Author Topic: Hazard's Rant About OTA S2K (OTA Perspective)  (Read 8341 times)

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Hazard's Rant About OTA S2K (OTA Perspective)
« on: May 29, 2012, 10:32:30 AM »
The other day, me, Triv, and someone else (Sorry for forgetting your name  :'( ) were on a weekly patrol of the Outlands when we suddenly got ambushed.  Twice.  Every time, no matter how hard I tried, I could not help but lolheadshot them.  There are two reasons for this:

1.  The training we receive (Both the OTA and CCA) focuses on S2K.  It is completely unrealistic (In RP standards) because we are never trained to shoot to miss.  You can tell us and punish us in the field to make us S2M, but when our training instructs us to S2K, you can't fix instinct.

2.  WHAT ARE YOU ALL DOING SHOOTING AT US IN THE FIRST PLACE?!  Seriously, the two people that I "accidentally" headshotted suddenly cried out in OOC as if I had just pulled a Gordon Freeman on them.  The first time might have been instinct, but the second time I was definitely shooting to miss.  In either case, my statement to all anti-citizens is:  If you shoot at us, you are putting forth that you are just as willing to die as you are to kill us.  If that is the case, then don't bitch in OOC when we shoot to miss and end up killing you with a lucky headshot.  On top of that, you can't always expect us to shoot to miss, especially when, realistically, we have the capability to put a bullet through your head from 100 meters away.

Offline Anzu

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Hazard's Rant About OTA S2K (OTA Perspective)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 11:04:54 AM »
S2M is only there to extend the RP and make it more fun for people. Even though you're supposed to S2M, they still have to RP sometimes that they got hit. Otherwise.. overwatch soldier missing all shots at 5 meters = no.

Lolheadshotting is.. kinda bad and if the training only focuses on that whoever trains you need to fix that

Offline Airborne1st

• I'm White
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 11:05:51 AM »
I don't have an OTA character, but it sounds like to me that if you're ambushed by anti-citizens going against how they should be logically RPing (which is hiding from the OTA) and deciding to engage you, rules of engagement should be able to be followed by the defending party. Which would be for the OTA, if you're fired upon without firing first, you should be authorized and allowed to shoot to kill and use your training.

Honestly, I say fuck shooting to miss in 50% of the situations where gunfights arise. The only time I support shooting to miss is for the sake of beefing up the gunfight because no one is actually going to die in the end, or if both parties understand what the outcome is going to be, whatever it may be, and there is no bitching in OOC afterwards. I know we can't exactly do it, but I truly wish that those with OTA and CCA characters could just shoot to kill if they're attacked first, regardless of its point blank, or long range.

Although then again, there will always be units who can't be trusted with the authorization to fire their weapon using their own judgement, which is the only thing that really has me supporting shooting to miss.

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 11:16:18 AM »
Here's the thing(And no I wasn't part of the ambushes) OTA should get defeated a few times that way its funner for both parties OTA still can win more than resistance but remember these are ambushes your surprised and if don't properly taking fire from more than one side, you will take quite a bit of loss there's nothing that'll stop that if its done properly.

My problem is when OTA come on and EXPECT to win and DEMAND to win which is a problem with the combine side of CG.

Heres the main problem with Hl2rp(At least in CG) is the majority of the admins are infact high command(Or former) which in my mind tends to create bias which is fine on the city, but that bias is creating a rift where there are people who are fed up with having to lose each and every fight with OTA no matter what they do, the only time OTA ever seem to PTL is when the admins tell them before hand to PTL.

1:23 PM - Pvt. Emory[113thCav]: I think 604 is a cat :3

2:07 PM - Juggernaut: Monkey with a gun
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: + Chunkeymonkey79
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: =
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: CHUNKYMONKEY WITH A GUN69
2:07 PM - chunkeymonkey79: YOU SIR ARE GOD

9:52 PM - Rory Phelps: gosh god damnit fuck my ass

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 01:09:16 PM »
Like when two ota units came into the alliance valley, were surrounded by 8+ armed rebels, and somehow managed to survive, steal our radio frequency fom a bystander, and leave without getting a single hit. That happened after i got extreme marksmanship auths with my sniper so really, they wouldnt have been able to leave without gettig hit...

Offline Globey

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 02:41:25 PM »
Jugg, if people attack an OTA patrol, and then win, the valley would pretty much be leveled. A sign of a resistance group strong and daring enough to start poking holes in the Union's illusion of immortality would invoke a huge response.

Units should S2H if they're mature. S2K until you see a single bullet hit, and then toss the rest of your shots a mile away.
C45.CCA.GRID-DvL.604 - Healthy - Executing citizens. Tally: 4
John Gatsby - Healthy - Celebrating, having detonated an explosive melon in front of two CA's

--------------------------
Cutlass, Sail and Cannon:
Ernest Cumberbatch, Port Royal, Governor. Governing.
John Gatsby, of the brigantine Brimstone. Amputating Limbs

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 02:56:30 PM »
Most of my inspiration for this post comes from the battle history of the US military.  In Vietnam and currently in Iraq/Afghanistan, many engagements between insurgents and conventional forces occur.  While US marines have taken casualties, NEVER, in either war, did they lose an engagement.  Just recently, a squad of 3 US Navy Seals, fighting to the last man, fought off more than 100 insurgents before finally being rescued.                                 

TL;DR?

OTA should take more casualties, but I am not about to believe that poorly trained insurgents, unless heavily armed and organized, should have a chance at winning a battle.

Another last minute thought: If OTA are as incompetent as we are forced to act, then why did the rebels need Gordon Freeman in order to start the rebellion?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 03:22:33 PM by Hazard Time »

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 03:21:49 PM »
Most of my inspiration for this post comes from the battle history of the US military.  In Vietnam and currently in Iraq/Afghanistan, many engagements between insurgents and conventional forces occur.  While US marines have taken casualties, NEVER, in either war, did they lose an engagement.  Just recently, a squad of 3 US Navy Seals, fighting to the last man, fought off more than 100 insurgents before finally being rescued.                                 

OTA aren't US soldiers, They don't have the same firepower, same tactics(And in vietnam it was burn everything from the sky.) But let's forget realism and remember THIS IS A GAME BASED ON A GAME(Yo dawg) in Syria the rebels are fighting the military and only losing due to the fact that the military has more hardware then them(Tanks and such) when in hl2 OTA only have their pulse rifles which evens the odds a bit.

And if someone brings up their armor I'll rip your guts out trough your neck.
1:23 PM - Pvt. Emory[113thCav]: I think 604 is a cat :3

2:07 PM - Juggernaut: Monkey with a gun
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: + Chunkeymonkey79
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: =
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: CHUNKYMONKEY WITH A GUN69
2:07 PM - chunkeymonkey79: YOU SIR ARE GOD

9:52 PM - Rory Phelps: gosh god damnit fuck my ass

Offline Pielolz

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 03:24:43 PM »
COTA loose = 100000000000000000 more storm the valley and slaughter everyone. Because the Union is not fond of lolwebuls having pulse rifles and armor. Or they'd just drop a fucking nuke.

And, their armor would stop MOST FUCKING BULLETS unless you have 2 anzio 20 mills strapped to your arms.

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 03:41:23 PM »
COTA loose = 100000000000000000 more storm the valley and slaughter everyone. Because the Union is not fond of lolwebuls having pulse rifles and armor. Or they'd just drop a fucking nuke.

And, their armor would stop MOST FUCKING BULLETS unless you have 2 anzio 20 mills strapped to your arms.

Grab your fire extinguisher, here comes the flame war...

NRK

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 03:45:27 PM »

Uhhh. In HL2 you can kill OTA with a pistol or crowbar. Are you being serious?

Offline Globey

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 03:48:09 PM »
Jugg, you're right - OTA aren't US soldiers. They're way better.
OTA are physically and mentally augmented, and have been mentally hard wired not to route. They are supported by shizloads of APCs, Airwatch, artillery and (more irregularly) synthetics.
That's not even mentioning the far superior supply chain (OTA can afford to hose around ammo, refugees can't.)

Outlands refugees winning against a patrol pretty much declares open season.
C45.CCA.GRID-DvL.604 - Healthy - Executing citizens. Tally: 4
John Gatsby - Healthy - Celebrating, having detonated an explosive melon in front of two CA's

--------------------------
Cutlass, Sail and Cannon:
Ernest Cumberbatch, Port Royal, Governor. Governing.
John Gatsby, of the brigantine Brimstone. Amputating Limbs

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 03:57:27 PM »
Jugg, you're right - OTA aren't US soldiers. They're way better.
OTA are physically and mentally augmented, and have been mentally hard wired not to route. They are supported by shizloads of APCs, Airwatch, artillery and (more irregularly) synthetics.
That's not even mentioning the far superior supply chain (OTA can afford to hose around ammo, refugees can't.)

Outlands refugees winning against a patrol pretty much declares open season.

If I didn't suck at typing on my iPhone (I'm on a computer now), I totally would have said this.  RL similarities aside, when the average OTA Soldier is not busy fulfilling directives, patrolling, or recharging their augment batteries, it is not hard to imagine that they are constantly drilling.

As for Statua's marksmanship auths, I have no problem with him using those auths to take out a few soldiers, and I think we need to deal with those soldiers who think they are too elite to die.  OTA are supposed to be a-dime-a-dozen, same with CCA.

As for the armor, I told myself I would never get involved in this argument, but I am going to state my opinion once:  Except at point blank ranges, nothing short of an anti-material round (OSIPR, OSISR, and maybe 357 and xbow) is getting through it.  Those vests they are wearing are oversized ceramic plates covered in kevlar.

That's my schtick.  I would rather not debate it further, and I don't expect it to be taken seriously.

Offline [TNS-D] Sanitorium

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 03:58:40 PM »

HL2RP isn't HL2.
i like men.

Offline Hazard Time

• i luv hoerses
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 04:05:58 PM »

HL2RP isn't HL2.

Also in HL2, if you put 5 rebels against 10 OTA, the most likely outcome is the rebels will win.  It's a game mechanic, and it wasn't designed to be realistic.  If it was realistic, then it would be like Halo where all your followers would die in the first firefight. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal