Author Topic: Community feedback: Vortigaunt application  (Read 8398 times)

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Community feedback: Vortigaunt application
« on: December 08, 2011, 11:00:40 PM »
Player Information
Steam name:
Steam ID:
How long have you been roleplaying (any game)?
How long have you been playing serious Gmod RP?

Questions
Why do you want a Vortigaunt character? (1 paragraph minimum)
What do you envision yourself doing on your Vortigaunt character? (1 paragraph minimum)
Using your Vortigaunt character, how will you enhance the roleplay of those immediately around you? (1 paragraph minimum)
Using your Vortigaunt character, how will you enhance the roleplay of the server as a whole? (1 paragraph minimum)
Have you played as Vortigaunt character before? If so, state the community, length of time you had the character, and a description of roleplay situation that your character was involved in.
Will your Vortigaunt character take priority over your other hl2rp characters?

Character Information
Name:
Height:
Weight:
Description of physique:
Description of intellectual traits:
Description of personality:
Miscellaneous information:

Tasks
1.  Summarize the history of the Vortigaunt species (2 paragraphs minimum).
2.  Detail the advantages and limitations of Vortigaunt physical structure (2 paragraphs minimum).
3.  State what is known about Vortigaunt culture (1 paragraph minimum).
4.  In your own words, define the Vortessence and describe the nature of its relationship with Vortigaunts. (3 paragraphs minimum).
5.  Detail from a third-person standpoint how your Vortigaunt character would resolve the following scenario: Three angry rebels with weapons have cornered you inside the S6 XCCR and demand that you help them kill a loyalist citizen (2 paragraphs minimum).
6.  Detail from a third-person standpoint how your Vortigaunt character would resolve the following scenario: You have just observed a refugee trick a fellow refugee in a vastly unfair trading deal. The conman is about to escape with the unjustly-obtained goods.
7.  Create an original piece of writing which involves at least one Vortigaunt and at least two citizens. The scenario must include at least 30 lines of dialogue, of which at least 15 must be spoken by a Vortigaunt.

Extra notes:

General information about the application-

It's designed to provide a better evaluation of a player's roleplay skill as relating specifically to Vortigaunts.
The application might be a tad more fun for players to complete, and it gives players more chances to show off their writing skills and creativity.
It'll probably "be good for" one Vort for outlands and one Conscript Vort for the city.
I think it should require at least a week registered at CG, have 20 posts on the forums, and good community standing. People who play Vorts should be good representatives of CG as well as being active and participating members within the community.

I'll add more notes as I think of them.

Now for feedback. I need any critical, constructive feedback you've got. Go.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 01:34:06 AM by ChristmasYankee1405 »
o7

Offline FPSRussia

• AUTISTIC FAGGOT WHORE
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Community feedback: Vortigaunt application
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 11:54:52 PM »
Being a Vortiguant should be a privilege and should include more detail OOC of why you want to be one and what you can provide in the city if you are one. It should come close to a CCA application but mostly OOC info. Also note that you should probably have a good standin in the community to get a position as this (less then 1 ban, if any) Other than that you are good in my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 11:57:52 PM by oG]Purple|S| »
hello my name is Ryan Fournier. I am known on the internet as autism, and I like to pretend I am a little boy named Jamie Laou, a Justin Bieber look alike. I am not 18, so don't listen to me when I say I am. I'm roughly 13 years old.

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 12:16:12 AM »
Being a Vortiguant should be a privilege and should include more detail OOC of why you want to be one and what you can provide in the city if you are one. It should come close to a CCA application but mostly OOC info. Also note that you should probably have a good standin in the community to get a position as this (less then 1 ban, if any) Other than that you are good in my opinion.

Good point. Updated, added new questions-

Questions
Why do you want a Vortigaunt character? (1 paragraph minimum)
What do you envision yourself doing on your Vortigaunt character? (1 paragraph minimum)
Using your Vortigaunt character, how will you enhance the roleplay of those immediately around you? (1 paragraph minimum)
Using your Vortigaunt character, how will you enhance the roleplay of the server as a whole? (1 paragraph minimum)
o7

Offline Phalanx

• Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 12:44:32 AM »
I support this, though the only thing really missing is the backstory. We need a set application for ease on not only the applicants but the applicant reviewers.

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 12:52:55 AM »
I support this, though the only thing really missing is the backstory. We need a set application for ease on not only the applicants but the applicant reviewers.

I was thinking about adding a specific backstory question, but I decided that it wasn't necessary for the purposes of roleplay evaluation, and most of the Vort backstories tended to be the same anyway. Also, the people who are would be accepted would likely be good roleplayers and come up with a cool backstory on their own time.
o7

Offline Phalanx

• Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 12:57:02 AM »

I was thinking about adding a specific backstory question, but I decided that it wasn't necessary for the purposes of roleplay evaluation, and most of the Vort backstories tended to be the same anyway. Also, the people who are would be accepted would likely be good roleplayers and come up with a cool backstory on their own time.
Alright, I see what you mean. Hope this gets accepted because it's a good idea.

Offline Pirate Robot

• DEAD
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 05:57:15 AM »
Summarize the history of the Vortigaunt species (2 paragraphs minimum).
I would of thought you could summarize the History for the Vortigaunt species in a sentence or two, I'd cut it down to just one paragraph unless you disagree with me.

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 10:03:15 AM »
Summarize the history of the Vortigaunt species (2 paragraphs minimum).
I would of thought you could summarize the History for the Vortigaunt species in a sentence or two, I'd cut it down to just one paragraph unless you disagree with me.

Yeah, it might seem like there's not much to write about their history, but here's a tip- write four sentences about their history up to the 7 hour war, then write four sentences about what they've been doing since the 7 hour war. Shouldn't be too hard, right?
o7

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 10:03:22 PM »
Well, if there are no further issues that need to be discussed, I'll ask a developiller to make us a Vortigaunt forum board for an application thread, a roster, and maybe some other stuff.
o7

Offline connall

• LUA Monkey
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 06:14:53 AM »
Since I am still waiting for a reply on my application so maybe I don't have an opinion on this, but a couple of the answers seem more like a copy and paste job from the combine overwiki. Other than that I do like the idea of the scenario since it suggests you are already in the city, since coming up with a backstory was a pain as it created a few plot holes. So I will sit on the fence for this one.

Offline Ghosteh

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 09:18:07 AM »
I do support this but there's one thing.

I've got a vortigaunt, and a slave and I like these both because I haven't GOT to be active on them which I like since I can't always be, i've got a CWU already so maybe take away the activity part?

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 09:50:15 AM »
Since I am still waiting for a reply on my application so maybe I don't have an opinion on this, but a couple of the answers seem more like a copy and paste job from the combine overwiki. Other than that I do like the idea of the scenario since it suggests you are already in the city, since coming up with a backstory was a pain as it created a few plot holes. So I will sit on the fence for this one.

Hm, yeah... maybe I should rephrase the questions a bit so the answers don't seem as obvious?

I do support this but there's one thing.

I've got a vortigaunt, and a slave and I like these both because I haven't GOT to be active on them which I like since I can't always be, i've got a CWU already so maybe take away the activity part?

Lol, which activity part? And btw, I actually think you should be active on them just like with characters in any other faction. If you can't be active in all factions at once, it might be time to drop a few. For example, if you're juggling CCA and Vortigaunt and CWU and rebel characters, that might be a bit too much.
o7

Offline wag1

• somalian dry
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 11:51:35 PM »
It's... It's nice Yankee. I like it. Only thing is people could easily Hl2wiki this shit, maybe do a quiz OOCly? (Via vent/steam)

Offline Penguin

• Jesus Christ Is Real
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 12:11:09 AM »
Is this a CCA app or a vortigaunt app, a bit much just for a vortigaunt.

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 02:50:29 AM »
It's... It's nice Yankee. I like it. Only thing is people could easily Hl2wiki this shit, maybe do a quiz OOCly? (Via vent/steam)

I'm aware that people can simply use hl2wiki for the questions, but that's fine. Why? It forces those who don't already know the information to learn it and then further internalize it by putting it in their own words.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 03:15:39 AM by YankeeSamurai »
o7

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal