Author Topic: Play to lose!  (Read 15013 times)

Offline JoshB

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Play to lose!
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2011, 01:24:31 AM »
Yea but a lot of people powergame and arguments, rollpay is easy just not fun.
You powergame, and rollplaying is unrealistic.
[CG-SA]Toy4x4funrun: When guns are involved RP = basicly void
lolwut?

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2011, 11:24:22 AM »
Yea but a lot of people powergame and arguments, rollpay is easy just not fun.
If you rollplay you powergame.
A citizen can take on an OTA unit. Nothing makes that fair

Offline Katsu

• #1 KotL picker
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2011, 11:25:03 AM »
Make official plox.

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2011, 01:47:28 PM »
Stickied and moved to 'Guides' board
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 01:49:20 PM by YankeeSamurai »
o7

Offline Delta1116732

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2011, 11:04:06 PM »
This is really good I used to use it all the time on the old server I played at and he is really right play to lose, make it enjoyable for the other players and if you are rping a fight make sure to get hit every now and then. It may not be the best for the character but it will create good RP to me anyways what do you think?

Out of Character for OOC:
Colombo Beniamino: i'm honestly contemplating joining NOVA even though i don't like medical RP because it actually has active DvL

Offline GeneralTrivium

• Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2011, 08:53:48 AM »
** CCA.C18.UNIFORM-DvL.324 runs into the alley.
** Jackson 'Dynamite' Boerson sees the DvL, and sneaks up on him from behind.
** CCA.C18.UNIFORM-DvL.324 notices the citizen.
** Jackson 'Dynamite' Boerson attempts to hit the DvL's face with a plank, knocking him out.
** CCA.C18.UNIFORM-DvL.324 attempts to doge, but gets hit.
** CCA.C18.UNIFORM-DvL.324 steps backwards after getting hit, shaking his head.
** CCA.C18.UNIFORM-DvL.324 goes forwards, pulling his stunstick out
** Jackson 'Dynamite' Boerson drops his plank, and runs.

** CCA.C18.UNIFORM-DvL.324 radios in...

More like...

** CCA.C18.UNIFORM-DvL.324 runs into the alley.
** Jackson 'Dynamite' Boerson sees the DvL, and sneaks up on him from behind.
** CCA.C18.UNIFORM-DvL.324 notices the citizen.
** Jackson 'Dynamite' Boerson attempts to hit the DvL's face with a plank, knocking him out.
** CCA.C18.UNIFORM-DvL.324 raises his arm in an "L" block, the plank breaking in half across it
Jackson 'Dynamite' Boerson says: "... Oh sh-"
** CCA.C18.UNIFORM-DvL.324 uses death stare
** Jackson 'Dynamite' Boerson's mind explodes

In all seriousness, yes, this is a very good guide and I will be sure to have it in my bookmarks to link to people.

However, I believe if you're tied, some powergaming may be appropriate. Because you cannot defend yourself, "attempting" to do something on a tied person will just break the flow a bit, as 99 times out of 100 they would respond with "/me gets hit". Unless you're about to kill said tied person.

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2011, 04:07:34 PM »
This should be added to the guides list on the server.

Offline [CBC]Nickorai

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2011, 04:26:56 PM »
I like this except for the fact that people will change their physdesc to something unrealistic, sch as `Super strong, extremely fast runner`Etc and not have any flaws to avoid having to ever comprimise and lose.

Otherwise, This is good. Better then /roll anyways.

Offline Dewfan97

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2011, 01:07:33 AM »
I never thought of playing to lose before. I might start doing that because it seems like every time I /roll I either get a 1, 12, or 6. This also seems like a cool way to spice up the rp.

Offline SinfullSkill

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2012, 05:56:29 PM »
Thanks for the guide! :D  I didnt even know what PTL was but this guide explains it well! thanks for helpin out a noob :3

Offline Airforce32123

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2012, 01:55:25 PM »
Ok, having read the entire thread, I think you guys make some good points for PTL, but there are a couple of things I want to address. In a situation where it's Citizen on Citizen(which has already happened to me twice in my two weeks here) with basically no advantages for either side, how do you determine who wins? It seems to me that if you are nothing PTLing then you're both going to lose. Another thing I'm curious about is the CP v Citizen fight that everyone's so up in arms about. Though I understand that a CP is better fed and has some armor. It seems like a citizen would be more determined to win or escape in a fight, while the CP has nothing to lose. If you add the fact that a citizen could easily find a brick laying about it seems a bit more even. Now I understand the ridiculousness of a citizen "/me hits the CP in the face with a plank and knocks him unconscious." and then rolling better than the CP. I think that it would be better to have the person being hit determine the effect of the hit.

Eg.

C: Citizen swings the plank as hard as he can at the CP's head.
U: The CP attempts to duck underneath the plank.
C: Citizen rolls 60 out of 100
U: The CP rolls 50 out of 100
U: The plank connects with the CP's head, hitting his faceplate and temporarily stunning him.
--Since the CP has better knowledge of the durability of his armor, he understands that a plank to the face isn't enough to fully incapacitate him. But enough to stun him for a bit. So by playing to lose he knows that if he has just been stunned, he wouldn't be able to strike back immediately.

U:[LOOC] Ok, since I just got stunned you'd have another chance to hit me or run or something.
C:[LOOC] If I ran would your character be able to chase me?
U:[LOOC] Probably not.
C: The citizen turns away from the stunned CP and sprints down the alley.

I'll go ahead and acknowledge that I'm not the best RP'er, but I thought it was a good idea and wanted to see what you guys think.

Erik Parker - Alive - Resident of City 45

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2012, 02:01:34 PM »
Although the rool system is dumb, it gives people a chance to actually win. It is fair, I should say.

Offline [IGL] Shanaro

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2012, 07:22:55 PM »
Make it official now, I can't agree with you more:

/roll, for the purposes of hl2rp, is INCREDIBLY dumb, and makes no sense, if I'm an augmented DVL, and a random, under-fed citizen goes to hit me, it's almost certain the citizen won't be able to do much, if any damage to me, but with /roll, they can basicly power game their way to punching me in the face.

RPers should be mature enough to work out who wins between them, even if its takes a bit of LOOCing, a script shouldn't RP for you...

Regardless of augmentation, still take momentum into effect, and if you were to throw a punch and someone were to counter by deflecting, or kneeing you in the stomach, you need to Roleplay just as realistically, just because your DvL, doesn't mean your invincible either, it just means your more durable, and stronger, doesn't mean you can take hits and act like nothing happened, plus your not fully augmented as well, meaning you have weak spots. Refer to my combat roleplay guide for more information as I'll be updated it soon.

http://www.catalyst-gaming.net/index.php?topic=9563.0

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2012, 05:12:31 PM »
Oh! I see now, thanks these guides help a bunch! ;D

Offline Jasdahlk

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2012, 05:45:38 AM »
Eg.

C: Citizen swings the plank as hard as he can at the CP's head.
U: The CP attempts to duck underneath the plank.
C: Citizen rolls 60 out of 100
U: The CP rolls 50 out of 100
U: The plank connects with the CP's head, hitting his faceplate and temporarily stunning him.
--Since the CP has better knowledge of the durability of his armor, he understands that a plank to the face isn't enough to fully incapacitate him. But enough to stun him for a bit. So by playing to lose he knows that if he has just been stunned, he wouldn't be able to strike back immediately.

U:[LOOC] Ok, since I just got stunned you'd have another chance to hit me or run or something.
C:[LOOC] If I ran would your character be able to chase me?
U:[LOOC] Probably not.
C: The citizen turns away from the stunned CP and sprints down the alley.

While this is a perfectly valid use of rolling with PTL, in my opinion, it's still not as "efficient" as a purely /me'd fight.
Comparing two fights I had recently on another HL2RP server:
I was cornered in some apartments after being chased by my friend, a CP unit on said server. We had a fight using /roll that looked a little something like this:

*Citizen throws a punch at CP's chest.
*CP tries to dodge.
*Citizen rolls 69.
*CP rolls 30.
*CP gets hit, then swings stunstick at Citizen.
*Citizen tries to dodge left.
*Citizen rolls 20.
*CP rolls 72.
*Citizen gets hit and stumbles back...

Now, don't get me wrong -- it was still fun. But it kinda felt like a bad RPG, and not nearly as enjoyable as the following fight, when backup showed up:

*Citizen throws a punch at the side of Recruit's head.
*Recruit steps back and the blow glances off his helmet. Recruit retaliates by bringing his stunstick down on Citizen's shoulder.
*Citizen takes the hit, going down on one knee. He quickly stands up, throwing another punch at the Recruit's chest.
*Recruit is hit and stumbles back before stepping forward again...

Roleplay-wise, the same amount of action is going on, but it was much less choppy and felt more engaging. It helped that we were both willing to take hits instead of just dealing them out.

Hypothetically speaking, someone could only dish out hits (keeping with the fight scenario) but if the other person is willing to go with it, it can still be enjoyable.

Anyway...
Thanks to the OP for giving an in-depth description of PTL. More people should use it! :D
HL2RP Character(s):

John Ark (CID:88210) {} ALIVE {} Adjusting to life in City 45

Gerald Furman (CID: 14500) {} ALIVE {} Waiting for an inteview to join the CWU

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal