Author Topic: Wipe and put restrictions on profile pics  (Read 10087 times)

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Wipe and put restrictions on profile pics
« on: January 31, 2013, 04:42:38 PM »
Since it was discovered that forum profile pics were causing the stupid lag for the forums I am suggesting these two things

1. Limit the height x width dimensions of profile pictures to something suitable like 200x200 or 230x230, so we don't have people using oversized images that have to be resized by the forums which has been causing the issues.

2. (Optional) Wipe everyone's profile picture to remove the lag so people can then put their profile pics back within the dimension size.

3. (Alternative with number 2) Remove the ability to use image urls as profile pics, keep the dimension restriction and add a file size restriction to images to further reduce lag.

It's really bothersome having to see each forum page take like 3-5 seconds to load within this past weak so I made these suggestions which can obviously be improved upon or discussed by everyone else.

EDIT: Thanks to smt for this

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/fXMuFl95N/http://www.catalyst-gaming.net
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 04:49:19 PM by Abbott »

Offline Crap-Head

• #OCRP2
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Wipe and put restrictions on profile pics
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 05:14:49 PM »
With profile pics, you mean signature, right?
Please do not add me on Steam because you have in-game problems. Make a thread in the correct board on the forum and i will respond to that whenever i have time.

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 05:25:39 PM »
With profile pics, you mean signature, right?

No, he means avatars, when you load the index.php the load time is being bogged down by using using massive images or gifs that take seconds to load (2 seconds is a lot for a webpage loading, and CG takes up to 8+ seconds)

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 11:35:51 PM »
If it were up to me you wouldn't have signatures or avatars, they're stupid.

Since it's not up to me, I tried doing this once, only to find everyone hated it and demand it undone. It was.

So make up your minds and I might care.

Offline alaskan thunderfuck

• Owner
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 01:01:44 AM »
Disable signatures and see how that helps for now.
Please don't PM me regarding bans or anything having to do with in-game situations. Only PM me if you've been told I am the only one who can solve your issue.

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 01:04:07 AM »
Done.

Note: Your signatures are still there, they aren't gone. You didn't lose all your precious BBC code (yes people actually worry about this).

Though I should point out that the most time taken during the average page load is not images, it's the execution of the php file (index.php takes, on average, 3.2seconds to execute). This is something with SMF being terribly optimized and not utilizing caching libraries which would decrease load times drastically.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 01:07:27 AM by Somone77 »

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 06:37:20 AM »
I'm not sure why disabling signatures help when the main issue is loading the front page, which is the page that takes multiple seconds to load due to admin's avatars on the front page

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 02:03:16 PM »
Done.

Note: Your signatures are still there, they aren't gone. You didn't lose all your precious BBC code (yes people actually worry about this).

Though I should point out that the most time taken during the average page load is not images, it's the execution of the php file (index.php takes, on average, 3.2seconds to execute). This is something with SMF being terribly optimized and not utilizing caching libraries which would decrease load times drastically.

and yet nothing was solved in disabling signatures apart from the fact we have no signatures now, the insane load times still exist

Offline EmperorDisasster

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 05:05:45 PM »
Done.

and yet nothing was solved in disabling signatures apart from the fact we have no signatures now, the insane load times still exist

Are you sure? Cause the only time I'm having loading troubles now are when I'm actually posting, but when looking at posts it just goes like that.
im bach

Offline aeiou

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 05:24:00 PM »
I don't have any problems at all

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 05:33:08 PM »

It seems to change, sometimes I load the front page/forums front page in 2~ seconds sometimes it seems to take 8+ seconds

Offline aeiou

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 05:39:55 PM »
I haven't had an issue with it forever, but I won't deny it's there

Offline Hardcore

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 05:42:55 PM »
Its kinda funny because I never experience any slow loading, it takes maximum 2 seconds for mine to load and I'm located far away from the host if that makes any difference.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 05:45:11 PM by Hardcore - Linux »

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 05:54:30 PM »
It may be more related to the routing to EU, both Pingdom's american test locations get <2-4 seconds time (and that's maximum, site is usually displayed before that) while the one EU one is usually 6-8~ seconds

Offline Somone77

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 07:53:25 PM »
Stop talking like you're web developers, k.

The pictures don't do shit to load times. They're cached, they take less than 200ms to load unless you've never seen it before.

The problem is that we have forum software loaded with bloat that gets executed on every page load, like I said before, the time spent is not downloading it's waiting for the webserver to return the result, ergo not the pictures.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal