Author Topic: Beginning a New Form of Resistance RP  (Read 2816 times)

Offline deleted

• View Profile
    • Awards
Beginning a New Form of Resistance RP
« on: April 25, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
Mmkay. I've seen SOOOOO many webuls and minges pretending to be Gordon Freeman, and I may not have played HL2 or any expansions for it, but I know one thing. Rebels didn't run to District 6 to evade units. I will use District 6 sometimes, like for meetings, but I've decided to make a second character.

Teaser name: "The Liberator" (Not the Planetside and Planetside 2 soon to be bomber/gunship combo). I'm gonna show a lot of people the means of rebellion. Check the IC Chat section for more info once I get it posted. I haven't thought of a name for the Resistance group yet, I'll need as many ideas as I can get. As the player of a CCA unit, 036, and soon to be, "The Liberator", I would like to (Warning, you've all heard this before)

Have District 6 open to the CCA. That will give the webuls and mingebags nowhere to hide. And it will make Resistance RP come around much more. Think. We could hide in the different apartments, UCH and D6 Apartments like they did in HL2. We could hold secret meeting, assassinate units, throw propaganda around, and then we'll REALLY be a problem for the Civil Protection. Evading units isn't mingerunning. It's sticking in the shadows, trusting only those who can be trusted, and TACTICS.

So... That's all the info I'm going to give for now.
Click to see the original size.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Beginning a New Form of Resistance RP
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 12:49:08 PM »
Sounds good but the name. First of all, drop the 'The' it makes it look derpy. Second, Liberator is way too similar to The Liberation Movement or TLM. Which is an organized resistance group who travels from city to outlands often, run by Tor Curdless.

Offline Airborne1st

• I'm White
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 01:34:35 PM »
Sounds fine mostly, but I don't know about "Assassinating units." I can tell you right now, that people will try to join your group just to kill units. "Assassinating units" isn't something you can just go around doing, anyway. Especially without powergaming in some way. You can't really assassinate a unit anyway without getting your hands on a silenced sniper rifle and shooting from a long distance, hidden position. Walking up to a unit on the street and stabbing them from behind is a bit powergamish. I don't really see how you have any alternative to assassinating units than the sniper rifle method. Also, HL2RP isn't about the CCA being afraid of rebels or resistance groups, its the other way around, which is partially why we don't have an official resistance group on the servers. Correct rebel RP in HL2RP is about trying to survive and escape Combine rule and help your fellow citizens survive and escape it, not fighting back by assassinating units and taking their gear to help stage an uprising.

I'm all for proving that its possible to have a successful rebel group with great rebel RP right in D1 under the CCA's nose though. Which is very possible.

Offline Globey

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 01:42:55 PM »
The webuls should be in fear of the CCA - Conversely, CCA units shouldn't be completely at ease.
If units are 'asassinated' they shouldn't be PKed. The characters have been developed over the course of weeks, months, or in certain cases, years.
Attacking from behind isn't really powergame. It's a valid tactic.
IEDs and such would be the best bet  - Guerilla warfare is key.

Good idea, overall.
C45.CCA.GRID-DvL.604 - Healthy - Executing citizens. Tally: 4
John Gatsby - Healthy - Celebrating, having detonated an explosive melon in front of two CA's

--------------------------
Cutlass, Sail and Cannon:
Ernest Cumberbatch, Port Royal, Governor. Governing.
John Gatsby, of the brigantine Brimstone. Amputating Limbs

Offline deleted

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 02:01:04 PM »
Liberators is taken? That idea's out. And you assassinate units with makeshift knives with attempts, Kevlar, 2016 editions are weak at the neck (Like the Uruks) and we can easily stab them in the back of the neck... Until we get new methods. And yeah... I have a Combine Civil Authority unit and for units, it's always a PK. Wish they could do NLR kills for units.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:04:03 PM by Zaughi »

Offline Globey

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 02:17:38 PM »
For units? Not in my experience.
C45.CCA.GRID-DvL.604 - Healthy - Executing citizens. Tally: 4
John Gatsby - Healthy - Celebrating, having detonated an explosive melon in front of two CA's

--------------------------
Cutlass, Sail and Cannon:
Ernest Cumberbatch, Port Royal, Governor. Governing.
John Gatsby, of the brigantine Brimstone. Amputating Limbs

Offline deleted

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 02:24:57 PM »
Well, I'll find a name anyway. IC Chat section for sign-ups, I'll have them up in about 30 minutes to an hour. Or less, possibly.

Offline Airborne1st

• I'm White
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 08:44:28 PM »
When I mention attacking from behind is powergame-ish, I mean it takes truly skilled RPers to correctly attack from behind with attempts and everything. When someone has the opportunity to attack a unit from behind with validity, they want to take advantage of it and get carried away. It leaves too much room for people to accidentally powergame, and trust me, it will happen if just about anyone could get involved with this.

Also, Globey makes another good point that I vaguely tried to touch on. Its the fact that you can't simply attack a unit from behind, stab them in the neck, have it be reasonable, resulting in that unit's PK, and just move on like that. For once, yes, CCA units need to have a special privilege to go by NLR if this sort of thing is going to be done. Believe it or not, as Globey said, people put months and even years of work into their units. If I lost my 01 unit that I've put 4 months of being on almost every day into just because some rebel group wanted to assassinate units, I'd probably stop playing on the City server. Call it what you want, be it "You're not a truly devoted RPer" or whatever else you can think of, I probably wouldn't play on it anymore. Its not even so much of losing the character, its the fact of losing 4 months of hard work almost every single day, and building a back story that started from when the unit was a citizen, which goes back even further, and the fact that I'd be losing my service record that I'm trying to build. That's something that no unit is willing to lose. Not to mention, my unit was allowed to remain in the CCA after the reform, unlike many.

The sort of thing you're talking about doing with assassinating units is something that would have to be done during a special event monitored by admins or something. No PK's are during events, and assassinations are something typically done in an event anyway. You can't just stab a unit in the next from behind, and make them lose months of hard work.

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 12:18:30 AM »
So what set CCA above resistance members? Some of us have been around a lot longer than your 01 but would still be PK'd the moment we get killed by a roleplayed death(Such as an amputation).
But when you get down to it there are most likely a large number of people who have plans for their character OR have worked on their character longer than you but you'd burn them like it was nothing?

I think that Each member of the CCA(Besides high command because if we did this with them the CCA would be even shittier) should be able to be killed and PK'd if the death is proper, because the CCA would do the same with a normal citizen no matter the amount of time they spent on that character.
1:23 PM - Pvt. Emory[113thCav]: I think 604 is a cat :3

2:07 PM - Juggernaut: Monkey with a gun
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: + Chunkeymonkey79
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: =
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: CHUNKYMONKEY WITH A GUN69
2:07 PM - chunkeymonkey79: YOU SIR ARE GOD

9:52 PM - Rory Phelps: gosh god damnit fuck my ass

Offline Orange - Cisco Certified

• aSK mE aBOUT mY pENIS
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 12:44:21 AM »
What sets CCA apart is that it takes a very long time to regain your post. Say my 01 was killed tomorrow because some lolrebel wanted to get my gun. There goes all the effort I placed in the application, all the effort I placed in joining ZEALOT, all the effort I placed in working my way up. As a rebel, you understand what you're getting into. Should you be killed, then it's on you. Rebel RP shouldn't be a safe haven, you should feel the threat of being killed at any moment. And unlike a Unit, you can be a rebel without anything prior (application ect..)

And assuming that all CCA would simply PK just because is immature. I don't take PKs lightly, and when I do kill someone ICly (and it's for something light, such as avoiding arrest or whatnot) I offer then the chance to be NLR'd. But if you're caught with a gun, or a knife. Then you know that you're placing your character on the line.

Offline TorrentGamer ?Romney2012

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 08:14:44 AM »
What sets CCA apart is that it takes a very long time to regain your post. Say my 01 was killed tomorrow because some lolrebel wanted to get my gun. There goes all the effort I placed in the application, all the effort I placed in joining ZEALOT, all the effort I placed in working my way up. As a rebel, you understand what you're getting into. Should you be killed, then it's on you. Rebel RP shouldn't be a safe haven, you should feel the threat of being killed at any moment. And unlike a Unit, you can be a rebel without anything prior (application ect..)

And assuming that all CCA would simply PK just because is immature. I don't take PKs lightly, and when I do kill someone ICly (and it's for something light, such as avoiding arrest or whatnot) I offer then the chance to be NLR'd. But if you're caught with a gun, or a knife. Then you know that you're placing your character on the line.

CCA units should also understand what they're getting into. A unit is just the same as any citizen, they're still a RPer, they're still a person, and they'll still have threats. So how is it fair that people who have worked even longer than some of these units, are allowed to lose there Character development, but not the CCA? There are some points where lolwebuls are a fail, and there are times where you may be taken hostage in some kind of instance and you'll go, "Wtf." But look at it this way - rebels get raided, they also have that unpredicability of getting PK'ed in a 10 second gunfight.

On another note, I do agree that NLR or TPK's would work better, the only thing is people don't like that for some reason. Maybe its because these units have never had there unit/great character PK'ed?
\\r\\ncolor annoys me, barely anyone is black, unlike last year\\r\\n
\\r\\n\\r\\n

Offline Airborne1st

• I'm White
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 10:19:36 AM »
Lance Briggs states a good point. That is the very reason why you can't simply kill a unit and have it be fair for them to be PK'd. However, it is acceptable for a unit to be PK'd if the death is understood to be proper by both parties, just as it is when rebel characters are captured after a fierce gunfight or raid and taken back to the Nexus. Also, the typical rebel character has put maybe a month into their character, and they're nothing special. Its not hard for them to start over, since all they had on them was likely a radio and some health vials anyway and maybe a pistol. The high profile rebel characters that actually HAVE put just as much time into their characters as an experienced CCA unit aren't PK'd like hot cakes. Its a rare thing that is usually their decision anyway. I forget their names, but a few months back, two very high profile rebels actually turned themselves in to be killed. The CCA didn't go find them and kill them just to get them PK'd, they turned themselves in, knowing they would die and get PK'd. That's how most high profile rebels are caught anyway. Its through an understanding on both sides that they're going to get PK'd and they accept it. The same thing has to be done with units, because of the time and work that unit has put into their character, going back to day one when they joined the server. Some of our members have service records of literal years, where they've played on other servers and transferred ICly to City 45. You can't simply hop down behind a unit like that, attempt to stab them in the neck, be successful due to the circumstances, and then have that unit be PK'd. On the same note, I wouldn't expect it to be that easy to get a high profile rebel character that's put months into their character to get PK'd by something as simple as a stray bullet.

Basically, your typical rebel character, a PK isn't a big deal because its easy to restart. High profile rebel characters, a PK isn't something you just do, because of the time they've put into their character. Their capture is something that needs to be RP'd with an understanding from both sides of what's going to happen. CCA units, especially high ranking ones, a PK isn't just done on them for the same reason.

Don't go thinking units never get PK'd either, because they do. Its almost always due to their own understanding that they will die, but a few units have been killed due to messing up too much, which results in a PK. What you have to do and go through to get a unit should give you the peace of mind that you can't be PK'd by something as simple as someone on the street trying to stab you in the neck. Same goes for high profile rebel characters.

Offline deleted

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 11:13:33 AM »
Yeah. I agree that unit kills shouldn't always be PK's, just NLR and TPK, PK only when it is accepted by the killer and the player. I play 036, so I know how you guys feel. Oh, just a heads up. "Reaper Zero", or the Resistance Movement leader, was killed in the UCH. He was slitting the throat of a traitor, Bill Lector, and the whole sector came in and killed me. (Injured three units on my way down with knives by throwing them, used my main knife to stab a 02, 702 took two throwing knives and 212 was also injured). They put like, 7-10 bullets into me so...
Spoiler for Hiden:
Yeah. Now I gotta do a follow-up character for the position of The Reaper of The Black Infinitium (Resistance Movement High-Rankers). He's gonna be "Reaper Six". I also will be recruiting "The Hand", "The Swift" "The Annihilator", but Reaper is mine. Reaper = Killing the Union members, Loyalists included, The Hand = Propaganda/Recruitment, The Annihilator = Destruction of Union property, The Swift = The Messenger. If your characters have these qualities, sign up for the Black Infinitium in the IC Chat section. If you just want to resist the grasp of the Combine, join up. The group is also going to the Outlands... Eventually.

Offline Airborne1st

• I'm White
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 11:16:13 AM »
That would have probably been a good Outlands group though. Maybe you should have just done some light RP in the city and moved there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal