Author Topic: Hard Candy  (Read 3713 times)

Offline Doctor Nice roButt

• The Lag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Hard Candy
« on: April 18, 2014, 05:17:11 AM »
I just had a movie night and ended up watching the Ellen Page movie Hard Candy. It's basically about a young girl who meets up with an older guy, who she thinks is a pedophile, and the chaos that ensues when they get to his house.

I enjoyed it a lot. It was a great thriller and sort of a guilty pleasure film, as it has a scene that has to do with genitals and an action for specific people, an action I used to support, even if just as a joke. That sounds really vague, but I don't want to spoil anything.

I recommend you watch it if you like Ellen Page, thrillers, a bit or torture (both physical and mental), and hate pedophiles.

"Bert John: Grammer, English, your sentence isn't making sense. "

Offline Rory

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Dedicated Player [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Hard Candy
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 09:18:52 AM »
Never heard of it but the only Ellen Page movie I've seen is Juno and that was good, and Beyond Two Souls if you don't count it as a game.

Offline [CA] KiwieeEh

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 02:06:12 PM »
Hard candy was an interesting film when I watched it. I enjoyed it for sure and would recommend it. It's well directed and constructed IMO.

Side note; Two souls was a film. You don't release an "interactive" game that forces options upon you in a 16:10 ratio which is preserved only for the big screen. The fact is most TVs don't have the rail. You spend the whole game staring at two black lines either side of the action wondering why it wasn't just a film.
"If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you son.
I've got 99 problems, but a bitch ain't one."

"Have a great evening, sorry, maple syrup, eh, moose, and ice hockey to you!"

"Maybe it's not my weekend, but it's gonna' be my year."

Offline Pirate Robot

• DEAD
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 07:36:17 PM »
Spoiler for Movie:
I thought the movie was terrible, I absolutely hated the main character and found her honestly not to be believable as a character. All  her quirky comments and unbelievable knowledge that surpassed any of a 14 year old and complete calmness when cutting off some guys genitals, fucking unbelievably and a horribly written and crazy character. The paedophile on the other hand I was practically rooting for him the entire movie, it was hard not be on his side when you have such a dumb character on the other end of the spectrum who is supposedly 'good' , he didn't deserve what he got and I honestly don't care if you don't agree with me. The whole story was pretty weak lets be honest, like that bullshit about the paedophiles old model who he loved or some BS and that kid who got kidnapped. Man I wish that bitch  got fucking sliced up.

Offline Doctor Nice roButt

• The Lag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 05:56:12 AM »
Spoiler for Movie:
I thought the movie was terrible, I absolutely hated the main character and found her honestly not to be believable as a character. All  her quirky comments and unbelievable knowledge that surpassed any of a 14 year old and complete calmness when cutting off some guys genitals, fucking unbelievably and a horribly written and crazy character. The paedophile on the other hand I was practically rooting for him the entire movie, it was hard not be on his side when you have such a dumb character on the other end of the spectrum who is supposedly 'good' , he didn't deserve what he got and I honestly don't care if you don't agree with me. The whole story was pretty weak lets be honest, like that bullshit about the paedophiles old model who he loved or some BS and that kid who got kidnapped. Man I wish that bitch  got fucking sliced up.

Out of Character for OOC:
Haley was confirmed to be lying most of the time, what's to say she's not lying about her age? It was actually in the script for her to reveal that she was 18, but Ellen thought it distracted from the purpose of the character. If she was 18, it would make sense how she knew so much, but at the same time she lied about knowing how to perform surgery and was probably reading directly from the book the entire time to make it seem believable.

I was kinda feeling bad for Jeff until it started to reveal more how much of a horrible person he was. He could have ended the game by calling the police when he had the chance the first time, but he didn't in order to save himself from being discovered as a pedophile. He could have ended it after Haley went to go shower, but he decided to extract revenge instead. He could have ended it after he escaped from the noose in the house, but he choose to per sure Haley to kill her. He made a remark about thanking Haley for letting him be his true self, which was an ultra-violent person. He was revealed to either be an accomplice in the murder, taking photos of the girl, or actually committing it, as the other person involved claimed that it was Jeff who killed the girl. He chose death over being found out and facing the consequences. By  the end of the movie,meh had no redeemable qualities, which was a kind of nice process as you slowly lost sympathy for him.

By the way, it revealed he wasn't castrated. I guess you missed that. It was revealed that the castration he was watching was just a video of one, and the tug he felt when his balls were coming off was just a clamp. He's able to walk fine afterwards because nothing happened. Im guessing she either used fake blood or blood she stole from her dad's work. She had what looked like testicles in the glass, but those were either fake or previously removed ones she stole. The whole thing was revealed to be a farce, that was the point of it.

And another thing. The story wasn't about about the love interest or a kidnapping. It was about a murder that Jeff had participated in and the fact that he might do it again. The love interest was just brought up to get Jeff to reveal information, open the safe, and force him to make a decision on whether to face the consequences of his actions or kill himself so she doesn't know. She was more of a motivating force and less of a plot.

You say he didn't deserve what he got, but in the end, he brought it upon himself. I suppose since you didn't realize there was a murder (not sure how?) you'd think him committing suicide was a bad ending, but it WAS a murder. Haley only messed with him psychologically, save for the drugs and tasering him (she seemed genuinely worried that she might of killed him even then) and general fighting when he attacked her. Also, I guess the ropes. In the end, Haley doesn't kill Jeff, but Jeff kills himself. You can call it an ultimatum: kill yourself or be revealed, but in the end Jeff chose death over being humiliated. Of course, that doesn't excuse Haley from what she did. She didn't kill him, he killed himself, and she wasn't threatening him bodily harm if he didn't, just that he'd have to climb down and face the music. It's sort of like a cop pulling a gun on a criminal and saying that they can either drop their weapon and go to jail or attack them and be shot and killed.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 06:22:06 AM by Doctor Nice roButt »

"Bert John: Grammer, English, your sentence isn't making sense. "

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal