Author Topic: New GPU, but which?  (Read 4324 times)

Offline Technical Abbreviations

• Acolyte Of The Carp God Baby
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
New GPU, but which?
« on: August 16, 2012, 12:24:24 PM »
So my 570 is starting to fall behind, pulling 30fps with newer games, and getting a good number of lag spikes, and Im looking to upgrade. Not necessarily right now, perhaps 6 months from now, perhaps next week, I dont know. Anyhow, Im wondering what would be more cost effective/better choice in general; a second 570 to throw in SLI, or a 660TI/670? Id appreciate opinions on which would be the better choice.
Spoiler for :D:
\\r\\nWe live in the explosion of a bomb that has not yet finished exploding. You and everything you love are debris. Have a good day ^_^\\\'\\\'\\r\\nJiggerFrizz: Who is talking?\\r\\nJiggerFrizz: They sound hot\\r\\nJiggerFrizz: The background\\r\\nDegtyarev: They are 11 :l

Re: New GPU, but which?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 12:27:43 PM »
What processor do you have?
And what game are lagging for you? Cause I have a 9800 GT and it pulls 30 FPS in most of the new titles with the graphics up.
1:23 PM - Pvt. Emory[113thCav]: I think 604 is a cat :3

2:07 PM - Juggernaut: Monkey with a gun
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: + Chunkeymonkey79
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: =
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: CHUNKYMONKEY WITH A GUN69
2:07 PM - chunkeymonkey79: YOU SIR ARE GOD

9:52 PM - Rory Phelps: gosh god damnit fuck my ass

Offline Rudolph the Master Blaster

• me and smt
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 01:10:42 PM »
I have a GTX 560 ti. I can run all new games Ultra/max settings with a solid 60+ fps range.

Perhaps it is your CPU that is bottlenecking your GPU's performance. Perhaps an upgrade for your CPU would be a much better choice.

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 03:17:26 PM »
I have a GTX 560 ti. I can run all new games Ultra/max settings with a solid 60+ fps range.

Perhaps it is your CPU that is bottlenecking your GPU's performance. Perhaps an upgrade for your CPU would be a much better choice.
2600k @ 4Ghz. Its not a bottleneck. So there is no bottleneck, yet I get low FPS?
\\r\\nWe live in the explosion of a bomb that has not yet finished exploding. You and everything you love are debris. Have a good day ^_^\\\'\\\'\\r\\nJiggerFrizz: Who is talking?\\r\\nJiggerFrizz: They sound hot\\r\\nJiggerFrizz: The background\\r\\nDegtyarev: They are 11 :l

Offline Psycho29388

• Maximum Autism
  • VIP
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 06:22:23 PM »

2600k @ 4Ghz. Its not a bottleneck. So there is no bottleneck, yet I get low FPS?
then we've narrowed it down to the games your talking about.
give us some examples and I can tell you why you're getting the FPS you are.

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 06:56:23 PM »
Get an AMD card like the 6870, 6950 or a 6970, or heck even go for the newer 7000 series.

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 07:58:45 PM »

Blacklight: 25
Battlefield: 25-30
civilization V: 30-40
Skyrim: 20-30

@Abbott, Ive heard too many bad things about the 7xxx.

Offline Psycho29388

• Maximum Autism
  • VIP
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 11:27:41 AM »

Something is very wrong here then, I have a 6850 paired with a Phenom II @ 3.6 ghz yet I usually get a constant 75 FPS in black light and in skyrim on high settings.

Do you have vsync enabled?

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 08:39:11 PM »

Something is very wrong here then, I have a 6850 paired with a Phenom II @ 3.6 ghz yet I usually get a constant 75 FPS in black light and in skyrim on high settings.

Do you have vsync enabled?
No an even if I did it should max at 120fps

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 08:49:38 PM »

From benchmarks I've seen they are pretty good, and the 7970 GHz Edition beats the GTX 680 and other cards but doesn't beat the GTX690, which is expensive as shit compared  to the 7970, and the 7990 isn't out yet so no idea how good that'll be either.

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 09:13:04 PM »

From benchmarks I've seen they are pretty good, and the 7970 GHz Edition beats the GTX 680 and other cards but doesn't beat the GTX690, which is expensive as shit compared  to the 7970, and the 7990 isn't out yet so no idea how good that'll be either.
Benchmarks are cool but not particularly valuable, and if I remember correctly there is something with the 6xx that make benchmarks just about worthless.

Offline Psycho29388

• Maximum Autism
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 09:21:35 PM »
You can go ahead and try upgrading to a GTX 670 or 680, but I still think this is a software issue and not hardware.

Don't even bother with AMD as you'll just go insane with their shitty drivers.

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 01:08:04 AM »
You can go ahead and try upgrading to a GTX 670 or 680, but I still think this is a software issue and not hardware.

Don't even bother with AMD as you'll just go insane with their shitty drivers.
I think Ill go with the 660TI soon. Better price/performance. Id never buy an x80, and doubtfully ever will, seeing as its an overclock x70, nothing more, but for a much higher price. Going with a 660TI, though its slightly (In substancially in fact) less powerful, it puts 100USD towards a second 660TI, or towards the next generation, compared to a 670. Seems a smarter choice for me.

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 09:00:36 AM »

Benchmarks are cool but not particularly valuable, and if I remember correctly there is something with the 6xx that make benchmarks just about worthless.

Surface Format Optimisation on the 6xxx series was the thing that cheated benchmarks. Disabling it for benchmarks will yield true results (though most of the popular reviewers like tomshardware etc never realised when they did the benchmarks) and will also improve texture quality.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal