Author Topic: Authorization to use the HL2RP Map?  (Read 10705 times)

Offline Jeff2307

•    
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Authorization to use the HL2RP Map?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 08:12:49 AM »
If the city map is THAT good, then just play here then.

Did you even read the thread? He wants to use it in his community not play on it! --'

Offline Klashy

• ( . Y . )
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 03:21:40 PM »
No, But I'll bet my bottom dollar that you didn't read the terms of use for Microsoft, and you have no knowledge of the licenses that you provide to others through your computer with the simple actions you cause. Such as uploading, downloading, and using programs on their computers to make things. And don't try to blind side me by putting words in my mouth with your ridiculous hyperbole's. I'm not some inter-fag. I'm a college bound law major who actually reads what he agree's to.

Having said that, it's obvious no one else read the terms of use of the Valve Developer Community. It clearly states uploading a map created on source SDK or any valve program grant's a license to all public users to do the following: (1) make, use, copy, modify, create derivative works of such Posted Material, (2) publicly perform or display, import, broadcast, transmit, distribute, license, offer to sell, and sell, rent, lease or lend copies of the Posted Material (and derivative works thereof), and (3) sublicense to third parties the foregoing rights, including the right to sublicense to further third parties. Your license to other users is further subject to the terms of the users' valid license(s) to Valve games, including the Steam Subscriber Agreement.

To the Developers of the map:

With regard to Posted Material that You post, edit, or otherwise contribute to a Developer Site, You grant to Valve and to all users of the Developer Site a worldwide, nonexclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty free, fully paid up license, in connection with the Source engine and Source SDK (and games, mods and other products based thereon), to: (1) make, use, copy, modify, create derivative works of such Posted Material, (2) publicly perform or display, import, broadcast, transmit, distribute, license, offer to sell, and sell, rent, lease or lend copies of the Posted Material (and derivative works thereof), and (3) sublicense to third parties the foregoing rights, including the right to sublicense to further third parties. Your license to other users is further subject to the terms of the users' valid license(s) to the Source engine and/or Source SDK (and games, mods and other products based thereon).

Source: The Valve Developer Community

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Developer_Community:Terms_of_Use

The information is all there. You decide to make something on a free program for a game that someone else made, which is in the case "Valve," and the second someone loads to your garry's mod server or website, they're granted a license for it's use, or else they'd be paying you personally to have access to your server, which is prohibited by Valve, which is why we disguise it as "Donating."
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 03:24:03 PM by oG] | [cG] Klashy »

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 12:17:32 AM »
Spoiler for Hiden:
No, But I'll bet my bottom dollar that you didn't read the terms of use for Microsoft, and you have no knowledge of the licenses that you provide to others through your computer with the simple actions you cause. Such as uploading, downloading, and using programs on their computers to make things. And don't try to blind side me by putting words in my mouth with your ridiculous hyperbole's. I'm not some inter-fag. I'm a college bound law major who actually reads what he agree's to.

Having said that, it's obvious no one else read the terms of use of the Valve Developer Community. It clearly states uploading a map created on source SDK or any valve program grant's a license to all public users to do the following: (1) make, use, copy, modify, create derivative works of such Posted Material, (2) publicly perform or display, import, broadcast, transmit, distribute, license, offer to sell, and sell, rent, lease or lend copies of the Posted Material (and derivative works thereof), and (3) sublicense to third parties the foregoing rights, including the right to sublicense to further third parties. Your license to other users is further subject to the terms of the users' valid license(s) to Valve games, including the Steam Subscriber Agreement.

To the Developers of the map:

With regard to Posted Material that You post, edit, or otherwise contribute to a Developer Site, You grant to Valve and to all users of the Developer Site a worldwide, nonexclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty free, fully paid up license, in connection with the Source engine and Source SDK (and games, mods and other products based thereon), to: (1) make, use, copy, modify, create derivative works of such Posted Material, (2) publicly perform or display, import, broadcast, transmit, distribute, license, offer to sell, and sell, rent, lease or lend copies of the Posted Material (and derivative works thereof), and (3) sublicense to third parties the foregoing rights, including the right to sublicense to further third parties. Your license to other users is further subject to the terms of the users' valid license(s) to the Source engine and/or Source SDK (and games, mods and other products based thereon).

Source: The Valve Developer Community

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Developer_Community:Terms_of_Use

The information is all there. You decide to make something on a free program for a game that someone else made, which is in the case "Valve," and the second someone loads to your garry's mod server or website, they're granted a license for it's use, or else they'd be paying you personally to have access to your server, which is prohibited by Valve, which is why we disguise it as "Donating."

So, you're saying your life is run by laws only? No etiquitte or respect? That etiquitte being we would rather you not use the map? Thanks. We asked you not to use it and you went ahead and told us we cant do that. So what? Life isnt set by laws. People are civilized in this world and when someone asks you do do something, that doesn't mean go find a reason why they cant tell you not to do it...

Fine. Go use the fucking map. We obviously cant stop you but we would PREFER you didn't. Make the decision here.

P.S.

We can decompile maps and use their content all we want with no credit. The creators cannot charge us or anything. We dont do it cause we respect the creators. We ask the creators prior to decompiling cause its the right thing to do.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 12:20:10 AM by Statua »

Offline Klashy

• ( . Y . )
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 01:07:16 PM »
Statua, I tried to have the respect for you, by asking me what you wanted me to keep in the map to symbolize cG or something. I'm leaving the credits to the mappers. But we're going to use the map. You should be proud.

Offline Khub

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 02:56:58 PM »
Statua, I tried to have the respect for you, by asking me what you wanted me to keep in the map to symbolize cG or something. I'm leaving the credits to the mappers. But we're going to use the map. You should be proud.
Why were you asking for authorization, if you still were about to use the map, not depending on RoflWaffle or someone other's decision?

Offline Klashy

• ( . Y . )
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 03:10:56 PM »
Why were you asking for authorization, if you still were about to use the map, not depending on RoflWaffle or someone other's decision?

You've caught an argument fallacy, good work. At first I was asking permission until I realized that I didn't need it, you guys all ready gave me a license to redistribute, use, and do whatever I wanted with it the second that I connected to your server and downloaded the map, credentials are stated above in a previous post in this thread. However, I am trying to be respectful and ask you what guidelines you'd like me to follow using the map, If the credits need to stay, so on and so forth, because this map will be edited soon enough anyways to run on less rare textures.

Offline Semiorph

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 03:41:03 PM »
  You changed rather quickly from respecting their feelings on the usage of the map to the exact opposite and applying irrelevant legal terms to your argument. Rofl already stated that they would prefer you not to use the map even though they can not stop you. Stop bringing the terms of use into the argument as it is a matter of respect for the people who made the map, not a matter of "Well, the terms of use say I can so up yours."
  As Statua said, it's up to you weither to use the map or not, but it isn't about it being legal or not to do so. It's about weither or not you respect the creators enough to oblige their request to not use the map. They don't want credit, what they want is for you not to use the map. Obviously, even though you say you respect them, you don't or you would understand and not blow them off and do whatever the hell you want.
HL2RP Characters
CCA.C45.APEX-02.929: Maintaing sociostabilty

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 04:29:28 PM »
We would prefer you not use the map but if you're going to go and use it anyway, at least have SOME heart and provide a clear sign of credit. As in, dont change the map name and upon putting it on the server, include credit. Still not OK with you using it but its your decision.

/thread

Offline Klashy

• ( . Y . )
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 05:02:43 PM »
The credits will remain clear, the map name shall not change.

Offline swag master spiderman

• Grand Wizard of the KKK
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 04:17:13 PM »

Did you even read the thread? He wants to use it in his community not play on it! --'

No, I believe I slammed my head onto the keyboard and posted that response. I was trying to say simply that if the city map is as good as he says, just play here with some guys from the community instead of taking the map against the creators wishes. But it looks like they have worked out some sort of agreement anyways.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 04:32:52 PM »

No, I believe I slammed my head onto the keyboard and posted that response. I was trying to say simply that if the city map is as good as he says, just play here with some guys from the community instead of taking the map against the creators wishes. But it looks like they have worked out some sort of agreement anyways.
It hasnt been agreed on however we cant stop him so I was giving him some pointers on how not to get us to kick his ass if he does use it. (no, not i'm an idiot for assuming things, thats for ittle skiddies)

Offline Super Supreme Admiral Justin

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 05:09:35 PM »
Bomb incoming

Now stop bickering.
Graphic artist | Web Designer | Gamer

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [GMR2 Award] 100 MPH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 06:11:51 PM »
Bomb incoming

Now stop bickering.

I'm pretty sure he lost his say about the map when he decided to release it on the internet.

Seriously. Everyone can use the map. It's for grabs everywhere and we really can't do anything to stop you from using it.
Besides, we use Evocity for OCRP which like millions of other servers use as well. What's the big fucking deal? <.<

It's just a map! Stop trying to act like this guy is trying to use your girlfriend to get laid... Holy hell.
Check out my Youtube channel with all kinds of cool videos including LP's which I'm currently working at. Don't forget to give feedback as well. ;)

Offline Klashy

• ( . Y . )
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 08:42:09 PM »
I appreciate it! Thanks! :D

Offline Super Supreme Admiral Justin

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 09:38:52 PM »
Bomb incoming

Now stop bickering.

I'm pretty sure he lost his say about the map when he decided to release it on the internet.

Seriously. Everyone can use the map. It's for grabs everywhere and we really can't do anything to stop you from using it.
Besides, we use Evocity for OCRP which like millions of other servers use as well. What's the big fucking deal? <.<

It's just a map! Stop trying to act like this guy is trying to use your girlfriend to get laid... Holy hell.

Thanks nick
Graphic artist | Web Designer | Gamer

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal