Author Topic: Citizens listening to the CP radio frequency  (Read 13563 times)

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Citizens listening to the CP radio frequency
« on: November 19, 2012, 01:04:38 AM »
Assuming a citizen somehow found out the CP radio frequency, would he ICly able to monitor it on his own radio?

Or is this one of those invisible RP walls you're not supposed to cross, what with "combine technology" and all
o7

Offline kmp

• 4chan is my friend
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Citizens listening to the CP radio frequency
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 01:18:19 AM »
If the RP is done, and it has been authed by an SA, I don't see an issue.
C18.MPF.RAZOR-OfC.448

Offline Scratchie

• test
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 01:39:18 AM »
It /could/ be done, but you'd have to reverse engineer the radio as it is technically preprogrammed before a unit gets it and they shouldn't icly be able to change it.

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 01:44:14 AM »
It /could/ be done, but you'd have to reverse engineer the radio as it is technically preprogrammed before a unit gets it and they shouldn't icly be able to change it.

We've roleplayed changing our own radio frequencies both for massive CCA-wide frequency switches, we've changed our radio frequencies temporarily to monitor suspect anti-citizen frequencies, and I've seen countless recruits being told to roleplay setting their radio frequencies for the first time. If what you say is true, it must be a relatively new thing.
o7

Offline Scratchie

• test
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 01:57:08 AM »
The way I've always thought of it as is a frequency update is done while the unit is off duty. But meh. It should be harder than getting a recruit and forcing it out of them. The only ones who would icly know would be high up in the command structure.

Radio's I've used in real life have always been programmed, and they had various channels programmed to certain frequencies.

Offline garry :D

• ~I LOVE a boat~
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 03:19:49 AM »
When I first started out here I stumbled across a bundle of radios and began to cycle through different frequencies and coincidentally found the CCA frequency. When I did join the frequency I quickly saw something like "Units, engineering teams have detected a radio intrusion" and I later heard in a separate case that it was against the rules (without auth) so I never really touched it since even though I have the necessary authorisations today. It has IC benefits but to a low-tech eavesdropper with a handheld set, I always expected them to be able to trace me.

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 08:39:02 AM »
Tracing with a radio? Wouldn't work on a channel like the CCAs, there's too many signals on it and last I checked GRID didn't have anything to triangulate(Might pull shit from their ass through).
1:23 PM - Pvt. Emory[113thCav]: I think 604 is a cat :3

2:07 PM - Juggernaut: Monkey with a gun
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: + Chunkeymonkey79
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: =
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: CHUNKYMONKEY WITH A GUN69
2:07 PM - chunkeymonkey79: YOU SIR ARE GOD

9:52 PM - Rory Phelps: gosh god damnit fuck my ass

Offline BltElite

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 10:42:49 AM »
If you could get a combines radio and then have osmebody with auths for some sort of physics and engineering combo mega knowledge they could extract the frequency out, or some sort of IT nut.
what

Offline raged

• hi im raged
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 12:34:37 AM »
The way I've always thought of it as is a frequency update is done while the unit is off duty. But meh. It should be harder than getting a recruit and forcing it out of them. The only ones who would icly know would be high up in the command structure.

Radio's I've used in real life have always been programmed, and they had various channels programmed to certain frequencies.

The ones I use irl have been programmed to work on a certain frequency but it's not really that hard to change it.

Offline Globey

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 03:53:39 PM »
GRID does actually have a means to triangulate. And it would be relatively easy to do, as only one individual can be live on the net at a time.
C45.CCA.GRID-DvL.604 - Healthy - Executing citizens. Tally: 4
John Gatsby - Healthy - Celebrating, having detonated an explosive melon in front of two CA's

--------------------------
Cutlass, Sail and Cannon:
Ernest Cumberbatch, Port Royal, Governor. Governing.
John Gatsby, of the brigantine Brimstone. Amputating Limbs

Offline tics

• The Artist Formerly Known as Ricky
  • Developer
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 05:17:57 PM »
We /used/ to have a rule against citizens using the frequency if they knew it. Don't know if that still exists, though.
Live free or die

Offline @Mmmaaattt94

• Britfag #1
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 05:55:59 PM »
As far as i know these rules still apply:

- The frequency is highly encrypted and is near impossible to crack without tech a civilian would nearly never be able to get.
- The only real way to get onto the frequency would be to take a radio from a captive CP. They cannot be dead as when a biosignal is lost, GRID made the radio wipe so it couldn't be taken.
- IF you were able to take a unit captive and get his/her radio. It would not be long until the frequency was changed as a unit was unaccounted for and was deemed MIA. Protocols state that with any unexplained MIA, the frequency would be changed as a security measure.

Basically, GRID & The Union have designed radio's to be near impossible to get, crack and use. A normal civie wouldn't be able to get one but if an auth app was made somehow explaining how the civilian attained the required hacking and decryption equipment.

EDIT: Also, ALL units have their radio's now ICly built into their helmet/faceplate. It is no longer a case of taking an object, rather taking an entire headset from a unit that without careful RP, you would set off trackers, alarms and biosignal losses as units shouldn't remove their mask/headset outside the Nexus.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 05:58:27 PM by ?=CG=? Mmmaaattt94 »

Offline YankeeSamurai

• /me spit on cp mask
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
- The frequency is highly encrypted and is near impossible to crack without tech a civilian would nearly never be able to get.
- The only real way to get onto the frequency would be to take a radio from a captive CP. They cannot be dead as when a biosignal is lost, GRID made the radio wipe so it couldn't be taken.
- IF you were able to take a unit captive and get his/her radio. It would not be long until the frequency was changed as a unit was unaccounted for and was deemed MIA. Protocols state that with any unexplained MIA, the frequency would be changed as a security measure.

Basically, GRID & The Union have designed radio's to be near impossible to get, crack and use. A normal civie wouldn't be able to get one but if an auth app was made somehow explaining how the civilian attained the required hacking and decryption equipment.

EDIT: Also, ALL units have their radio's now ICly built into their helmet/faceplate. It is no longer a case of taking an object, rather taking an entire headset from a unit that without careful RP, you would set off trackers, alarms and biosignal losses as units shouldn't remove their mask/headset outside the Nexus.

This initially struck me as the typical resistance-phobic meta-bullshit, but then again, maybe it's for the better. On one hand, I understand that gameplay could be unbalanced against the CCA by allowing any ol' civvie to listen into their communications. It's simply too easy for bad webul groups to obtain a radio and eavesdrop on units 24/7.

As much as I hate the endlessly ass-pulled CombineTech rules, I suppose they're sometimes necessary to maintain high standards. Only the most skilled groups should have the chance to acquire potentially roleplay-breaking abilities.
o7

Offline kmp

• 4chan is my friend
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 01:40:21 AM »
The only group that has the potential to do this is Third Eye, at the current moment.
C18.MPF.RAZOR-OfC.448

Offline garry :D

• ~I LOVE a boat~
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 02:08:44 AM »
The only group that has the potential to do this is Third Eye, at the current moment.

It takes the challenge out of everything though :(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal