as invincible but they ARE strong, there's a balance between them somewhere.

Offline aeiou

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 01:21:42 PM »
Actually i did, and gordon freeman wouldn't be able to do shit to them iff they were WALKING FFUCKING TANKS

proof: right after you escape ravenholm you runn into 6 ota, they can be dispatched by a single shotgun blast, not 3 fucking double shotty blasts. Don't even get me started on DVL's where the fuck did those come from? TnB?

Are you sure you played the same Half-Life 2 as the rest of us?

If people wants this server to live up to their own standards - resistance will win just about ninety percent of the time. The issue is that citizens seem to have a lack of fear of the Combine as a whole here, they could attack with RPGs and people would still walk up to them with shotguns and fire at them. Close range. I've seen people go up against hunters here, what the fuck is that about? Most pro-resistance seem to be exactly what they claim for Overwatch to be - walking tanks. They die? They're going to whine relentlessly until they get their character back.

I understand players like to develop their characters and frown when they lose them, but you're not really letting Overwatch do their job either. You have strength in numbers, but you never use said numbers; you just run up alone most of the time with your own guns. No matter what you are going to say, Overwatch is a major military force; if this was anything like Half-Life 2, killing one of them or even injuring them would cause more of them to swarm outlands. That is how they operate, in brute force and with numbers. If you want any kind of balance on outlands you have to balance it out by making Overwatch what they are supposed to be, walking tanks.

If you look at HL2 and play through it again, you will notice they experience and feel pain, and they act appropriately in a verbal manner (grunt and similar actions), but they keep going. They don't care if they're shot, they just continue doing their job like they should, until they die. Most of you seem to think this will make them retreat, how often do you see Overwatch retreating in Half-Life 2?

Let's not forget the other branches of the Overwatch, such as the synths. Who should be most afraid of encountering armed resistance (not the human resistance, but any resistance); citizens or Overwatch? Citizens. Overwatch are backed up by massive synthetic fuckers that will tear you apart. If they decide to deploy them you are pretty much done for, and I intend to let Overwatch do so if they wish since Combine was fucked over on here. I've even seen people on city AND outlands run up to hunters and shoot at them, even going as far as trying to stab them, not roleplaying any sort of fear.

Fact remains:
  • Yes, the Overwatch soldiers are tanks to some degree - it will stay this way whether you like it or not, it's been this way on literally all other communities with the exception of the new ones where they tear the Combine a new one
  • Much of OL, or at least those who like to speak up, do not give a single shit about Overwatch, they treat it as any other day and treat it as if they are easy as hell to kill, then whine when they are not
  • Overwatch and the MPF has been murdered by this community before, it's pissed me off

They are augmented, tough, and utilize brute force when dealing with resistance. It's a way of striking fear into the hearts of the citizens, but apparently that does not work here since everyone is a 6'1 Mary Sue with shotguns who think they are hot shit.

Topic has been locked, deal with it or discuss in LOOC with the Overwatch if you have a complaint

Note for admins: This thread is locked for a reason, if you post here I will delete your posts
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 01:25:06 PM by alexanderk »

Offline aeiou

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 01:32:34 PM »
For the record - if you have more complaints about the Overwatch, PM myself or OzJackal

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal