Author Topic: Serious Debate (ALL OPINONS ARE RESPECTED, NO TROLLS!)  (Read 8983 times)

Offline Kaiser Wilhelm I ?DetroitRP

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Serious Debate (ALL OPINONS ARE RESPECTED, NO TROLLS!)
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 08:03:33 PM »
Im sorry for the double post. You can take a post off me, I didnt realize I posted it cause I clicked the back button and it went all crazy. Same post below.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 08:08:43 PM by rickroller »

Offline Kaiser Wilhelm I ?DetroitRP

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 08:05:58 PM »
In my opinion, forum debates such as this one are next to impossible for two main reasons.

Firstly: nobody has/ cites any reliable sources.
I can pull a lolfact out of my ass to prove a point, and with the right language skills I can make said lolfact sound as official as you please.

Another problem is that people aren't always respectful of opposing viewpoints. A few posts up, people were calling religous teachings "bullshit" and deeming those in top religous positions "pricks."

Nobody will gain any understanding with this kind of stuff happening, and the "debate" runs an unnecessarily high risk of turning into an emotionally-driven flame-war.

Right now, this "Serious Debate" doesn't seem to be more than simply arguing for the sake of arguing.
Your point is invalid. I put up my works cited, and people seem to be very respectful so far. I believe in God, an I like Athesits, aslong as they can backup their point. I don't like anyone who can't backup thier thought, beilevers and non-Beilvers alike. Also Im very open to science cause its backed up. I like this community, its very mature.

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 08:10:11 PM »
Rick, you're the exception.

But anyway- I've given my two cents, I'll get outta here and let you guys do your thing.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 08:12:15 PM by YankeeSamurai »
o7

Offline Lewis

• Hey Restart Outlands
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 08:20:25 PM »
To be honest, I think the "Top 10 Gun" what ever will provoke some... multi-gaming platform Call of Duty flame war... maybe a more serious topic? I don't recall parliament ( Government ) debating which gun is best    :-\

Offline .:KFrohman:.

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
Figured I'd join the bandwagon. Going to state my opinions on two subjects:

1. Religion
2. Illegal Immigration

Let's start.

My thoughts on religion. Where to start... Alright.
I was religious for most of my life, aged 3 to 15. The only reason that was the case was because I was taken to church as a kid, and was pretty much forced to until 15, despite my dislikings of it. It is because of this force, I have noted that it's easy to brainwash kids at an early age.

Okay, brainwash probably wasn't the right word to use, but, implanting thoughts and theories into their minds is far easier when they're young and will believe anything. Personally, I'm totally against that, because they might have a restricted view of things later in life. This may also get them bullied at school for their beliefs. I think forcing ANYTHING onto a child that isn't mandatory is just wrong. I'm all for the ability for someone to choose their own beliefs, and not what their parents believe is best.

Come 15, I started to think differently. I questioned what I was fed as a kid, and still do. For the record, I was brought up in christianity. Certain things didn't quite make sense. This was probably helped by the fact there are loads of things questioning religion, trying to make sense of it. This led to a few mindfucks.

As for my opinion on other religions, particularly islam, I dislike their way of doing things. You know, mecca, only eating certain foods and the like. I can't imagine being islamic/jewish. It feels so restricted, but I guess if you wholly believe something, you'll do whatever makes it right. I also dislike how certain religions make their presence so in your face. It irks me. Just go away.

That's all I have for religion. Now for immigration.

I'm going to expand this to legal immigration too, since my opinions on this cover both sides of the line. Also worth noting, I'll be discussing eastern europeans mostly, since that makes up a large bulk of immigrants, along with arabs and indians (There's a fuckton in london).

I know that people have their reasons for coming over onto our land, be it legal or illegal. That doesn't bother me. What bothers me is their lack of understanding of our systems, customs - hell, even our language. For the sake of courtesy, I wouldn't dare visit another country with intentions of living there unless they understood english, or I understood their language to a semi-competent degree.
This is more a personal thing, but I have a dislike of their accents, particularly when they speak english. I find it difficult to understand. The accent masks things.

One good thing about them though, is they'll gladly take the jobs us brits won't. Just learn english properly.

My citations? None. This was all done through personal experiences. Problem?

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 09:45:22 PM »
know that people have their reasons for coming over onto our land, be it legal or illegal. That doesn't bother me. What bothers me is their lack of understanding of our systems, customs - hell, even our language. For the sake of courtesy, I wouldn't dare visit another country with intentions of living there unless they understood english, or I understood their language to a semi-competent degree.
This is more a personal thing, but I have a dislike of their accents, particularly when they speak english. I find it difficult to understand. The accent masks things.
One good thing about them though, is they'll gladly take the jobs us brits won't. Just learn english properly.

My citations? None. This was all done through personal experiences. Problem?
My view point too down to the letter but I may have a bigger issue with it than you.
For half the jobs in my area learning Latin-American Spanish is needed for most jobs I could get.

If I where to go to Spain I'd learn Spanish if I were to go to japan I'd learn jap I do it out of respect but because America does't have an official language and we can't fix it because of people like the ACLU saying THATS RACIST(Which BTW is the way I am treated every time I say my opinion.)
1:23 PM - Pvt. Emory[113thCav]: I think 604 is a cat :3

2:07 PM - Juggernaut: Monkey with a gun
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: + Chunkeymonkey79
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: =
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: CHUNKYMONKEY WITH A GUN69
2:07 PM - chunkeymonkey79: YOU SIR ARE GOD

9:52 PM - Rory Phelps: gosh god damnit fuck my ass

Offline Iora Rua ã??

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 05:39:10 AM »
Religion seems to be the most discussed topic here so i suppose I'll join in and say what i think. I'm going to make up a story that describes every religion and what they do.

Once apon a time in a land far far away........
An idiot got bored and decided to make up story about a man who made the world and does whatever the fuck he likes. After this man told that story, people began to follow him, respect him, and they wanted more stories because they were fuck bored in their sandy shithole of a home. So this man, a very creative man, decided to make up 1000 apon 1000 of stories, everyone enjoyed these stories and respected the man greatly. Soon other idiots saw what this idiot was doing and decided to do the same, but when idiot 1 saw what idiot 2 was doing he called idiot 2 and his followers liars and infidels, total fucking hypocrite. So they went to war with each other for the for-see-able future.

Morale of the story: Religion was made up to shield us from the horrible fact that we ARE alone on this planet. When you do something wrong don't go looking for some God for salvation, because he's not their.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal